IGNORED

looking to fill my bag... new club advice

Note: This thread is 3698 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

As I build my bag and get some consistency in my game, except for the putter. I am looking for club advice. I currently play 4-sw n 58 and a 9.5 deg driver. Avg distances off the tee for the driver are 250-275 with roll and 4 iron 190 -210. This leaves a huge gap esp off the fairwat where the 4i sucks and the 5 goes a decent 180. I am looking for something that can be used off the fairway or rough a 4/5 wood or a hybrid what would you guys suggest ??

In the :tmade: san clemente 14 way bag: :ping: G30 Stiff shaft driver 9deg upped to 10 :tmade: RocketBallz 4-sw Steel Stiff Shaft :callaway: 50 degree wedge :wilson_staff: 58 deg Wedge :cleve: Center shaft putter :titleist: Balls & :footjoy: BOA shoes

If I am correct, you have a total of 11 clubs including your putter.

How about 3W and 5W? or 3W and 3 hybrid, which in many cases will be equivalent to 5W in terms of distance.  Or just go with 3 hybrid and leave out the 3W.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If I am correct, you have a total of 11 clubs including your putter.

How about 3W and 5W? or 3W and 3 hybrid, which in many cases will be equivalent to 5W in terms of distance.  Or just go with 3 hybrid and leave out the 3W.

+1

I have a 3W and a 21* hybrid.   I also own a 5W but never carry it.  The hybrid might be a little shorter in distance (10-15yds) than the 5W but I find it works infinitely better than the 5W from anywhere except a perfect lie.

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

Depends a lot on your swing characteristics.

Some people can hit a 3W, while others do better with a 4W. I discuss this in last year's review of Exotics XRail FWs and a demo day,, if you're interested: http://thesandtrap.com/products/tour-edge-exotics-xrail-fairway-woods/reviews/4747

You might go w/ 3W and 5W, or 4W and 7W. And, if your 4i is a troublesome, you might dump it for a 4H.

Find an outdoor demo day if you're auditioning multiple long clubs. Can't tell  until you hit them. Consider both model and shaft variety, go with what works best.

Last year's Callaway XHot family and the TM RBZ Stage 2 also had some good woods, if you can find what you need.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Yup 11 clubs but ordered a 50 deg. Pw is 45 ans sw is 55. So 2 clubs max some thing easy to hit off the fairway n rough

In the :tmade: san clemente 14 way bag: :ping: G30 Stiff shaft driver 9deg upped to 10 :tmade: RocketBallz 4-sw Steel Stiff Shaft :callaway: 50 degree wedge :wilson_staff: 58 deg Wedge :cleve: Center shaft putter :titleist: Balls & :footjoy: BOA shoes

Depends a lot on your swing characteristics. Some people can hit a 3W, while others do better with a 4W. I discuss this in last year's review of Exotics XRail FWs and a demo day,, if you're interested: [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/products/tour-edge-exotics-xrail-fairway-woods/reviews/4747]http://thesandtrap.com/products/tour-edge-exotics-xrail-fairway-woods/reviews/4747[/URL] You might go w/ 3W and 5W, or 4W and 7W. And, if your 4i is a troublesome, you might dump it for a 4H. Find an outdoor demo day if you're auditioning multiple long clubs. Can't tell  until you hit them. Consider both model and shaft variety, go with what works best. Last year's Callaway XHot family and the TM RBZ Stage 2 also had some good woods, if you can find what you need.

Thanks. I use the 4i now primarily for punches or tee shots . Will try out the xhot n tm rbz stage 2. But primary differences between 3 and 4 w ?

Finally found a place which does true fittings... wit a 3 wood off the mat avg club head speed 95 mph ball speed 135 mph back spin of 3200 rpm and sidespin of 300 rpm but a low launch angle... dont remember the numbers I was suggested that I go for a regular flex....does that seem correct ????

Just to add my avg carry distance was 217yds with the 3 wood off the mat

The average 3W is about 15* loft, while the 4W is about 17*. The Ping K15 3W ( a few years back) had a 16* 3W.

If you have a model of fairway woods that features both a 3W and a 4W, count on about 2* loft difference. Reports from Golf Digest indicate the average golfer can hit a 4W better - and sometimes farther --  than a 3W. A little extra loft can do wonders in getting the ball up.

You would need to do a side-by-side comparison to see which is best for you. (And, of course, the shaft matters.. what is the flex, does it have low, mid or high launch, and how much does it weigh,)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

The average 3W is about 15* loft, while the 4W is about 17*. The Ping K15 3W ( a few years back) had a 16* 3W.

If you have a model of fairway woods that features both a 3W and a 4W, count on about 2* loft difference. Reports from Golf Digest indicate the average golfer can hit a 4W better - and sometimes farther --  than a 3W. A little extra loft can do wonders in getting the ball up.

You would need to do a side-by-side comparison to see which is best for you. (And, of course, the shaft matters.. what is the flex, does it have low, mid or high launch, and how much does it weigh,)

thanks.

does the recommendation based on the swing speed and ball speed numbers seem correct ?

92 MPH clubhead speed is the rough dividing line between Regular and Still flex for drivers. Remember, manufacturers have no industry standard on R or S flexes.

Also, golfers with a quick transition into downswing benefit from stiffer shafts.

If you have good clubhead speed but a low launch, it could either be a shaft/head problem, or a swing/set-up problem.

As for reading spin figures, I ask the experts for help on that.

Thanks. I doubt that it was a shaft problem coz some of the strokes got up nicely so prolly a me issue esp since I have never hit a wood

Note: This thread is 3698 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!