IGNORED

What Is The One Shot You Wish You Could Copy From A PGA Player

Mulligan Jeff
Note: This thread is 3824 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Short game for me, no contest. When around the green and in bunker those guys seem to hit it within 6 feet at most every time and usually it's a tap in. I either hit it good like that or run it by 15-20 feet. chipping, chipping, chipping

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Fairway bumkers. I suck out of fairway bunkers. I am delighted when I just don't hit the lip. It is amazing how those guys not only hit greens, they hit them close to the pin.

Bill M

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Fairway bumkers. I suck out of fairway bunkers. I am delighted when I just don't hit the lip. It is amazing how those guys not only hit greens, they hit them close to the pin.

It's funny, about a year ago I would've said the same thing. I either hit them fat, which meant another shot from the bunker, or hit the lip, which would result in any number of following shots. Here's my advice:

Think about how many times you have actually PRACTICED fairway bunker shots. Probably not a lot, unless you were on a high school or college team or work on it. They don;t generally have them at driving ranges. I played alone once, and hit about 100 shots out of fairway bunkers on different holes. I had about 15 balls in my bag and hit all of them from every bunker. One was around 150 away. Another 200. etc. It allowed me to get comfortable with which clubs would produce acceptable results.

Honestly, you probably have a mental block against them m ore than anything. Striking down on them with club-first contact and one or two clubs longer than you would hit from the grass at that length should be good enough for starters. If you have a low ball flight naturally, the lip may be a problem, yes, because you really need to get them airborne, and while slightly thin in the fairway isn;t tragic, it is in the bunker. I agree that pros make them look pretty easy, but they make a lot of things pretty easy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by phan52

Originally Posted by mmoan2

It's funny, about a year ago I would've said the same thing. I either hit them fat, which meant another shot from the bunker, or hit the lip, which would result in any number of following shots. Here's my advice:

Think about how many times you have actually PRACTICED fairway bunker shots. Probably not a lot, unless you were on a high school or college team or work on it. They don;t generally have them at driving ranges. I played alone once, and hit about 100 shots out of fairway bunkers on different holes. I had about 15 balls in my bag and hit all of them from every bunker. One was around 150 away. Another 200. etc. It allowed me to get comfortable with which clubs would produce acceptable results.

Honestly, you probably have a mental block against them m ore than anything. Striking down on them with club-first contact and one or two clubs longer than you would hit from the grass at that length should be good enough for starters. If you have a low ball flight naturally, the lip may be a problem, yes, because you really need to get them airborne, and while slightly thin in the fairway isn;t tragic, it is in the bunker. I agree that pros make them look pretty easy, but they make a lot of things pretty easy.

I agree that is the goal, but the longer club means a lower ball flight and that is when I hit the lip a lot. Lately, I have a tendency to just wedge out to an acceptable distance from the green and try to get up and down from there instead of going for the green.

As you say, practice is usually the cure for anything in golf, but that particular shot is probably the only one that I have never practiced. It doesn't exist on our range, or any range I have access to.

Bill M

For where my game is today, it'd have to be the long drive in the fairway. Heck, it wouldn't even have to be particularly long by pro standards, I would gladly take a consistent 250-260 yarder in the short grass any day of the week.

I agree that is the goal, but the longer club means a lower ball flight and that is when I hit the lip a lot. Lately, I have a tendency to just wedge out to an acceptable distance from the green and try to get up and down from there instead of going for the green.

As you say, practice is usually the cure for anything in golf, but that particular shot is probably the only one that I have never practiced. It doesn't exist on our range, or any range I have access to.

I hear you about the practice thing. That's why I say if you have time when you could play a "practice round" as a solo during an off-peak time like a weekday afternoon, you could putz around out of fairway bunkers and no one would care. I had never practiced a single fairway bunker shot and one day I was buried in one and thought "Gee, it sure would be nice to practice these once in a while." The next week I did and now I'm fairly consistent out of those bunkers. With an 8.4 HDCP, I'm sure it must kill you to have to basically eat a shot every time you're in a fairway bunker by hitting wedge. If you're consistent with wedge, you should be able to strike an 8 or 7 darn well and turn 100 yards from the green on the next shot into a chip. Good luck!

Short game... that's in my mind what really separates a low double digit from a solidt mid single digit: around the green and putting is what makes a 77 instead of an 81-82 or worse. The missed green becoming a chip and a putt is what I am missing as well as a consistent putting stroke that doesn't miss 3-4 footers for birdie or save par.

Francesco Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 8.5* PX Tour 7C3 6.0 - Wood: :titleist: 910 F.d 15* PX Tour 8C4 6.0 - Hybrid: :titleist: 910H 19* PX Tour HD2 6.0 - Irons: :titleist: ZB Forged 4-PW S300 - Wedges: :vokey: 52*.08, 56*.11, 60*.04 - Putter: :titleist: Studio Select Newport 2 35" - Ball: :titleist: ProV1x - Bag: :titleist: Midsize Staff - :bushnell: Tour V2

Quote:
I'll take the 180 yard 7 iron to 4 feet.

This, pick a tour pro, give me his iron swing. If I have the iron swing of a tour pro than I won't need to short game of a tour pro. Since if those guys played the courses I play they would basically hit every green in regulation.

High long iron draw like Ben Hogan was known to hit...although he usually played a fade.

Lee

In My Bag... Driver:Titleist 913D3  3 Wood: Dunlop 16deg railer  Hybr:Titleist 910H 24deg  4-GW:Mizuno JPX825Pros

Sand Wedge: Titleist Vokey 256-14  60deg: Mizuno Zoid   Putter: Odyssey WH Rossie (Left handed)

Note: This thread is 3824 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!