IGNORED

What equipment does a beginner need?

Guest ShadowXOR
Note: This thread is 5963 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

hey shadow i live around seattle area too have you checked out the craigslist listings? i check them out daily and there always seems to be some nice used clubs on there full sets that aren't to badly priced
In My Blue & Silver Sasquatch Tour Bag:
Driver: 10.5° Tour Burner TP
3 Wood: Tour Burner Tour
5 Wood Burner TP
Hybrid: Rescue TP 17°5-PW: R7 TP Flighted Rifle 5.5Wedges: 52°&60° cg12 Black Pearl 56° 588 Classic GunmetalPutter: Circa '62 No. 1 Oil CanBall: e6+

I agree with joey, I would also go with costco nicklaus set between those two options.

In my Bag: (Sun Mountain C-130 '07)

Driver: X460 11°
5W: Big Bertha Ti '05
4h: Fusion FT 23°5i-GW: Big Bertha '04SW: CG11 56° Putter: G5i Anser

Guest ShadowXOR
Is there a complete set or brand you recommend from any place that you think is better than both of those? I do want to get a set but I want to get the best one I can around that price range with no defects / flying heads. Why is the Nicklaus better than the other out of curiosity? It appears that he also makes the "Golden Bear" line but there are not quite as nice as the Nicklaus line, any thoughts?

if you dont mind spending alittle more - the admas idea a2 set is going for like 300-400 bucks right now... comes with the idea hybrids which are awesome.... they are like 100 a piece.... get that and a descent putter you shouldny need much more... I had the idea 3 iron hybrid and could kill 220 yards on good clean hit - som epeople cant even drive that far... even if you wanted to get a driver to the adams insight driver is going for 100 bucks.... maybe more than you want to spend but you wont have to worry about quality...

Guest ShadowXOR
$250 is my maximum for clubs.

However, today I picked up some basics (not clubs since I haven't decided yet). I got shoes (they were on sale), tees (with ball marker and repair tool), socks, and a glove. All I really plan on getting now are clubs, balls, and lessons. Then if I get way into it I'll buy nicer/more stuff. I'm still trying to decide on a pre-packaged "set" under $250. I saw a nice Nicklaus set at Costco, but it wasn't the ones I linked to earlier, let me see if I can find them.

I believe it was these:

http://www.nicklaus-golf.com/jacknicklaus/mv18.php

Are those nice, and is $250 a good price? I hope I'm right because I'm researching them.

EDIT 1: Yes, I was right. They are available exclusively through Costco. Most of the people in this thread appear to be pretty pleased with them (besides one of the last guys):

http://thesandtrap.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4847

Anyone have more info on them? It looks like a great beginners set for me at a reasonable price. I could drive down to Costco tomorrow and pick them up (I have a membership already).

EDIT 2: I went with the $250 Nicklaus set that I linked to above. It looks very nice but I haven't been able to try them yet!

I'll tell you what I did.

After laying off of golf for 15 years (and selling my clubs) I got back into it about two years ago. I shopped around pawn shops looking for a cheap set of clubs and couldn't find anything I thought was worth the money. I then went to a golf shop and bought a $120 starter set on sale (Tour Eagles, I think). I played with those until this summer when I bought a better set of clubs.

My suggestion is to get a adequate set of cavity-back, perimeter-weighted clubs. You want something that's pretty forgiving. Don't use somebody's dad's old forged irons. You shouldn't have to spend a lot of money. $75-$150 ought to do it. If you buy used, you may be able to get most or all of your money back if you decide to resell them and buy a better set.

Personally, I kept my other clubs as a loaner set or for the few times I can talk my kid into playing with me.

I bought shoes. I find they help on uneven lies. But mainly, I wanted to have a pair to just leave in the car with the clubs so I would have something to wear if I manage to get away from work. Don't spend a lot of money on expensive balls. Buy used balls for now (Walmart has them for $7 a dozen).

A cheap set of cavity back clubs, a dozen used balls, a putter, a bag of tees, some sunscreen and maybe a glove and you're set.

I've had one professional golf lesson. Mostly, I've learned from friends. I was fortunate that when I first started playing about 18 years ago, I had a friend who was a pretty good golf coach. Since I've started playing again I try to play with people who are better than me -- but no so much better that the game won't be fun for them.

