IGNORED

Buying New Iron Set - Help Me Choose!

Note: This thread is 6123 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been reading reviews after reviews on a slew of iron sets. I don't know what my handicap is... but I know I normally shoot low 90's on a regular basis. I'm looking for a game improvement set that will also allow me to grow into them as my scores get better.

I'm currently using Palmer Original II Iron's. My iron shots are all pretty straight but just can't seem to nail down the distances yet. Ironically, I seem to be getting too much distance from a lot of my iron shots. For example, I will use my PW for 145yd shots, 9I for 150-155yd etc... I believe the reason for my distance is that I like to hit the ball on the way down rather than a swooping action to get under the ball.

I think I've narrowed down my search to the clubs below:

Mizuno MX-25
Callaway X-20
Taylor Made R7 CGB Max
Titleist 775 CB

Can anyone make any suggestions? Also, what type of shaft should I be looking for? Up until now my shafts are steel regular flex. With so many options on the market, I'm so confused!! :(

Also, I'm regular height (6ft tall), should I still consider getting my clubs fitted? Any info would you be appreciated.

P.S - Just purchased new Taylor Made R7 Draw Driver.. will report back on how it feels and the results... excited about it!

PJStyles

Get fitted. If you don't then you'll be gambling. You might get lucky and you probably won't. The reality is that you probably won't even know if they are the best clubs for you, regardless of how you think you are playing with them, unless you get fitted.

TaylorMade R11S TP Blur 60 X
TayloreMade R11S TP Blur 70 X

Titleist 910H 21&24
Miura Tournament Blades 5-PW DGX100 Tour Issue
Cleveland CG16 52

Miura Black Wedge 56, 60
Newport 2 Teryllium Ten

Titleist ProV1x

So how does getting fitted work? What's the process? Presumably, I still have decide on a set of clubs before I get fitted... so what should I be looking for and how do I go about deciding which club set to get before fitting them? What's the cost with getting clubs fitted?

No. Choosing clubs is part OF the fitting process itself. You will hit several different clubs, and choose which one works best for you. Then if any of them need adjustment (lie angle, etc) they will do that for you there too.

Titleist 910H 21&24
Cleveland CG16 52

Miura Black Wedge 56, 60
Newport 2 Teryllium Ten

Titleist ProV1x

PJ, I was shooting low 90's too. I was using old irons that were inconsistent. I finally had enough money to purchase a new set of irons. I had hit several demo irons at the range from titleist to cleveland to mizuno to ping, etc. If it was a game improvement iron I tried it. Stuart is right, definetly get fitted, it'll help your game doesn't matter what brand you buy and probably will be free include in with your purchase. The brand you select is totally up to you. Hit ever iron you can. Don't be rushed into your decision. I not being bias but I recently purchased X-20 irons with uniflex shafts. They are awesome. In the last month I posted scores of 81, 82, 83 with 7-8 GIR's to go with those scores. Again, I'm not trying to persuade you into buying Callaway I'm just telling you my experience with them. The other irons you have posted are great irons as well. Good luck in your search.

The only other thing I would keep in mind is what do you want from your set of irons. I had orginally bought the Ping Raptures but after 9 months of playing, I found that they were too much Game Improvement and didn't give enough feedback when I hit a less than perfect shot. I switched to Titleist 755's and I really like them a whole lot more. With the 755's I know if I hit a bad shot, because the result shows it. Because I want to improve my game I prefer these irons. If you want something that's super forgiving to give you the best scores while you hack around, then go for game improvement or super game improvement, like the Raptures. If you want something that highlights your swing flaws, without being ridiculously unforgiving, then something like the 755's or Callaway X-20 Tours would be great. After you figure out what you want to get out of them, then hit several different types.

Titleist 910H 21&24
Cleveland CG16 52

Miura Black Wedge 56, 60
Newport 2 Teryllium Ten

Titleist ProV1x

I reccommend getting fitted as well, but are you sure you want the r7 CGB Max as opposed to just the r7 irons? The CGB Max are super game improvement, which the other irons you listed aren't...
What's in my Mizuno Aerolite Stand bag:

r7 460 10.5*, stock Stiff Flex Shaft
CLK Fli-Hi 17* hybrid, Prolaunch Blue Stiff shaft
Slingshot Tour 21*, DGS300 shaft Baffler DWS Hybrid 26*, Aldila NVS-HL shaft MP-60 5-PW DG S300 shafts Tour Action 900 54*/12* WedgeVokey Spin Milled 58*/08* Wedge...

+1 for getting fitted, but get fitted either at a range or launch monitor where you can see the ball flight. The process involves hitting a couple of different irons with different shaft flex's, pick a couple that you like. What they initially look for is trajectory etc.. if the shots are going too high then maybe the shaft is too flexible for you swing tempo. The shots may also balloon 'cos the clubs have a COG (center of gravity) that's too low, ie. they are too much of a game improvement for you.

Then narrow it down to one or two irons that you like the best. Then hopefully they have a fitting bay for those irons? The fitting bay will have the same head in different lengths and lie angles. They put impact tape on the front and under the clubhead. What they look for is hitting the sweetspot, but also where on the flange you hit the ground with, centered, more towards the toe or heal etc. that's where lie angle comes into play, you may or may not need more or less lie to make sure you are hitting the middle of the flange.

Note than even if they don't have a fitting bay for the iron set you like, then buy that set and any good shop should be able to take lets say take the 7 iron and put different length shafts and change the lie on that club to find what's right for you. Once they find what's right for you they can adjust the rest of the set.

