IGNORED

Aeration Plug partial underground- Loose Impediment?

MEfree
Note: This thread is 3878 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
As far as dropping vs placing when you are in an aeration hole, there is a logical argument that it is similar to an embedded ball, so the relief should be similar.

I apologize.

You fight with Fourputt, myself, and others who disagree with your take on the rules and your attempts to change them so frequently that I took your response as another argument in favor of placing it.

My response was meant to say that there's no logical argument for placing the ball in this situation. There isn't.

But you agree with Fourputt, and in my haste, I misread your response.

I apologize again.

I'm glad that we agree that there's no logical argument for placing. You get to drop, and courses that allow lift, clean, and place are doing so against the advised local rule.

Edit: Given my mistake, which I've admitted to here, I deleted your response M as it wouldn't make much sense anymore. Should you need to hear (read) it again, I goofed in understanding what you were saying when responding to Fourputt. Sorry.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

In my case, when I looked back at the fairway from the green, it appeared that only the left side of the fairway had been aerated and 3 or 4 maintenance guys were out picking up the plugs as we played the hole.  This was #13 and I did not notice any other holes being affected.  I can only assume, but maybe their strategy was to aerate half the fairway, then pick up the plugs before aerating the other half.  As I think I mentioned before, there was a notice in the Men's room giving about a 3 week time frame for fairway aeration.

I'm starting to feel like I'm an accomplice to a bad accident.  You would not be able to treat half the fairway as GUR, not sure if that's what you were implying.

Fourputt, has given you correct information regarding the rules as it pertains to aeration.

If you and I are playing a fairway in the process of being aerated, I don't care if you kick a few plugs out of the way, clean your ball and place it.....you'd probably drop it into a hole twice and place it anyway.  I don't think a fairway in this state is a golf hole properly set up for play.  But, that's just my opinion, not based on any rules.  You originally asked a good question and you got correct answers, I'm not quite sure if we need to be on post #38. :-)

BTW, my partner and I lost the finals of our club's 4-ball match play tournament today.  The greens were aerated a week ago, and I'm sure this is why I did not make more putts.  Oh well. :-(

Regards,

John

If you and I are playing a fairway in the process of being aerated, I don't care if you kick a few plugs out of the way, clean your ball and place it.....you'd probably drop it into a hole twice and place it anyway.  I don't think a fairway in this state is a golf hole properly set up for play.  But, that's just my opinion, not based on any rules.  You originally asked a good question and you got correct answers, I'm not quite sure if we need to be on post #38.

BTW, my partner and I lost the finals of our club's 4-ball match play tournament today.  The greens were aerated a week ago, and I'm sure this is why I did not make more putts.  Oh well.

I've played on a lot of aerated fairways, and I've never had to drop more than twice in one round, and I don't recall ever having to redrop.  It's not like every tee shot ends up in a hole.  And the course is quite playable during and after aeration as long as the rules are implemented properly.  I don't even mind playing aerated greens that much as long as they are properly treated afterward to smooth out the holes.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I don't even mind playing aerated greens that much as long as they are properly treated afterward to smooth out the holes.

So now you're telling me I lost because of my PUTTING STROKE??  Cruel, very cruel.

Regards,

John

Thanks for the replies- To summarize

1.  Most golf courses INCORRECTLY play "lift, clean & place" for all balls coming to rest on aerated fairways instead of the USGA recommended lift, clean and drop only when a player's ball comes to rest in an aeration hole.

2.  Some feel an aeration plug partially above ground and partially below ground may be a loose impediment, some are not sure and some think it is not a loose impediment.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

• Administrator
1.  Most golf courses INCORRECTLY play "lift, clean & place" for all balls coming to rest on aerated fairways instead of the USGA recommended lift, clean and drop only when a player's ball comes to rest in an aeration hole.

I don't think the use of the word "most" is correct, no. "Most" GOLFERS might be true, but I don't think anyone's said "most golf courses" and if they did, they have no real way of knowing outside of their memory of the courses they've played.

2.  Some feel an aeration plug partially above ground and partially below ground may be a loose impediment, some are not sure and some think it is not a loose impediment.

I don't think that's an accurate summation. I think virtually everyone here (who isn't you) would take it on a case by case basis depending on their application of the definition of both "loose" and the definition of "solidly embedded." You can't make blanket claims about all aeration plugs that are "partially below ground" and I don't think anyone here has done so either.

The thread's answered the original question, and past experience says that if left unlocked it will simply become about THESE new and tangentially related things, so…

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 3878 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!