IGNORED

Wrapping It Up :-(

Dent
Note: This thread is 6094 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Its august 22nd and I think Im wrapping it up for the year. Unfortunatly, I've totally lost my golf talent now and I cannot hit my wedge at all. Completely shanking left and I really dont like going out and fixing it now. I feel really bad that Im not golfing because I have been doing great for the whole year, but without my wedge my game is ruined.

I need to start getting ready for hockey and getting in shape and gaining weight etc. Its unfortunate I have to end this early, and Ive totally avoided the effort to make a tee time. Ive been so busy I havn't been golfing since Saturday.

Is it bad that im wrapping it up this early? I honestly feel bad, but ive still easily gotten the balance of my membership. (50 Games without a membership x $24.00 = $1200) (My membership was $500)

Anyone one else done or is it just me?
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

Anyone one else done or is it just me?

I would love to get out one more time....but I haven;t had the time since I returned from Myrtle in July.

I've played approx 10 full rounds this summer....only one here on Long Island. The other 9 down in Myrtle over the course of two trips. It's depressing. I had made 2007 the year I was going to break 90 and actually start making use of my equipment (which I must say, for my handicap, is beyond me...). I'm not only thinking of packing it up for the year, but I'm thinking about selling my current set and getting a set of easier to hit clubs...I just dont get out often enough to get all I want out of the current set. depressed!

If I gave up every time my game went south, I'd have quit at least 50 times by now. I can tell you that quitting isn't the answer.

I've never had a serious shanking problem so I can't offer any advice other than to hang in and keep working on it. Your wedges shouldn't be any different from any other iron... if you are making a different swing for them (apparently) then try using the same setup and swing you do for the longer irons, only with the ball a bit back in your stance. If you can hit a 9I, then the wedges really shouldn't be any different, unless the shaft or swingweight is very different from your other clubs. I can tell you from experience that buying a wedge that is significantly different from the rest of your irons CAN cause problems. I have a SW that I can't hit... It feels great when I take a practice swing, but for whatever reason I always hit it fat. I've worked on setup, stance, swing... can't hit it a lick. But my Cleveland I hit great. So keep looking... there IS a solution, but you won't find it by giving up.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Don't do it!

I know I will play long after the leaves have fallen and the grass is dead this year. Ok..short term fix for your wedges..when i try a feel type shot now, i keep my left elbow slightly flexed. not too much..just a bit.

In the bag:
905R 9.5* Fujikura Speeder S
X 15* Fujikura R
X 19* Fujikura S
4-P MP-14 TT DGS300 53* 588 Gunmetal MP series 56-14 TT wedge MP-R 60-09 Rifle SpinnerDFX Two ball Pro V1

Well I can see why you're wrapping it up this early... after all you live in 'Winterpeg' and the snow is falling already isn't it?

Dude, come on... that's very depressing why you're quitting this early. I'm making plans for a golf trip in September which is like one of the most beautiful months to play golf! Indian summer isn't even here yet!???

I see that you carry one wedge other than your PW. Are you trying to hit that with a full swing most times? If so a 60 degree can be quite temperamental when a full swing is required. Depending on the bounce of the club it can be quite fatal! You need another wedge. Perhaps a 54 or 56 depending on what your PW loft is. Make sure the bounce is also the right one for what you want out of it. Since you've saved like $700 by buying a membership and not playing piece meal like alot of us do... you might as well invest in a good wedge with the 'savings'.

What's In my bag:

Driver: TaylorMade R5 Dual 9.5* UST Proforce V2 77g S
3Wood: Mizuno F-60 13.5* Mizuno Exsar 75S
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 3/4 Aldila VS Proto 80SIrons: Adams Pro Forged (5-PW) True Temper Black Gold SWedges: Cleveland 588 (3) 50, 588 (DSG) 54 & 60Putter: Ping i-Series Craz-EBalls:.....

Dent,

Don't quit. Hockey is important to you, but you will play golf far longer than you will ever play hockey. The shanks will go away soon. Keep going till the snow flies man, that won't be long for us.

What's in my bag:
Driver : R7, 10.5 degree, stock stiff shaft
16 Degree Hybrid - Cobra Baffler DWS, with stiff stock shaft
20 Degree Hybrid - Cobra Baffler, with Accra Shaft, Stiff
26 Degree Hybrid - Cobra Baffler, with Accra Shaft, Stiff6 - PW - Bridgestone CG Mid, Dynamic Gold LiteWedges : TBA...

Very depressing thread. Anyhow dont give up, if your index is an 8 then you have the ability, your just going through something right now that you have to work out. Kind of weird that you are shanking your wedge left and you are a right handed??

