IGNORED

TST Call to Action - Create a Golfer in 2014!

iacas
Note: This thread is 3399 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I actually just started to do this last week.  So my pledge is to keep it up.  I took him to a golf simulator since we have snow banks about 4 feet high here still.  He shot like 90 something through 9 holes but he had fun.  He was just using the rental clubs which will make this even more expensive but I searched craigslist and picked up a few clubs here and there some free some cheap and built a whole set up for him to use going forward.  I hope to keep him into it.

This is a great thread

I have created/am creating a golfer already.  From dragging him down to the range and borrowing my clubs in early January to getting his own sticks by the end of January to becoming a 2-3 times a week range-rat, we have developed a serviceable swing and a solid core of fundamentals focusing on posture, hip rotation (not all arms and no swaying), consistent grip and address, and basic understanding of the swing plane.  He's already talking about being "able to shoot consistently in the low to mid 90s" as a realistic goal. ...and I'll be there every step of the way!

There's no better way to show a friend you care...and that you hate them...than introducing them to golf.   ;)

Iacas - where's the badge??? No, really just wanted to ask about "Level 1" - do you have different levels planned? If so what are they and how do we progress? Is it the more people you introduce, or certain things you get them to do (time of practice, number of outings, etc)?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Iacas - where's the badge??? No, really just wanted to ask about "Level 1" - do you have different levels planned? If so what are they and how do we progress? Is it the more people you introduce, or certain things you get them to do (time of practice, number of outings, etc)?

I added it.

Level 1 - Pledge

Level 2 - Identify target and begin working on creating a golfer

Level 3 - Success!

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I added it.

Level 1 - Pledge

Level 3 - Success!

Well, if that is the case, I've identified my target and already set up a range session with them for next week. Goal: To have him on a course <2 months.

"If you watch a game, it's fun. If you play it, it's recreation. If you work at it, it's golf."

• Administrator

Well, if that is the case, I've identified my target and already set up a range session with them for next week. Goal: To have him on a course <2 months.

So you're still at level 1. "Begin working" means put in some time with them. They may not be a "golfer" yet but they're leaning towards it. That's level 2.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I just switched offices.  There is a guy, who goes to the range every now and then.  Just found out he's never actually been on the golf course.  Said that he thought you needed to have control over the ball before you play.

I am from Chicago area, as soon as we get weather, I am taking him across the street to a golf course for a full 18.  Will try to get him hooked. :)

Bettinardi Golf Kuchar #2 Cobra Bio Cell+ Callaway Razr Hawk 3W TaylorMade SLDR 19H Mizuno JPX 825-Pro 4-AW Scor 55 & 60 (Wedges)

Quote:

Originally Posted by JKolya

I added it.

Level 1 - Pledge

Level 3 - Success!

What about level 4? Getting them to join a golf forum? and Level 5 joining TST? :-)

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I'm in.  Have a couple of 'targets' on the radar already.

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Ill have to read in to this :-D

In my :cobra: Bio Bag ~Tyler Westra~
:cobra: Bio Cell Driver 10.5 Draw/Stiff
:cobra: S3 E9 face technology Irons 5-GW/Regular
:cobra: Amp Cell 3-4 Hybrid/Stiff
:mizuno: MP-T4 Wedges 55, 62
:scotty_cameron: Del Mar (With two 20g weights) Cut about 34 in. (SuperStroke Grip 5.0)
:bushnell: Tournament series Pro 1600 Rangefinder
Puma Shoes (Red&Black) (Red&White) (Size 11)

Wow ... I think I found the right forum to join!

Here's what I've done in the last 2 weeks!!!

1). Bring friend to driving range / Explain to him basic concepts / technique / learned his swing / modified it a little bit

2). Gave same friend my spare clubs

3). Went to range with his "new" clubs & taught him the difference between irons

4). Gave friend a 6 pack of lessons at the local PGA store (I got them as a gift a year ago and never planned on using them) - He's on his 2nd lesson already and LOVING it ...

5). Booked golf trip for May - Asked friend to accompany me ... He said yes ...

6). Send friend daily links from golf periodicals/websites

Needless to say I may have went abit overboard ... But, I'm finding great satisfaction in his learning process. He's constantly asking question, progressing daily and I figure if I invest some time and a few dollars in his game, I'll have a new playing partner for life ...

Rob

I'm in now the fun begins!!! I got a few people already...

In my :cobra: Bio Bag ~Tyler Westra~
:cobra: Bio Cell Driver 10.5 Draw/Stiff
:cobra: S3 E9 face technology Irons 5-GW/Regular
:cobra: Amp Cell 3-4 Hybrid/Stiff
:mizuno: MP-T4 Wedges 55, 62
:scotty_cameron: Del Mar (With two 20g weights) Cut about 34 in. (SuperStroke Grip 5.0)
:bushnell: Tournament series Pro 1600 Rangefinder
Puma Shoes (Red&Black) (Red&White) (Size 11)

I pledge to create a golfer in 2014 - and am on my way with 6 golfers so far this year. As a teacher, I persuaded my school to pay for a course of 20 lessons for 6 pupils who expressed an interest. A local PGA pro is working his magic on them and so far they're loving it. Words getting round the school now, so the numbers involved will be going up fast!

ping.gif G30 Driver

ping.gif K15 3 Wood

ping.gif G25 Hybrid

ping.gif i20 Irons 4-S

ping.gifTour S Rustique 58 degree Wedge

ping.gif Anser 2 TR Putter

I don't know if it counts.. but I'm playing with friends on a simulator tonight (no other choice, snow is everywhere here) and we convinced one of them to join us (we are trying to get him into golf for a year now).

• Administrator

I don't know if it counts.. but I'm playing with friends on a simulator tonight (no other choice, snow is everywhere here) and we convinced one of them to join us (we are trying to get him into golf for a year now).

I'll give you the badge. Just pledge to create ONE new golfer this year, and then work to do it, and you can keep it (and trade it in for new and higher level ones).

I'll give you the badge. Just pledge to create ONE new golfer this year, and then work to do it, and you can keep it (and trade it in for new and higher level ones).

It's the first time he accepts anything golf related. I will try to find another one too :)

Note: This thread is 3399 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!