IGNORED

Shaft for my new driver...

RyanR
Note: This thread is 6117 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm buying a Nike SQ Sumo and I'm not sure what shaft to get put in it. I know what I should really do is to try a bunch of them out, but I don't have time to do that or any local facilities. I've only hit it in the stock stiff Diamana Sasquatch and it was fine, but I always hear good things about the UST Proforce V2 and the Aldila NV 65 and some others. I know I need a stiff, but what shaft do you recommend as being a quality shaft I should look into?

Thanks a lot!
Ryan
ogio.gif Vision SS Bag:
cleveland.gif Launcher DST 10.5*  taylormade.gif R9 16.5* 4W
taylormade.gif Rescue Dual 19*  taylormade.gif Burner 2.0 4-PW
vokey.gif 250.08, Spin Milled 54.10, and 58.08
yesgolf.gif Callie  bridgestone.gif B330

Everyones swing is different, Get on a launch monitor, figure out your speed and spin and go form there. As for the best shafts out there any diamana blue, red or white boards are good, and the graffaloy epic and Aldila Proto. I'm waiting for my epic to get in so I can through it in either an r5 or comp 460

R5 dual, Diamana blue board 63x
980f strong 3
Maltby Design 18 degree hybrid Project X 6.0
690mb 6.5 precision rifle
Spin milled 52 and 58 RAC 56 tp pro platinum 36" ZUR-C

not to hijack your thread.... but I'm also heavily considering reshafting my driver... I really want the aldila nv pink 65 one... any thoughts on that one?

XTD Pro - 9.5* - GD YSQ
GS Tour - 15* -GD Red Ice
Rescue TP - 17* - Fujikura TP
Idea Pro Gold - 20* - Mitsubishi JavlnFX
MP-30, 4-PW - Standard Lofts / 2* flat - TT DG RAC Z TP (54*/10*) X-Forged (60*/10*)Scotty Cameron TeI3 - 35"

Like Madoc said, get on a swing monitor and get your swing speed measured.
WITB

Driver - Taylormade r7 Quad 10.5˚ Fujijura E360 Stiff
Woods - Sonartec SS 2.5 13˚ HST Penley Tour Stiff
Hybrid - Sonartec HB-001 19˚ HST Penley Tour StiffIrons - Mizuno MP-67 Forged 4-PW, DGS300Wedges - Callaway Forged 50˚ and 54˚, Walter Hagen 60˚Putter - Nike T130 O/S Mallet Ctr Shaft 33"B...

agree with the launch moniter posts, everybody has different launch conditions (rpms of side and backspin, swing speed, torque, etc.) That being said the best shaft on the market imo is the diamana line form mistu. rayon. I have the blueboard in my driver, and its an absolute rocket. but really anything from accra, fuji, grafalloy, gd, mitsubishi, aldila, etc should be a high quality shaft, u just gotta find the one that fits u

Driver: r7 460 TP 10.5 w/Ozik Altus SX
3 Wood: Tour Proto 14.5 w/Ozik Xcon7 SX
Hybrid: Tour Proto. A2TS 19 w/ Matrix Ozik Altus HB SX
Irons: R7tp w/project x 6.0
Wedges: spin milled 56 w/ Proj. x 5.5 XTour60putter: Monza CorzaBall: Pro V1/ whatevers in my bag.

agree with the launch moniter posts, everybody has different launch conditions (rpms of side and backspin, swing speed, torque, etc.) That being said the best shaft on the market imo is the diamana line form mistu. rayon. I have the blueboard in my driver, and its an absolute rocket. but really anything from accra, fuji, grafalloy, gd, mitsubishi, aldila, etc should be a high quality shaft, u just gotta find the one that fits u

If you like the blue board you should try the epic, very close to the same characteristics, just the epic is supposed to be accurate. (less chance for shaft to flex at wrong place)

980f strong 3

If you like the blue board you should try the epic, very close to the same characteristics, just the epic is supposed to be accurate. (less chance for shaft to flex at wrong place)

Have you hit the epic???? I too play Blueboard, and when I hit the Epic it felt like a $3 shaft. I like Grafalloy, but I am not sold on the Epic at all.

In My Bag
Driver: R5 TP 9.5 Diamana
3 Wood: V-Steel 15* UST V2
5 Wood: R7 Steel
Hybrids: Heavenwood 20* UST V2 Rescue Mid 22* UST V2Irons: RAC LT2 5-9 Project X FlightedWedges: RAC Black TP 47* 51* 55* 60*Putter: White Hot 2 BallBalls: One Black

I hit it in a super quad but it was an S i'm waiting for mine which is a X, i'll have more feed back then.

980f strong 3

A local golf shop or a place like Dick's.
WITB

Hybrid - Sonartec HB-001 19˚ HST Penley Tour StiffIrons - Mizuno MP-67 Forged 4-PW, DGS300Wedges - Callaway Forged 50˚ and 54˚, Walter Hagen 60˚Putter - Nike T130 O/S Mallet Ctr Shaft 33"B...

