IGNORED

Craziest three days of golf

Note: This thread is 3771 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Friday I play 9 holes and can do NOTHING right.  Admittedly I was pretty hung over from the office holiday party but it was so bad I even had the dreaded shanks.  Shot 53 for 9 holes from my usual tees (the whites) which are 70.7/134.  Today I go out with my kid and play from the forward tees with her (67.6/124) and absolutely played out of my mind.  My goal for this year was to break 90.  Best round all year was 92 from the whites and I shot 82 today from the forward tees.  It was the mythical day when everything was cooking - hitting fairways, hitting greens and putting.  Admittedly I had no birdies, but had about 5 legit opportunities and was getting a bunch of 2 footers and tap-ins for par.

Is this what you guys single digit guys feel like every time you play?

I can't believe I went from wanting to sell my membership and snap my clubs in two to the best round of my life in 36 hours.

I hate this f$#2ing game.  I can't wait to play tomorrow.

Don't mean to put a downer on it but you was playing off the ladies tees!

Better to hit off the short tees and gain some confidence than to stay in a funk and possibly give up the game, don't you think..?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Nice playing!  Work on your long game so you can keep hitting more greens and keep shooting in the 80's.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Better to hit off the short tees and gain some confidence than to stay in a funk and possibly give up the game, don't you think..?

This!

Do you think playing it forward gave you more confidence?  Or were you clubbing down and hitting say a 5 or 3 wood from a tee box you would normaly hit driver?  I'm sure it helps on the par 3's, the course I play I've noticed the forward tees are probably 3 clubs down on some of the par 3's.  The 205 yard par three is't probably four clubs down.

Maybe play from there more often and as you move your handicap down move back?  Rounds like you described are fun!  When you're having fun and enjoying yourself it seems like you always get a bounce that goes your way!  There is a lot of mental stuff in golf, I always though it was BS.  As I progress and learn more about golf, being positive and thinking good thoughts produce positive results!

We need to make a push and ban the term ladies tees!  They should be called forward tees!  If it caught on and more people play from them, I imagine the pace of play would also improve!

Driver:        :tmade:- R11s                             GPS:        :skycaddie:- SGXW

3W:            :titleist:-910F 15*                             BAG:        :titleist:- 14 Way carry bag

Hybrid:       :titleist:910H 19*                                           :titleist:- 14 Way Cart bag

Irons 4-PW::titleist:- AP2 712

Wedges:    :vokey:- 52, 56, 60

Putter:       :cameron:- Studio Select 1.5

Ball:          :titleist:- Pro V1x

Most definitely! I play off yellows but was thinking of playing whites for a month or 2 to make the yellows seem shorter!

Gaz Lee

Most definitely! I play off yellows but was thinking of playing whites for a month or 2 to make the yellows seem shorter!

Then why did you have to snipe at the guy and pee in his Cheerios?  It is your kind of ridiculousness that makes people reluctant to play from forward tees. (note FORWARD tees, not women's tees).  And YES, you absolutely meant to put a downer on it.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Good job. I played from the forward tees quite a bit last year while I was getting back into golf. It was really helpful to gain some confidence. When I started moving back the previous mental blocks I had were gone and my scores didn't change much.

Dave :-)

Then why did you have to snipe at the guy and pee in his Cheerios?  It is your kind of ridiculousness that makes people reluctant to play from forward tees. (note FORWARD tees, not women's tees).  And YES, you absolutely meant to put a downer on it.

Sorry to offend you your highness! I doubt the op was offended, My posts usually consist of 50% input and 50% banter, so lighten up sir, I really need to find the emoticons on this forum to show when I'm teasing! Some people are so darn sensitive!

Gaz Lee

Don't mean to put a downer on it but you was playing off the ladies tees!

Sorry to offend you your highness! I doubt the op was offended, My posts usually consist of 50% input and 50% banter, so lighten up sir, I really need to find the emoticons on this forum to show when I'm teasing! Some people are so darn sensitive!

Perception is in the mind of the reader, not the writer.   Exactly how did you mean for that "downer" (YOUR word) to be teasing?   I won't presume to speak for the OP but I sure didn't take it as teasing.    I took it as a slam on the score because of the fact you choose to make an issue of the tees it was played from.  It sounded exactly like you were trying to belittle the score.  BTW, the emoticons are right above the post as you type it.   They're pretty easy to find. ;-)

To the OP, congrats on the score!!    I hope it is only the beginning of many more great scores for you!

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

Found em! Of course I was teasing! He was playing with his kid off the "forward" tees! There's no shame in that! I was teasing by calling them ladies tees! Have you read the thread about funny lines to say on bad shots, many of them referred to hitting like a girl using the words skirt, purse etc. I guess I don't take the game as seriously as yourself and the previous poster, I just play for fun and enjoy the gentle teasing! Sorry about that!

Gaz Lee

No worries guys, I was not offended.  I normally play from the white tees because they are the right fit for my game at this point.  I play from the kids/ladies/forward/old guys tees when I'm with my kids just because it doesn't feel worth the hassle of using two tee boxes when I'm already sensitive to pace of play when I'm with my kids. Having said that, I think one of the reasons I've been able to fall in love with golf after starting late (40) is that I don't have much ego invested.  My first year I was always the worst guy in the foursome and at 18.9 I'm still mostly the worst guy in the foursome.  I've never cared much about pulling a 7 when the other guy is pulling a 9.

For what it's worth, the teaching pros at our club recommend occasionally playing from the forward tees just to get a different look at the course, practice different clubs, etc.

In any case, for me an 82 was an amazing day from ANY tee.  And, to hardballs point, I won't really feel that I met my goal of "breaking 90" until I do it from the whites at my home course, but I'm still going to savor this round.  I am a little bummed though because as well as I was playing I think if we'd played the whites I would have had a damn good shot at being in the 80's even if it was 89!

To D-Man's point, I do think clubbing down helped a lot on the par 3's. Normally those are 4 iron, 9 iron, 7 iron and 8 iron on my home course and from the forward tees it was 6 iron, 52 Wedge and "G" Wedge.  On the par 4's and 5's I hit driver every time and did not club down.  I think the difference was largely in the second shots.  I had mostly 8 iron or less for my second shot on the par 4's and I'm generally much more confident with those clubs.  Playing the same course from the whites there are at least 6 holes where the second shot is either 3W or 4 iron and those are still largely feast or famine clubs for me.  I think the longest club I used in the 82 round was a 6-iron.

I'll be taking my boy out next summer, he'll have just turned 10, I think that's a good age to begin, and 9 holes off the reds seem a good way to start! I take him to the range and he enjoys it, so I let him caddy for me this year, (drive the buggy) he loved it! He's not really a team sport kinda kid, so I think golf could be a sport he'll really enjoy!

Gaz Lee

Best round all year was 92 from the whites and I shot 82 today from the forward tees.  It was the mythical day when everything was cooking - hitting fairways, hitting greens and putting.  Admittedly I had no birdies, but had about 5 legit opportunities and was getting a bunch of 2 footers and tap-ins for par.

Is this what you guys single digit guys feel like every time you play?

Congrats!

Nope.....80% of my rounds feel like a total grind no matter what I am scoring.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Note: This thread is 3771 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!