IGNORED

My Swing (agross)

agross
Note: This thread is 3871 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 2 months

My average score is:  110

My typical ball flight is:  250+ if I hit it straight, 230 if the slice hits.

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is:  Driver Slice/Iron Pull

Videos:

In the bag:

Amp Cell Driver (red) 9.5*D

Amp Cell 3-4FW (silver) 3D, 5-7FW (silver) 6D

Amp Cell 3-4H (silver) 3D

CG2 irons 5-PW

CG14 56*, CG 16 52*, 60*

Prestwick blade putter

Hex Hot Yellow Balls

I'm no expert by any means, but I believe you have the classic "over the top" swing here. The driver slice or pull left is the giveaway, as that was my old shot pattern. When I had my swing analyzed by an instructor on video, he showed my very clearly that I was initiating the swing with my arms, and the club would come across the ball from outside to inside, imparting a lot of slice spin. In your case as a lefty, the club head is likely moving from the left to the right as it strikes the ball. You have to undo that, and it's not simple. Lots of tips here on the site--- provided I've diagnosed it correctly. I can't put your swing in slow-mo, but it looks like my old swing.

FYI- I was never able to get under 90, until I totally reworked it. Now that I swing from the inside to the outside, I mostly draw the ball. My scores are also mid-80s. It's a more consistent swing from inside to out, compared to the outside to in. More solid too.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Also, an obvious fix to me (and I'm no expert, as I said) is to transfer your weight better. Your weight should be on your lead leg at the finish of the swing, whereas you are leaning back quite a bit.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Thanks for the response.  I was afraid of the OTT swing.  I had been thinking I was just leaving the clubhead open at impact (okay kind of hoping that since it would be an easier fix).  The weight transfer part of it I have been working on recently, but it's hard as heck for me since I'm a prior baseball player where I always swung off the rear foot.  Once again, thanks for the insight.

In the bag:

CG2 irons 5-PW

CG14 56*, CG 16 52*, 60*

Prestwick blade putter

Hex Hot Yellow Balls

Hope my thoughts are correct! I never thought I was OTT until I saw in slow mo. Funny how I stubbornly felt for years that none if the OTT stuff applied to me. That was the "other guy" who didn't know better. Then I got my diagnosis proven to me and I felt like "duh". So try to confirm it. Watch in slow mo critically. Hopefully an expert here might confirm.

My Swing

• 4 weeks later...

So I've been working on the OTT part of my swing.  Hopefully in a couple of weeks I can get another updated video on here (busy with work and getting married in almost exactly 4 weeks).  One thing I have noticed is if I over correct I get a nasty hook (I know, most people say start hitting a hook and you know how to fix it then).  My problem is that if I try to back track and find a happy medium I'm still either nasty hook or nasty slice - there's no "happy" place I can find.  One of the conscious efforts I have made is making sure my right hip is "locked" in place at the start of my swing so I don't open my hips too soon - which seems to help a bit.  Other adjustments are being conscious of my feet at address, putting my left foot a bit back or "closing" my stance seems to help.  Can anyone tell me if I'm on the right track with these adjustments or do I need to just scrap it for a bit until I can actually get time for a lesson from a pro? I've been playing nothing but 3w off the tee since starting this because I'm getting an average of 240 in the middle of the fairway with it - which I'm ecstatic about, but if I could get a few extra yards once in a while, why wouldn't I want to improve my driver swing?

In the bag:

CG2 irons 5-PW

CG14 56*, CG 16 52*, 60*

Prestwick blade putter

Hex Hot Yellow Balls

You seem to be experimenting with a lot of different ideas, and while one may or may not work for a while, you aren't prioritizing changing your swing...at all or correctly.

The first thing that tour players do, that you don't, is hit the ground after the ball consistently, and very close together.  Based on your front video, I doubt that happens with any consistency.  Address that first.

Your right knee should flex toward your right foot, which will keep more weight on your lead foot.  Keep letting your right leg straighten and turn your hips how you currently do.   This will give you a chance at hitting the ground correctly with your irons.  If you are doing it right, you will feel a lot more pressure on your right knee.  It's just a new sensation, give it time.

This will also give you a better chance at drawing the ball consistently, which is where you should go next after making solid contact.  If you hit it 240, you have plenty of distance for now.

Another thing you should do is learn the ball flight laws.  If my face is pointed this way, and my club head moves this way, it imparts this spin.  Understanding this will vastly accelerate you golf improvement.

You seem to be experimenting with a lot of different ideas, and while one may or may not work for a while, you aren't prioritizing changing your swing...at all or correctly.

The first thing that tour players do, that you don't, is hit the ground after the ball consistently, and very close together.  Based on your front video, I doubt that happens with any consistency.  Address that first.

Your right knee should flex toward your right foot, which will keep more weight on your lead foot.  Keep letting your right leg straighten and turn your hips how you currently do.   This will give you a chance at hitting the ground correctly with your irons.  If you are doing it right, you will feel a lot more pressure on your right knee.  It's just a new sensation, give it time.

This will also give you a better chance at drawing the ball consistently, which is where you should go next after making solid contact.  If you hit it 240, you have plenty of distance for now.

Another thing you should do is learn the ball flight laws.  If my face is pointed this way, and my club head moves this way, it imparts this spin.  Understanding this will vastly accelerate you golf improvement.

Thanks for the input.  I guess what I failed to convey in my post is that I am trying to swing more in to out, so I was using my hip and foot placement to attempt to get my path in the right direction.  I read the ball flight laws and I am definitely swing out to in on my "natural" swing - I have a textbook straight slice.  Ball goes straight for 150 yards and then makes a hard left turn for another 150.

As far as the hitting the ground - you're spot on.  I am a picker and have been trying to work on that with my irons as well.  I seem to be able to do it with wedges, but once I get to a 9 iron or anything more I lose the ground contact.  I still catch myself ending on my back foot just like I'm hitting a baseball, so I feel a lot of work coming to get that out of my swing.

In the bag:

CG2 irons 5-PW

CG14 56*, CG 16 52*, 60*

Prestwick blade putter

Hex Hot Yellow Balls

Thanks for the input.  I guess what I failed to convey in my post is that I am trying to swing more in to out, so I was using my hip and foot placement to attempt to get my path in the right direction.  I read the ball flight laws and I am definitely swing out to in on my "natural" swing - I have a textbook straight slice.  Ball goes straight for 150 yards and then makes a hard left turn for another 150.

As far as the hitting the ground - you're spot on.  I am a picker and have been trying to work on that with my irons as well.  I seem to be able to do it with wedges, but once I get to a 9 iron or anything more I lose the ground contact.  I still catch myself ending on my back foot just like I'm hitting a baseball, so I feel a lot of work coming to get that out of my swing.

Feel like you're pushing down with your lead foot to start the downswing.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

The weight transfer part of it I have been working on recently, but it's hard as heck for me since I'm a prior baseball player where I always swung off the rear foot.

I agree the weight transfer is the big thing that sticks out for me in our swing.  As a former baseball player, it may help to think about hitting a line drive or hitting the ball into a "gap" as in when you are playing "hit and run" rather than a full swing.  That may put the weight transfer idea into something your body can understand and get you off your back foot.

Thanks for the tips, folks.  I'll be working on it.

In the bag:

CG2 irons 5-PW

CG14 56*, CG 16 52*, 60*

Prestwick blade putter

Hex Hot Yellow Balls

Note: This thread is 3871 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!