Let's dispel some myths here......

1) No one can recommend what shaft would be good for another person without..
A- Having proper credentials/education.
B- Having actually SEEN and fit the person in questiion.
C- Knowing what club head the player is using.
D- Knowing where the person lives and course they usually play.

2) There is NO industry standard for shaft flex, torque etc...

3) When given a Raw shaft flex on CPMs, that only means what the butt flexes at that amount CPMS...it is not an indicator of how the shaft will perform....that can only be done by a complete shaft profile at specific beam lengths.

Bag #1
DRIVER: TourSwing TVC 10.5*w/VooDoo
FW: Geek 15* w/Graman Limey
FW: TourSwing Thunder 19* w/Graman Limey
HYBRIDS: #4 #5 Alpha RX Low w/Graman LimeyIRONS: Nakashima NP-2 w/Accra i SeriesWEDGES: Same as abovePUTTER: Slighter Olympia #1

A local golf shop or a place like Dick's.

Dicks is the worst....closely followed by many of the Hot Stixx locations...

Dicks does not require a PCS certification for their staff...which I doubt any one would do since their program is designed to only recommend the shafts THEY carry...it's a very biased program that is created for profit and not performance.

Bag #1
HYBRIDS: #4 #5 Alpha RX Low w/Graman LimeyIRONS: Nakashima NP-2 w/Accra i SeriesWEDGES: Same as abovePUTTER: Slighter Olympia #1

try golfsmith, they have a nice fitting area

What's In My Bag

Driver R9 Supertri 9.5
3 WoodR9
3 Hybrid: Baffler DWSIrons X-20 Tour 4-PWGap Wedge RAC TP SmokeSand Wedge Vokey 56.14Lob Wedge Vokey SM 60.7Putter:SeeMore FGP Black

I ended up ordering the Proforce V2. Thanks for the replies!

Ryan
ogio.gif Vision SS Bag:
cleveland.gif Launcher DST 10.5*  taylormade.gif R9 16.5* 4W
taylormade.gif Rescue Dual 19*  taylormade.gif Burner 2.0 4-PW
vokey.gif 250.08, Spin Milled 54.10, and 58.08
yesgolf.gif Callie  bridgestone.gif B330

Dicks is the worst....closely followed by many of the Hot Stixx locations...

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. When and where have you ever been to HotStix? They only have 4 locations, none of which are in the state you live in. HotStix is by far the best fitter out there. If they were bad at fitting, Tour Pros wouldnt get their clubs built there.

In My Bag
Driver: R5 TP 9.5 Diamana
3 Wood: V-Steel 15* UST V2
5 Wood: R7 Steel
Hybrids: Heavenwood 20* UST V2 Rescue Mid 22* UST V2Irons: RAC LT2 5-9 Project X FlightedWedges: RAC Black TP 47* 51* 55* 60*Putter: White Hot 2 BallBalls: One Black

I never said to go to Dicks, I said a place LIKE Dicks.
WITB

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. When and where have you ever been to HotStix? They only have 4 locations, none of which are in the state you live in. HotStix is by far the best fitter out there. If they were bad at fitting, Tour Pros wouldnt get their clubs built there.

Ah excuse me?

Sir, you have no idea what you're talking about... First off, we are a full source fitting, repair and sales center with two PCS Class "A" Certified clubfitters, one of which named clubfitter of the year in the north midwest. Directly across the street from us is a Hot Stix center in Cedar Rapids that you may call your self to confirm at 319-294-3304 (if you don't believe me)... This is a "Golf Headquarters" that did pony up the $26k Franchise fee and agreed to the per use charge for the Hot Stix analysis program. Further more theres MANY more than four Hot Stix centers..I have no idea where you got your information from but as of last count there was over twenty. Granted their website shows locations in (I believe) three states...but they are now all over the country. I implore you to please think twice before you make false accusations against another member in public...and if you DO feel compelled to correct a statement you feel was incorrect, you do it privately, or risk looking like an ass again. Incidentally, I STAND behind my assertation that many Hot Stix Facilities know nothing...There are exceptions...the facility in AZ is total top notch...but the others I've visited (when contemplating purchasing a franchise) left a lot to be desired...the one in Cedar Rapids is operated by kids who constantly mis-diagnose and mis fit customers... We had a customer who went in there who lived in Texas before moving here...All his shots are delofted punch shots...nothing over 30 yard off the ground...yet he's a 2 handicap. He's deadly accurate. He went to Hot Stix for Sh!t's n giggles and even though his driver speed was clocked at 112 and his 5-iron at 89mph....he was told to go to a senior or ladies flex because the trajectory was too low. When it was pointed out to the operator that the guy had the ball by his rear foot at address, and the punch shot was HIS swing, his response was : "I don't care...the machine says he has to raise his flight and go to a softer flex". Actually, once Golf Headquarters brought in the Hot Stix facility, our sales have gone up repairing their screw ups. :)

Bag #1

Note: This thread is 6117 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!