IGNORED

New Irons?

Note: This thread is 6118 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ok, I'll come right out and say this. I'm sick of my X-14s. So for next years golf season, I've decided to get new ones! Ok, so this is how its gonna work:

I've narrowed my selection down to 5 choices. Choices marked with @ have been approved by my teacher.
  • Titleist 690 CB I hit these irons today at my course and fired off a 37. Pretty damn good for the first time hitting a new set of irons. They have a nice, consistent feel that I love. @
  • Callaway X-Forged I've only hit the pitching wedge once but liked the overall feel to the club. These are the irons that my instructor hits and has been playing extremely well the past few days. @ (duh!)
  • Titleist 735.CM I've only hit these at my local golf store but like the over all look and feel of them.
  • Titleist 755 I've never actually hit these but I like the looks of them and have heard great things about their performance.
  • Muzuno MP-60 I've played a few times with these irons and really like the feel of them. The only thing that is preventing me from buying them is that the trajectory is somewhat inconsistent making it harder for me to shape shots. @

So what do you think? Just remember that I am a 6.1 handicaper with a 110 mph swing speed.
In the Bag
Driver: FT-3 Fusion Driver
Fairway Woods: FT-3 Fusion 5 Wood
Hybrids: FT Fusion Hybrid
Irons: ZB Forged 4-PWWedges: X-Tour (52,56,60)Putter: Rossa Daytona 1

I used to play with X-12s until this year. I have switched to MP-60s. I have more ball control and they hit pure with a good swing. I cannot be more pleased. I will say that you cannot go wrong with any of the clubs you are looking at. I also have a set of Titleist 735s that a great as well but enjoy playing with the MPs more. Good luck with you choice. Take you time when finding the right fit. Definitely try to play with each set if you can.
Lawson

905R fujikura 27.5
X 15 degree
MP 60
Oil Can 53 & 56
Trusty Rusty 61 Circa 62 #6 pro v1

I've narrowed my selection down to 5 choices. Choices marked with

Golf is a game of misses, so I recommend using the equipment that helps you the most

Just remember that I am a 6.1 handicaper with a 110 mph swing speed.

This tells a fitter nothing about your game, I know a 1 handicap player with a 85 mph swing speed. What is the strength of your game? Iron play, short game, putting?

Based on what you've said, sounds like the 690 CB or X-Forged suit your eye and feel though. Buying new equipment is fun, good luck and happy hunting. PS - I've always found Uinta golf to have the best prices in town.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

the 690 MB are great, How come the mp 32's or 67's didnt make it on the list? If you dont want blades its one thing, but the 32's are really forgiving for blades, as much as the 60's, meyself however, will be upgrading to the 67's

• Administrator
  • Titleist 690 CB I hit these irons today at my course and fired off a 37. Pretty damn good for the first time hitting a new set of irons. They have a nice, consistent feel that I love. @

Just curious: why the 690 CB and not the 690.CB (the later versions) OR the 695CBs, which are most recent of all? Does your instructor have some really old inventory he wants to push on you?

My vote would be the 735s. They're really quite good, and the muscle-back like 8/9/P are nice. I just wish it started at about the 6-iron instead.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

the 690 MB are great, How come the mp 32's or 67's didnt make it on the list? If you dont want blades its one thing, but the 32's are really forgiving for blades, as much as the 60's, meyself however, will be upgrading to the 67's

Well I hit both of these at my local store and didn't think that they had the same feel as the 60s. Maybe I was wrong. I'll go and hit them again next time I get a chance and get back to you.

Just curious: why the 690 CB and not the 690.CB (the later versions) OR the 695CBs, which are most recent of all? Does your instructor have some really old inventory he wants to push on you?

No, the 690's were just the ones that I hit and the ones that I liked. I have no problem hitting with old clubs just as long as they feel good to me. Take, for example, my FT-3. I frickin' love that club!

What is the strength of your game? Iron play, short game, putting?

My strengths are driving, putting, and mid to short iron shots. My longer irons could use some work though.

I've been to Uinta more times that I can count . But there is a new store that is five minutes away instead of 30 and their prices are comparable.
In the Bag
Driver: FT-3 Fusion Driver
Fairway Woods: FT-3 Fusion 5 Wood
Hybrids: FT Fusion Hybrid
Irons: ZB Forged 4-PWWedges: X-Tour (52,56,60)Putter: Rossa Daytona 1

I went through what you are going through just a couple of months ago....I went with the MP-67s with the ProjectX 5.5 shaft and I can hit shoots that I never even dreamed of making.

I wasn't a big fan of the X-forged, they were a bit chunky for my eye, that's just me. I hit them pretty well but the look was already poisoning my mind so took them off my list.

MP-60s are a really nice feeling and looking club but I think if you are considering those then you really have to look at the 690.CBs. I think they are a better club then the MP-60s.

I compared the MP-32 and the MP-67 very closely and it ended up that I hit the MP-67 better then the MP-32 so I went with them.

Note: This thread is 6118 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!