IGNORED

hitting irons better than wedges?!

Note: This thread is 6103 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've noticed a bad bad trend in my game the last month or so. Im hitting my irons, particularly my scoring irons (7-9) much better than my wedges. My contact on wedge seems to be all over the place, and i can seem to get a good swing on them, any reasons why?

Driver: r7 460 TP 10.5 w/Ozik Altus SX
3 Wood: Tour Proto 14.5 w/Ozik Xcon7 SX
Hybrid: Tour Proto. A2TS 19 w/ Matrix Ozik Altus HB SX
Irons: R7tp w/project x 6.0
Wedges: spin milled 56 w/ Proj. x 5.5 XTour60putter: Monza CorzaBall: Pro V1/ whatevers in my bag.

Contact as in, topping the ball or hitting it fat? Or, contact as in hitting it left or right of where you are aiming? Is it on full wedge shots or the shorter stuff? I noticed the other day my sand wedge chips started going left and right, turns out I was being a bit lax on the grip and alignment of the face. Very simple fix for me and I'm back to chipping with confidence.

I've noticed a bad bad trend in my game the last month or so. Im hitting my irons, particularly my scoring irons (7-9) much better than my wedges. My contact on wedge seems to be all over the place, and i can seem to get a good swing on them, any reasons why?

Maybe you're doing what I have a problem with - trying to scoop the ball into the air with your wedges. I can't tell you how many times I've chili-dipped the sand wedge or the 60 on a tight shot that I had to lob into the air. (Pitching the ball over the club house is one of the higher-pressure pitches...)

Punch the ball, don't scoop it into the air, if that's the case.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

Maybe you're doing what I have a problem with - trying to scoop the ball into the air with your wedges. I can't tell you how many times I've chili-dipped the sand wedge or the 60 on a tight shot that I had to lob into the air. (Pitching the ball over the club house is one of the higher-pressure pitches...)

no ive never had a problem with keeping my wrists solid at impact, im pretty sure im not flipping them and trying to "help" the ball in the air. And to the other comment, its mostly fat, maybe im trying to go after them too much? Keep the coments coming guys, thanks alot

Wedges: spin milled 56 w/ Proj. x 5.5 XTour60putter: Monza CorzaBall: Pro V1/ whatevers in my bag.

I had problems with my wedges and two things helped me. Setting my hands slightly forward before I started my swing and taking the club to between a 3/4 and full swing. I noticed much better, consistent contact and I didn't loose any distance.

My problems were mostly getting under the ball but these two changes helped my club connect with the ball before the grass so it could help you as well.
Drive for show, putt for dough

PutterKarsten Anser2
WedgesX-Forged 52* 58*IronsX-20 tours P-3HybridX 21 stiff4-wood R9 17 mitsubishi rayon fubuki StiffDriver R9 11.5 mitsubishi rayon fubuki Stiff

Get some Pings. You probably have big fat oversized shovels for your short irons and then you're trying to hit a players wedge. Get some shovels yo.

Whoops, just read your bag. You've got playa clubs. Must be something in your fundamentals. Move the ball back, and visualize the ball is your penis....

Nike Sweet 16

Callaway Steelhead Plus 19*

Srixon I-701 3-P

Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 52* & 58*

Cleveland VP Milled No. 3

...and visualize the ball is your penis....

What?????

Bag: Grom
Driver: HiBore 10.5° Fuji Stiff
3W: V-Steel 15° Graphite Designs YS-6 Stiff
3h-4h: Bobby Jones Stiff
5i-PW: CG4 Steel StiffWedges: 588 DSG RTG 52°, 900 RTG 56° Low bounce, Reg. 588 RTG 60°Putter: Dead CenterBalls: Pro V1 Speed Cart V1Home Courses: Riverdale Dunes / Knolls,...

hmm i dont think visualizing the ball as my penis would help much...thanks anyways ill stick to more conventional tips.

its mostly fat

Ever tried Johnny Miller's "brush-brush" drill? Basically during your practice swings you focus on brushing and marking the grass 1"-2" in front of where your ball would be. Then quickly move in, setup to the ball and try to repeat the same motion as your practice swing. This helps to train you to catch the ball first then the turf. I've found it really works quite well.

Taylormade r7 460
Callaway X 3 Wood
Callaway X 5 Wood
Callaway X 7 Wood
Callaway X Hybrid (24*)TaylorMade r7 Irons (5-PW)Mizuno MP-R Series Wedges (52,58 degrees)Ping G2 Anser Putter

If these are 3/4 to full swing wedges then I would say it is because you are hitting the ground first and not the ball.

I would move the ball in the middle of your stance at a minimum and try hitting down on the ball and make sure you contact the ball before your club hits the ground. Once your club hits the ground there are so many things that can happen to the club head that its tough to get good conistant results.

Also try practising with one handed shots with your forward hand. If you release too early you will hit the ground before getting to the ball. If you hold your release off until you hit the ball you will hit crisp sold shots, even with only one hand. This should also get you to hit down on the ball a little more too.

Note: This thread is 6103 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!