Do some research on the web and try and find out some solution. You'll be fine. The game will be enjoyable to you again.
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

I messed around with the stack and tilt swing earlier this year and came down with some serious shanks....I was ready to quit. It took me a month to shake them. Posture, posture, posture was the key for me. A good solid setup and then maintaining my posture throughout the swing.

If you are an 8 handicap it's probably not your swing, I would look at the setup, posture, balance, etc.

dent
i understand what ur sayin about the hockey ... im gonna be the same way when deer season gets here .
i reckon as long as we still hit some at the range or in the yard every now and then and not forget about golf it will be ok..

good luck to ya bro

driver & woods
fatshaft II irons
588 wedges
putter
tour ix ball gps

Thanks guys, and as for my wedge i meant to say I shank Right :S This is happening with both my 60 degree and my Pitching wedge. I didnt mean quitting forever, i meant the year, and i know I shouldnt. Its just so depressing when you are excited about a nice round and then your fine until you pull out that wedge. I'll try and make a tee time and see how it goes. I know im going into my dads work tournament on friday and then Junior Closing on sunday So i can let you guys know what happens. Lately my rounds have been horrible shooting high 80's etc. The other day i was 20 yards away in 2 on a par 5, i pull out the pitching wedge and completely shank it sideways. Its depressing.
In My Bag

5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

Thanks guys, and as for my wedge i meant to say I shank Right :S This is happening with both my 60 degree and my Pitching wedge. I didnt mean quitting forever, i meant the year, and i know I shouldnt. Its just so depressing when you are excited about a nice round and then your fine until you pull out that wedge. I'll try and make a tee time and see how it goes. I know im going into my dads work tournament on friday and then Junior Closing on sunday So i can let you guys know what happens. Lately my rounds have been horrible shooting high 80's etc. The other day i was 20 yards away in 2 on a par 5, i pull out the pitching wedge and completely shank it sideways. Its depressing.

You know, on one hand the ball will make you happy, and on the other, it can really humble you. Hell, the ball even humbles the best pros in the world at times, and serves up a big number.

When you realize that the ball will always win, you'll have a lot more fun.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

No way, my game is in tip top shape right now. Now I am back in college I have people to play with!

MX500 9.5* S
Burrows Golf MAC Powersphere 3W
IDEA PRO Irons
Perfect Club 21*
IDEA PRO 3HSakamoto 54* X-tour 60* Newport 2 Pro Platinum Custom

Dent, you need to man-up. When it's freezing cold in February and you start shanking all of your shots on goal to the right are you going to hang up your skates and bust out your clubs? I didn't think so - get out to the range and figure out your problem so you can enjoy playing golf while the weather is still favorable.

Bag: Grom
Driver: HiBore 10.5° Fuji Stiff
3W: V-Steel 15° Graphite Designs YS-6 Stiff
3h-4h: Bobby Jones Stiff
5i-PW: CG4 Steel StiffWedges: 588 DSG RTG 52°, 900 RTG 56° Low bounce, Reg. 588 RTG 60°Putter: Dead CenterBalls: Pro V1 Speed Cart V1Home Courses: Riverdale Dunes / Knolls,...

The other day i was 20 yards away in 2 on a par 5, i pull out the pitching wedge and completely shank it sideways. Its depressing.

So pull out the 9iron instead and pitch it with that!? At least that'll take away any psychological effect of having the PW in your hand and allow you to make the proper stroke without grimacing and holding the grip really tight. A 20 yard pitch is never really easy anyways so play a little runner up onto the green with the 9 or 8 or even 7!? Golf is hard enough physically... you might as well get the mental side working for you and not against you. Once you've re-established some confidence try hitting the PW and 60 again at the range and work it out.

Cheers.

What's In my bag:

Driver: TaylorMade R5 Dual 9.5* UST Proforce V2 77g S
3Wood: Mizuno F-60 13.5* Mizuno Exsar 75S
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 3/4 Aldila VS Proto 80SIrons: Adams Pro Forged (5-PW) True Temper Black Gold SWedges: Cleveland 588 (3) 50, 588 (DSG) 54 & 60Putter: Ping i-Series Craz-EBalls:.....

Im going on friday and sunday. its not just the wedge problem, its other things. Like ive always wanted to make this one Hockey team thats a level up from what i play since i was 12. And ive been soo close and im basically the number 1 prospect to make it this year, this is my best chance and i dont wanna blow it by not getting into shape. Hockey starts middle of september and with working out and on the ice its really tough to fit in a game now. I dont know when i can fit something in.
In My Bag

I don't "wrap it up" I play through the winter so...lol. But I haven't played since Saturday because of all the rain...it feels like MONTHS.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

Note: This thread is 6094 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!