• Announcements

• iacas

GAME GOLF Ryder Cup Contest   09/22/2016

Join our GAME GOLF Ryder Cup Challenge to win an autographed GAME GOLF, a Pebble Steel watch, and many more great prizes!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
G22inSC

rookie needs a wedge recommendation

13 posts in this topic

Just inherited a set of Ping Eye2s but the SW is missing.  I am just starting out and trying to learn so I don't know which way to go.  Should I contact Ping and inquire about a replacement SW to complete the set again or just pick up a modern day SW (like Vokey or any other)?  What would you'll do?

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

I personally would get a modern one like a vokey or mizuno wedge. Can't beat Them

just buy a decent used one that feels good. confidence is huge with wedges, so make sure they weigh and everything feels good.

my wife bought an old rusty cleveland wedge for $5 from golfsmith.

Check out GlobalGolf.com. They sell used clubs and there used wedges are actually in decent shape. I got my VR Pro's in "Very Good" condition from them, they look brand new. Never thought I'd stick with these wedges, just wanted to try them used before I dropped the $100+ per wedge but after seeing the quality I don't see why you wouldn't buy a used wedge.

Looks like I have a third option that I'm going with.  I called Ping and was informed they no longer have any SW molds left for the Eye2s.  I was speaking to my brother-in-law who stated he had a complete set (GW, SW, LW) from another family member that was never used and offered them to me.  Since I am trying to get started without breaking the bank right now (and since I probably can't tell the difference) I took him up on his offer.  I will now have the Eye2 PW and will add in the SW and LW.  That will give me a 50.5*, 56* and 60*.  I believe he stated they were Warrior Custom Golf clubs but I have never heard of them.  I'm sure their not the best since he is basically throwing them out.  Hopefully they are good enough to learn on.  Anyone have any experience with them?

Warrior is an economy-brand golf club maker. Not sure what to say on their wedges.

A possibility on upper-loft Eye2 wedges : In 2010 Ping issued the Eye2 XG wedges, an upgrade of the original design. Comes in 56.14 SW, and 60.13 LW. I have seen a couple of these here and there the past year. If interested, contact Golf Galaxy or Golfsmith and see if any regional shops still have any.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

its not about brand. for some i base most of my purchases on feel. i play a knight 56 and a callaway 60 and a pin seeker 52 so im all over the place. dont buy so much into brands right now as all my buddies tell everyone that starts out with us you can not buy buy a golf game you learn and earn your game. game what you can afford. the score card can not see whats in your bag. play the warriors if ya like them keep them. if not demo demo demo. hope this helps

Originally Posted by spam

its not about brand. for some i base most of my purchases on feel. i play a knight 56 and a callaway 60 and a pin seeker 52 so im all over the place. ...

It depends. Lots of people like to keep their specialty wedges (GW, SW, LW) all from the same model. That way, it's easier to get wedges that work together as a team, to get a consistent distance matrix for partial shots. This could be custom Edel wedges (close to $200 each), or basic Adams Tom Watson wedges ($100 for a G-S-L Three-Pak).

Other people like a "mixed bag" when it comes to wedges, or clubs in general. With some small brands, you have durability problems.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Agreed wutiger but as a rookie why spend a bunch on wedges that you may not like. I would say hit as many as ya can. And at the end of the day buy what you like no matter the brand. If its cheap and you like it buy it. I play mixed and only one is a major brand IMO. If I was in the market for wedges now I would definitely be trying out better brands but as of now I'm happy with what I have. At the end of the day the message from me is demo and buy what you like regardless of brand.

Warrior will work just fine.  If irons are Ping Eye2, PW is 50*.  If irons are Ping Eye2+, Pw is 48*( in this case you would want to use Warrior GapWedge at 52*and not use any iron longer than a 5 iron),

I'm a big fan of the NIke wedges. Just make sure you get one that has some weight to it—some of them are feather light, which is great for lobs, but not much else.

For the beginner golfsmith carries a 3 pack of wedges I believe.  Just learn how to hit them and don't worry about brand etc. Just yet.  Pay attention to turf interaction and adjust your wedge bounces accordingly.  Ask a golfsmith guy for help too, sometimes it results in a free fitting.