IGNORED

I need some advice!

Note: This thread is 3815 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi guys I'm new to sand trap and looking for some advice :) I'm currently playing nike vr pro combo irons and hit my shorter irons well and love the feel of blades but I'm looking for more forgiveness in the longer irons. I'm a decent ball striker but feel I need abit more help. Any ideas what irons I should be looking at to get this ? Iv looked at the ap2 714 as they are due out soon here in the uk but are they going to be any more forgiving in the longer irons than what I already have? Thanks in advance ⛳

Hi guys I'm new to sand trap and looking for some advice :)

I'm currently playing nike vr pro combo irons and hit my shorter irons well and love the feel of blades but I'm looking for more forgiveness in the longer irons. ...I

For starters, you might read Jamo 's thorough review on these irons from 2011. He covers all the tech ins and outs.

http://thesandtrap.com/b/clubs/nike_victory_red_vr_pro_combo_irons_review

I just looked at the review myself, and Jamo noted that the VRPC long irons have a pocket cavity head. This uses two pieces of metal which - when welded together - allow for a deeper slot than a carve-out head. So, the pocket cavity is designed with a really good amount of forgiveness.

I have hit the Bridgestone J40 pocket cavity irons, and could get the 3i up fairly well - even though I'm not the best ballstriker.

So, before you spend a lot of money on new irons, you might look at:

• Your swing: Do you have a set-up problem which hurts you in long irons? Or do you try to hit the long irons too hard? Everything below 5i is a tempo club, and good form tends to deliver better than pressing for power.
  • Your shafts: You don't say what shafts you have, or what your swingspeed is. Good long iron play requires that you get enough clubhead speed to launch the ball properly. Shorter clubs are easier to handle in stiffer shafts, but it can catch up with you in the longer clubs.

If it's a shaft problem, you might be able to pick up a little clubhead speed and improve your launch angle by softstepping the long irons.

Anyway, if you know a good pro who's also a clubfitter, talk to him or her and get your swing and shafts checked out.  Let us know what happens.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks for your input WUtiger after looking at what you have said its more than likely my set up I never fully feel confident and comfy with a 4i or 5i in my hand. The course I play in winter or windy conditions requires a 4i 2nd shot into 2 par 4s which I never score on so before I start on the first in my head ino iv lost shots on those two holes. My swing speed is around 84mph and I use a regular shaft! Iv just booked in for a few lessons to try and sort it. Thanks again for your advice!! :)

I'm always happy to give out advice, and it's guaranteed to be worth at least the price. ;-) With that in mind, here's a couple of thoughts:

First, if you are happy with the 6i on down, you might just consider getting 4 and 5 hybrids.  This certainly might be the cheapest way out.

Second, I have really fallen in love with the new 714 line and am thinking hard about getting myself some.  However, I am seriously questioning if I am up for a full set of AP2s, and although the AP2s are really pretty I'm thinking more along the lines of AP1, or maybe a mix with a few AP2s in the short end of the set, maybe 8 on down and AP1s for the longer irons for the extra forgiveness, but I'll likely end up with a straight set of AP1.  At a 17.1 handicap, you might be better served with AP1s, Ping 25s, or similar game improvement clubs.  Golf is hard enough, even with clubs that make it a bit easier.

I'm fortunate to have a Titleist Advanced Fitting Center pro nearby.  When I have saved up my nickels and dimes, I will go to him and tell him I want a new set of 714s without specifying the model, and I'll let him tell me what I need.  I'd rather hear people in my group say "Wow, nice shot!" than "Wow, nice clubs!"

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

.. The course I play in winter or windy conditions requires a 4i 2nd shot into 2 par 4s which I never score on so before I start on the first in my head ino iv lost shots on those two holes. ...

There's a short-term workaround you might try on these two holes: If you hit your fairway woods OK, hit a 3W off the tee, and follow up with a 3W or hybrid approach. A slightly longer approach with a club you like.

(If  you have trouble with FWs off the deck, you're on your own... ;-) )

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

The lessons will probably go a long way to solving your issues. As others have said, try a couple of hybrids. I find I hit my 3 and 4 hybrids a good bit longer than the corresponding irons.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Thanks for all your help guys!! its a part of my game that lets me down the most I will definitely try two 3w or a 3w 3h. Hopefully the lessons will help which I'm sure they will because I have a feeling it's my set up because my connection is never to bad. I don't really want to change my irons but its crossed my mind as a solution as soon as the weather is better here in Wales :( il have a couple of practice rounds working on the advice you have all given me. Thanks again!!

Hybrids are much easier to hit than long irons and almost always produce much longer shots than your corresponding iron. this might be good, but at the same time bad because can leave you with a "gap" for certain specific distances.

I know you can adjust it by gripping down and not taking full swings, but with that comes a lot of practice of those particular shots (it's easy to block or get stuck on intermediate shots...)

Francesco Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 8.5* PX Tour 7C3 6.0 - Wood: :titleist: 910 F.d 15* PX Tour 8C4 6.0 - Hybrid: :titleist: 910H 19* PX Tour HD2 6.0 - Irons: :titleist: ZB Forged 4-PW S300 - Wedges: :vokey: 52*.08, 56*.11, 60*.04 - Putter: :titleist: Studio Select Newport 2 35" - Ball: :titleist: ProV1x - Bag: :titleist: Midsize Staff - :bushnell: Tour V2

Hybrids are much easier to hit than long irons and almost always produce much longer shots than your corresponding iron. this might be good, but at the same time bad because can leave you with a "gap" for certain specific distances.

If you find your crossover point for irons --> hybrids, you likely will have one place in your bag where you have that gap. If you choke down a half to one inch, you can take some yards off the shot. You just have to practice it.

Overall, being a little long at 200 yards does less damage than missed shots with irons you can't hit.

Note: This thread is 3815 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!