As for the clubs you are looking at, they are all good clubs. I've played a round with the X-20's, pretty nice but to be honest I'm not a big Callaway iron fan (just find them too big and they hit a bit high for me), having said that I loved the X-Tours

Love Mizuno's in general, have a set of MP-32's which I absolutely love. Tried the MX-19's and 25's. The 19's are nice but again hit too high for me (also they are cast and not forged, so they don't really have the super nice Mizuno feel, but pretty darn good for a cast cavity back). The 25's are well nice, I'd certainly recommend them.

Didn't try the r7 CGB's but did try the r7 TP's which were well nice, again a little high and maybe a little big looking for me??

Tried the Titleist 775 CB's, liked them but wasn't sold. For some reason I don't get along with Titleist irons???? no idea why but I've never had much luck with them, maybe it's mental 'cos they sure look like the kind of club I love. Funny as well 'cos I love Titleist woods. Their 585.H's hybrids are awesome IMHO.

Anyway, good luck, take your time (over a few weekends) and get fitted take notes as well, also don't necessarily go for the clubs that hit the longest (pay attention to the fact that loft and club length may vary across manufacturers, Callaway are always up to this, dropping a degree and giving 1/4" more, so you pick up there 6 irons and low and behold you are hitting it 10 yards longer than your old 6 iron , go for the clubs that hit roughly the same trajectory and same distance each time.

Mizuno F-50 3W DS S300
Titleist 906F2 5W UST V2
Titleist 585.H 21 DG S300
Mizuno MP-FLIHI 4 DG S300
Mizuno MP-32 5-PW DG S300Mizuno MP-R 52.07 DG Wedge FlexMizuno MP-R 56.13 DG Wedge FlexTitleist Vokey Spin Milled 60.04 DG Wedge FlexScotty Cameron Studio Newport 2

i was fitted for my cleveland CG4 Tour and it was by far the best thing i ever did, i never would have thought that different shafts could make that big of a difference. i dont really recommend the taylor mades.. but thats just my preference, i've never hit any of the other clubs

The only other thing I would keep in mind is what do you want from your set of irons. I had orginally bought the Ping Raptures but after 9 months of playing, I found that they were too much Game Improvement and didn't give enough feedback when I hit a less than perfect shot. I switched to Titleist 755's and I really like them a whole lot more. With the 755's I know if I hit a bad shot, because the result shows it. Because I want to improve my game I prefer these irons. If you want something that's super forgiving to give you the best scores while you hack around, then go for game improvement or super game improvement, like the Raptures. If you want something that highlights your swing flaws, without being ridiculously unforgiving, then something like the 755's or Callaway X-20 Tours would be great. After you figure out what you want to get out of them, then hit several different types.

this makes no sense?? you had raptures that you said you hit well, even your mishits went well. so you bought a less forgiving set of irons? where do your mishits go now? way off line i bet. so when i go out and shoot an 80 or something i'm just hacking arround because i have "super game improvement irons"? golf is hard enough as it i dont need to make it any harder because my ego says i have to use a certain type of iron because i'm just that good. if i use my irons to shoot an 80 and you use your irons to shoot an 82 then who's the better golfer? you because you have harder to hit irons or me because i shot the lower number? all i'm saying is if the technology is availible then why not use it. just make sure you get something you like and get fitted. -matt

Driver: 09 Burner 10.5 Aldila NV 65 X Stiff
3wd: G10 14* Aldila NV 85 X Stiff
Hybrid: G10 18* Aldila NV 105 X Stiff
3-PW: I10 X100
Wedge: Tour 52* & 58* S400Putter: Circa 62 No.2 35" Ball: Tour IXLowest 9 (-E) 36Lowest 18 (+2) 73

Awesome feedback guys... I'll definitely go and try out several different irons. I guess I'm just a little nervous about swing the club in a simulation room :) Sounds silly I know but I'll start looking this week and start trying out different sets.

I'm also going to look at some drivers... Thinking of trying the R7 460 Draw and the Titleist 907D1.

I'm happy I found this forum... a lot of knowledgeable people on here and again, I appreciate everyone's feedback.

PJStyles

I help you by recommending the irons I have used in the past. You don't have to buy the latest equipment. There are a lot of good equipment in 2005.

TaylorMade RAC OS 2005.... SWEET!!! The best irons for anybody.
Nike NDS Irons.... Very light weight and easy to use.
Whats in my Golf Bag:
Driver: Nike Sumo 5000
5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001
Iron: Mizuno MX-950 5-PW
Wedge: Cobra FP 60 degrePutter: Odyssey 2-BallBall: Yellow balls

Just a quick comment on the TaylorMade Draw Driver, I don't have the driver but I do have the 3 wood and 3 Hybred and when I can afford to I will replace both of them. The seemed nice in the store on the moniter but I can't hit them to save my life on the course.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10degree
3 Wood: TaylorMade R7 Draw
5 Wood: Callaway BB
Hybrid: TaylorMade R7 Draw 19D
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 4- AWWedge Cleveland CG10Putter: Oddessy 2 BallBall: Bridgestone E5/E6

I just did this, ended up with Ping G5,so far I love them, being fitted give me more confidence, even though the fitter said I was very average in all areas. I would do the fitting for sure. The price on G5 just dropped because of G10 coming out. I think alot of it is how the club looks to you when you're standing over it..

Note: This thread is 6123 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!