Picking playing partners is REALLY important. A good companion on the golf course makes the game much more enjoyable. Playing with a butthead is a sure way to ruin a round.

Get a little instruction. Go to the driving range and hit balls -- At first you should go with a friend who knows how to play. Then find someone who is willing to take you under their wing and get out there and play.

Good choice on the Jack Nicklaus set you ended up getting. The first one you linked to from Costco (the black & gray version) I’ve seen a lot in the golf class I take and they seem pretty decent for the price. I guess a lot of beginner students at my school are Costco shoppers too. The Nicklaus & Golden Bear brand has decent reviews, has to be good if Jack’s going to have his name on them. Does anyone know if he plays his own branded clubs?

Let us know after you’ve hit them how the set is, I’ve only seen the Nicklaus and Golden Bear brand at Sports Authority and Sports Chalet and haven’t been able to demo them. The Q4 drivers with the interchangeable weights look slick as well as the wedges sold separately.
In my Viper by Hippo Golf stand bag:
Driver: Cleveland HiBore 10.5° Fujikara reg. flex
Woods: 3- MacGregor NVG2 Fujikara reg. flex
Hybrids: 3 & 4-Taylor Made Rescue Mid
Irons: Titleist 775.cb w/Graphite Shafts (5-GW)Wedges: Cleveland 588 Tour Action SW & 60° lob Putter: Taylor Made Monza...

Guest ShadowXOR
Well I used almost every club in the bag when I went driving, chipping, and putting at our local practice range. They seemed like good clubs to me but I have zero training and was just doing what I thought I should be doing. They are at least good enough for me, not sure how good they would be for a relatively experienced player. They look really nice though and seem high quality. I had fun with them and I can't wait until I can afford lessons. My fiance had fun as well and she's thinking of picking up a set of clubs.

Regarding lessons... up until last summer, I had never swung a club before, so I wanted to learn how to swing properly. I've now been taking lessons pretty consistently for about a year, and it's amazing how much I've learned about the golf swing, chipping, course management, etc. Maybe a year is too long for lessons, but I would suggest getting at least more than one or two because you can pick up some bad habits practicing that are a lot harder to correct as time goes on... especially if you really wanna learn the game the correct way. Some of my friends' swings are horrible, and I'm really glad I took the time to learn from a pro instead of teaching myself.

just my 2 cents...

My Bag

Hybrids: nike.gif VR_S 17º, CPR3 18º, 22º, 26º, 30º R Graphite

Irons: nike.gif Slingshot 6I-PW R Steel

Wedges: nike.gif SV 52º/10, 56º/14

Putter: taylormade.gif Rossa Monza Corsa 34"

Ball: nike.gif One RZN-X

Guest ShadowXOR
Regarding lessons... up until last summer, I had never swung a club before, so I wanted to learn how to swing properly. I've now been taking lessons pretty consistently for about a year, and it's amazing how much I've learned about the golf swing, chipping, course management, etc. Maybe a year is too long for lessons, but I would suggest getting at least more than one or two because you can pick up some bad habits practicing that are a lot harder to correct as time goes on... especially if you really wanna learn the game the correct way. Some of my friends' swings are horrible, and I'm really glad I took the time to learn from a pro instead of teaching myself.

I was going to go with one, one hour lesson, maybe I'll get the five pack of lessons instead...

One one-hour lesson will surely be lacking. I've done a semester of golf lessons at the local college and taking the next level later this month for a second semester. The more lessons the better, just depends on what you can afford and time you can put in. I do group classes and will probably take a private lesson once I decide to improve my game to the next level and have some cash to spend.
In my Viper by Hippo Golf stand bag:
Driver: Cleveland HiBore 10.5° Fujikara reg. flex
Woods: 3- MacGregor NVG2 Fujikara reg. flex
Hybrids: 3 & 4-Taylor Made Rescue Mid
Irons: Titleist 775.cb w/Graphite Shafts (5-GW)Wedges: Cleveland 588 Tour Action SW & 60° lob Putter: Taylor Made Monza...

Guest ShadowXOR
I was thinking of doing group lessons for now. If I go to college soon I was going to take a class there, and if I heavily get into it, private lessons.

Guest ShadowXOR
You don't need lessons, all you need is "The Hammer" & POW your score will drop like magic.

What do you mean?

Note: This thread is 5963 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!