IGNORED

Something has happened

CG031
Note: This thread is 6123 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Maybe I'm overreacting, but I have been playing for just over a year (well, serious golf for that long. I mean, I went to the range like 1-2 times a year before last year, when I really started to try and become a golfer, not just a person who plays.) But anyway, I'm hitting everything fat. I guess I'm just dropping my shoulder, and just not hitting it well at all. The past 36 holes have all been horrible with my irons. Fat, lazy hooks are generally what happens. The pro I work with (sister's boyfriend) told me that when I get lazy with my swing, I don't finish it and simply roll my wrists over in an attempt to try and get the club square at impact...well, I must be rolling them over too much, and not finishing my swing at all because it has just been unbelievable. Even with my PW I'll hit fairly crisp, but it will be 20 yards left of my target with just a HUGE "Driver-Like" hook. Today I went to the range, and after about 20 balls with a 7-iron, my dad and I were trying to figure it out. I was trying everything - just trying to focus on completing my turn and keeping my eye on the ball, and most importantly finishing my swing, but nothing seemed to help. All my timing just seems sooo off right now...I have zero confidence over the ball. I shot 86 the other day because I got up and down everytime. GW-LW I have no problem hitting it straight and I don't hit it fat at all...so My dad and I figured we'd just try 8 iron punch shots to try and get my tempo and ball striking confidence back, but even that I couldn't do all that well.
/rant
I guess why I am posting this is just to vent, but I guess any ideas would be pretty cool.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

go to the range and hit nothing but punch shots. this short swing with strong late release with reinforce solid contact with the ball.

Actually, I start all of my range sessions hitting punch shots.

What's in the bag:

Driver: Adams 9064LS (project RIP Shaft) 9.5 degree
3 Wood: Titleist 909R 14.5 degree
Hybrid 3-iron: 19 degree Tour Professional (bent to 18 degrees)Hybrid 4-iron: 21 degree Tour ProfessionalIrons: Tour X-20 5-PW Project X 6.0 shaftsGap Wedge: Mizuno MP10 52.08 Sand Wedge: Mizuno MP10 58.10 Lob Wedge: Nike 62.06

go to the range and hit nothing but punch shots. this short swing with strong late release with reinforce solid contact with the ball.

Agreed.

I am very streaky with my irons and sometimes I just can't figure it out but usually a nice range session of hitting all punch shots and a couple of rounds of taking 1 more club and swinging it in a similar fashion straightens me back out again.
"The general knowledge in the United States about Australia is low. Everybody thinks we ride kangaroos to school. You don't ever take a kangaroo to school. You take them to the supermarket because you can put groceries in the pouch. "

- Stuart Appleby

In The Bag:Driver - 9.5° XTD Pro Graphite...

Agreed.

That's a great idea. I think I'm overswinging. Maybe instead of hitting a 7 iron 150 normally, I should choke up a little on a 6, and just swing easy? I'll try this tomorrow. Thanks for the help so far guys.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW

That's a great idea. I think I'm overswinging. Maybe instead of hitting a 7 iron 150 normally, I should choke up a little on a 6, and just swing easy? I'll try this tomorrow. Thanks for the help so far guys.

Try it out on the range a little bit and especially at first just hit some punches to get comfortable, then try swinging a little easier with one more club.

Works wonders for me every single time.
"The general knowledge in the United States about Australia is low. Everybody thinks we ride kangaroos to school. You don't ever take a kangaroo to school. You take them to the supermarket because you can put groceries in the pouch. "

- Stuart Appleby

In The Bag:Driver - 9.5° XTD Pro Graphite...

Here is my list of general reasons someone hooks the ball:

Too strong of grip
Forced release
Swinging too far right
Hanging back on right
Poor ball position – too far back
Poor alignment – to the right
Right arm tension

You could be doing any one, or several of those things. It's just too hard to tell by your description alone.

Equipment, Setup, Finish, Balance, and Relax. All equal in importance and all dependent on each other. They are the cornerstones of a good golf swing.

I think I have too much right hand because I am falling away. I played 18 holes today and shot 87 at a pretty tough course(72.5 rating), not really bad at all. I think I've figured most of it out...so, thanks for the help all.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-...ect-golf-swing
this video is one of the best instructionals i've seen. just keep practicing.
another tip
when your doing your backswing make sure your chin is clearing your lead shoulder when winding back. if you keep rubbing chin to shoulder, try less tilt on your head down and remember get that shoulder under the chin..
good luck.

In my bag:
Driver: R9 TP Rombax Stiff
3 Wood: R9 TP 85g Stiff
3 hybrid: X
4-SW: X-20 Uniflex

SteelLW: Forged Chrome

Putter: White Hot XG #1

Note: This thread is 6123 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!