Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HighlandLaird

Fat long irons with regular shafts

4 posts in this topic

I prefer regular steel shafts in my irons nowadays, (having previously used stiff for many years, but I'm now 72 !) but whilst I hit them all straight, I have a tendency to hit the long irons "fat" rather too often.  Is the cure simply to put stiff shafts in my longer irons, or has anyone a swing-related answer, please?

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

I prefer regular steel shafts in my irons nowadays, (having previously used stiff for many years, but I'm now 72 !) but whilst I hit them all straight, I have a tendency to hit the long irons "fat" rather too often.  Is the cure simply to put stiff shafts in my longer irons, or has anyone a swing-related answer, please?

Good chance it's a swing related issue, could be a weight forward issue.  Check out this drill http://thesandtrap.com/t/61376/5sk-video-thread#post_791160

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thank you very much, mvmac----I watched the video and will try this on the practice ground today.

For some reason, long irons are difficult, along with woods, and lower lofted hybrids. They are less forgiving of our faults.

Like Mike said, likely a couple of swing-related issues - a weight issue and/or you could be letting go of our wrist angle so your left wrist is not flat towards impact - in effect, you've lengthened the shaft and hit fat.

On a lighter note, at 72, or even 42, most people are hitting hybrids or fairways instead of long irons. Good luck.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades