Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hunter991

New Irons, Calloway Xhot vs G20 ping

4 posts in this topic

Can anyone comment on these 2 sets? I hit a number of clubs this afternoon and these are the two I hit most consistent. I am looking for a very forgiving club, game improvement. I noticed I hit the calloways about 20 yards further on the monitor on a consistent basis. This shocked me.

Any comments? are both pretty much the same?

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Both are an excellent set of clubs, well made but are they the same?  Not for you and that is what is the most important....which one could you hit further and straighter? That is the set for you should consider the most.

That's the shafts, now let's compare the full clubs.

6 Iron Comparisons

Model

Loft

Shaft Length

Callaway X2.Hot

26°

37.625”

Ping G20

29°

37.250”

From here, the X2.Hot is almost a half inch longer and 3 degrees stronger in loft than the G20. Pretty much a full club difference in specs.

I have hit both the X2.Hot and the G20 on different days. From my notes, I got a bit above 160 yards with both 6 irons. The X2.Hot was harder to feel at the top, and I got a draw or hook on half the shots. I could feel the G20 a bit better throughout the swing, and got a mix of draw and fade shots.

So, the X2.Hot might work better for  me with an 85 S.flex, or maybe a slightly heavier NS Pro shaft.

But back to you.... note Derrick's advice:

Both are an excellent set of clubs, well made but are they the same?  Not for you and that is what is the most important....which one could you hit further and straighter? ...

You want to balance distance and control in your set. That's why I mentioned possibly getting a heavier shaft if I go with X2.Hot.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

OT I know, but it would be Nice, if manufactures could at least stay within a degree or 2 on the same numbered clubs.

Comparing those, you should take a 5i Ping to compare to the Callaway 6i...goofy stuff.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2016 TST Partners

GAME Golf
    PING Golf
    Lowest Score Wins
  • Popular Now

• The course with my absolute favorite greens is Eaton Country Club which, despite the name, is far cheaper golf than most courses. A membership is something around $100 a month with no initiation fee or food requirement if I remember correctly. Play golf once a week and you're paying only $25 a round with cart for 18 holes, which is a far better deal than any other course in the area (the 9 hole course I work at is the cheapest in my city at $25 for 9 holes with cart). The greens at this course stimp between 11 and 12 on a daily basis and are the smoothest that I've ever set foot on. Their maintenance crew is fantastic about fixing every little imperfection in the greens. They go over them with a fine-toothed comb every evening to fix anything on the green.  I know there must be some kind of limit to how much play a green like this could sustain, but the course has looked this way every time I've played it (including weekends, weekdays, and such). It's not an enormously busy golf course though, and I don't think it would work on the courses that regularly see 200 or more golfers. I would be willing to bet good money though that, given equal traffic, good maintenance will definitely produce a much higher quality putting surface. The course I used to work for had two people assigned to fix ball marks on the course once a week, both of which had issues with their backs that made bending over for any extended period of time uncomfortable. The greens at that course clearly showed it, with unfixed or only partially fixed ball marks marring every putting surface. The course I currently work at has a maintenance crew that fixes marks whenever they're out to water as well as marshalls that are assigned a couple of holes to maintain during their shifts and I notice that the greens here have many fewer ball marks across the greens. The maintenance crew is also diligent when it comes to regularly verticutting, needle-tining, etc. all of the greens to ensure that they're in top shape. They water the greens up to four times a day depending on the weather conditions as compared to the old course only watering in the evenings and sometimes mornings to save money. As a result the greens at my current course are much more lush and smooth than those at the course I used to work and play at, and I know the difference is the care and attention to the maintenance of the greens (they have similar player traffic).
    • To clarify, I have a push cart. I don't have an umbrella, yet. That probably would have done loads of good keeping the sun from beating down on me. I've got one picked out, but just haven't pulled the trigger yet.  Shooting an 86 was a "decent" to "good" round for me. I felt like I played well. My ball striking was above average today. I had 7 GIR and 7 nGIR. I had 37 putts today, which was my score killer. Oddly enough, most of my 3 putts were on my GIRs! I say this because in the super heat I would think that ball striking would be the first to go, but it didn't for me. Putting was mainly because I'm still working on breaking old habits I had with my old putter and moving to my new putter. Lines were always spot on but I would go back to "popping" the ball like I did with my old putter and would lose it way past the hole.  Definitely need to pick up that umbrella. I imagine that would help a ton. I'm 28 years old and in pretty darn good health/shape and I would have probably died had I actually carried my bag today... lol. Even my lighter "carry" bag.
    • For irons, last year at a Titleist fitting they said I should get the AP1's with the XP 90 gram shaft with a +1/2.  This year I did another free open fitting and they said they wouldn't need to adjust the shaft but I don't remember what shaft they recommended.  Just got fit for a driver last Thursday but i don't think that helps. Scheduled a fitting for Saturday afternoon but who knows if the clubs will still be available then. 
    • I would say nicer golf courses tend to have better greens because of the money it takes to maintain them.  I would say that greens that can routinely hold up to being cut short probably have a healthier denser grass with stronger root systems that allow it to resist damage from pitch marks. I've played on course in Dayton where a pitch mark will just tear up the green versus another course where it just leaves a slight indentation. 
    • Give that man an icy cold beer, stat! I'm relatively young, and I'd take the cart for the breeze between shots and holes as well as the portable shade. What's the point in suffering unless you are practicing for competition in similar conditions? For anyone, I think the physical metabolic toll of moving all that water through to stay cool would tend to lower scores. But you do get longer drives than typical playing conditions, and you may feel extra limber. Older folks face potential heat stroke risk, because they aren't as efficient with heat regulation as a healthy adult. If you are healthy and that's your only day free to play, why not.
  • TST Blog Entries

• Images

• Today's Birthdays

1. chriswuk
      chriswuk
      (25 years old)
    2. Gero
      Gero
      (73 years old)
    3. SUPGolfer
      SUPGolfer
      (46 years old)