IGNORED

The Death of "links style" as an Adjective

Note: This thread is 6259 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
I like playing "links style" course, but I hate calling them that. Most "links style" courses aren't near a body of water, they don't have stacked-sod pot bunkers, little "burns," double greens, etc. They're just typical American golf courses with a little tall grass and less trees than normal.

So, rather than call these courses "links style" (a term that's waaaaaaay overused), what would you call them? What names can you come up with, or what names have you heard used that apply more than "links style"?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think the term "Links Style" is over used as well. The term for us here is "Desert Course" and courses will use that even if they only have once cactus on the course, lol.

US courses are like US wine, they are named after the particular grape with little regards to the % of content. I'd like to see there be a little more structure and enforcement to what style a course is.

I agree that "links" is over used and ambiguous...it is a confusing term.

I never thought of alternatives, but here are some off the top of my head:

1. For those which in fact are near the ocean, I like "Seaside."

2. For inland courses in the US in non-treed areas, I like either "Farmland", "Grassland," or "Prairie."

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

2. For inland courses in the US in non-treed areas, I like either "Farmland", "Grassland," or "Prairie."

I like this idea, similar to what European wine makers do (Yeah, I've got wine on the mind, is it 5 yet?), by naming it after the region. The only problem I see with that is many states (mine included) can have a wide array of terrain, so would people be more or less confused?

Lol, I hate these type of courses, though. I seem to always play them really bad.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

Lol, I hate these type of courses, though. I seem to always play them really bad.

And I play my best on those. My best round ever came at one of those down at Myrtle Beach. And the greens were aerated and had holes all over them, and I still shot good.

For someone who sprays his mishits into the wrong area code, "links style" golf courses are your friend. But, I think "Links style" is fine. I can't think of anything else to call it - at least not anything that would stick.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

Sure Links may be overused but I still like it, sounds kind of classy.
We have a few of those style courses in the area but I have only played one of them so far & I enjoyed it a lot. My playing partner did not enjoy it, especially the back 9, I lost count of how many balls he lost.

I am all for keeping the name, although I do like these as well "Farmland", "Grassland,".

I think the term "Links Style" is over used as well. The term for us here is "Desert Course" and courses will use that even if they only have once cactus on the course, lol.

Deserts don't have to have a cactus to be a desert. I like the name of "desert course" here in the Valley though. It's something different than the "Links style course" that is mentioned every where else.

I love these types of courses, and calling the Grassland courses is the right term.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

agree with this

IMO we should call them new ugly courses without trees. They never play like links courses anyway, the ball never runs up properly and you cant hit a variety of shots like you could on a true links course. To me most courses that advertise "links style" are only that way because they are new and dont have mature trees yet.

Note: This thread is 6259 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!