IGNORED

wrists uncock too early

gr8hntr
Note: This thread is 6104 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

the pro that i gettin lessons from said today in my full swing lesson
that im uncockin my wrist to early

so i have been searchin the net for some drills to help
and i came across this ...what do yall think

http://www.golf-forums.net/golf/You_...ll_646428.html

"As a golf instructor, there are no secrets. The closest you can get to the "secret" is understanding lag. The more lag you can produce, the better your chances in the long run of improving. Achieving lag is very elusive. I teach my students to try and hit the ball with the back of the hosel. First and foremost, a good turn is needed with back to the target. Then, I get them to try and hit the inside corner of the ball with the back of the hosel with the toe of the clubface facing 180 degrees away from the line of flight.

The ball will be hit square, much to the amazement of most of my students. Sometimes, it takes them about 25 balls, because they dont trust this motion due to years of trying to "hit" the ball with the "sweet spot" of the clubface. The "sweet spot" is not the axis of the swing. With my approach, the release becomes automatic, as does the squaring of the clubface. And distance generally one club longer due to the increased velocity of the release.

Most students I teach throw the club away in the downswing and a good hit is simply luck. By employing the method I have outlined, club throwaway is diminshed.

The hit with the hosel concept works good as a drill. Do pump drills with the thought of hitting the ball with the back of the hosel. On the fifth "pump", take a full swing. After enough practice with this, you will find much more solid and accurate contact, and if you have an over the top move, it should be corrected.

The one negative to this approach is that your arms will ache quite a bit in the beginning. You will not be used to swinging from the inside and producing such lag, and you will be using muscle groups that have not been used before. After a few weeks, this aching should lessen.

I want to emphasize, that you cannot hit the sweet spot consistently through a conscious manipulation of the hands. The golf swing is too quick and anyone that says otherwise is selling you false hope. You will have your moments, but an AJ Bonar type swing will leave you disappointed in the long run. My apporach will get you to the sweet spot more often without any conscious manipulation.

Hope this helps. Until someone has tried the approach I have outlined, I think it unfair to show such negativism. New golfers, if they understood how to produce lag more early on, would progress a whole lot sooner and save a lot of dollars in their search for the perfect instructor or set of clubs.

I am a teaching pro and have played on some of the Florida mini-tours a number of years back. Have won a few in my day and still play tournament golf occasionally. Yesterday shot a 68 at 6700 yards out. I am 61 years old. I am not saying this to brag, but to reinforce that the hosel concept works, as it is my only swing thought. Every student I teach this hosel drill to has expressed satisfaction with the results. But you must have an open mind, something a few of you seem to lack. "

driver & woods
fatshaft II irons
588 wedges
putter
tour ix ball gps

I agree with the wise-guys on the forum who are giving that pro a hard time....what the hell is he talking about?? "hitting the ball with the back of the hosel. "

what does that mean? isn't the back of the hosel facing in the opposite direction of the target?

EDIT: Oh, okay. I read it again and I think I get what he is saying. Bring the club to about halfway back and hold the wrist set so that club remains open....and the hosel would be facing the ball....then think of brining the hosel down towards the ball, releasing at the last second. I think that's what he is saying anyway.

I think this makes some sense, except for the hosel part. I think it would work well with a twistaway on the backswing.

Also, for a great drill check out:

http://www.pga.com/popup/iyg/2007/video/001803.html

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

I agree with the basic tenet that the hands are a HIGHLY overpublicized and overused thing in the swing. I always get in trouble the second I consciously think about releasing my hands or using them to square the clubface. When my setup is best and my swing is most relaxed and using the proper muscles, my hands don't even feel like they're doing anything, yet the contact is pure and powerful.

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

My 95 cents:

Releasing it early or late are fatal. But it's part of a larger issue.

I believe that hitting the ball solidly, straight, and at your target is mostly (maybe as much as 95%) a function of correct timing of the swing and release, provided--and these are crucial provisos--the following are true:

1. You aim the face squarely at the target at address.
2. Your grip doesn't change during the swing, such as from regripping, or by other manipulations of the grip.
3. Your hips, knees, torso, and arms are mostly parallel to the target line and square to your club face.
4. Your weight distribution and ball position are appropriate for the club you are playing and the degree of natural movement in your swing move.
5. Your actual swing stays relatively centered, without excessive swaying or bobbing, or at least any small amount of weight shifting or swaying going back is matched coming down. In other words, no massive shifting of the swing center.

I think even people of below-average coordination can manage most of this list, although number 5 may be tough for people who are really klutzy. Anyone who plays golf for a long time and gets some lessons can generally learn to do most of this list reasonably well. But most people still chop it around, like I do.

Why? I think it's because even if you get this list correct, you still need to time the club swing and wrist release with the speed of your body motion in order to hit the ball solidly. Even small errors in timing can lead to hooks, slices, pushes, fat shots, thin shots, etc.

I think the ability to swing in balance (proviso number 5 above) and to swing with the correct tempo are things that depend alot on your innate athleticism.

I hold out hope that it is possible to learn to have correct, repeating tempo and a properly timed release, but I'm not sure it is possible.

In high school chemistry terms, I believe your innate ability to have proper timing and tempo is the "rate limiting step" in your ability as a golfer.

Swing thoughts like hitting it with the hosel (if you release early) or hitting it with the toe of the club (if you release late) will probably help you change your timing, but the reality is that in the long run, you need to be able to time it consistently, over and over. You can correct it today, but if you stick with that single thought, pretty soon you'll be on the opposite side of the problem, trying to come back.

We'd all be better off--well, anyone with a handicap over about 5 or 6, I think, since those below don't really need help in this department--if we could somehow be taught to time our swings properly.

Just my opinion.

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 6104 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!