IGNORED

How long/often do you practice?

GolfnGriff
Note: This thread is 6090 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I usually practice three times a week for about a hour and half. I am really just trying to work on my stamina and my driving when I am at the range. I also go out in the yard at least every other day and work on chipping. I work at least 40 hours a week at a bank so it is hard to work in practice time.

BTW, ClintonM3 is that your Boston in your avatar? I've got a year and a half old Boston named Gizmo.

Driver:  Speedline 9.5° w/ Grafalloy Prolaunch AXIS Red Shaft
Fairway:  '07 Burner Fairways
Irons:  Apex Edge 3-W

Wedge:  52° & 58° /  60° 588 Satin

Putter:  Anser 4

BTW, ClintonM3 is that your Boston in your avatar? I've got a year and a half old Boston named Gizmo.

Yes! His name is Killian. And he likes to steal my golf balls.

This thread inspired me to go buy a practice mat, so I can swing at home, since so many are practicing like is their job. I still go to the range, large bucket, with every club, on my day off. Small buckets during lunch, but with only 1 or 2 clubs mix and match. The practic mat is just like the range, which is good, but I can only use whiffle balls or foam balls. And as mentioned, my dog steals and hides them.

I like to hit the range 2-3 times week. Normally 150 balls a time. Also like to play 2-4 times a week which imo you cant beat playing. Its better then practicing, but obviously you have to practice to get the confidence to do it on the course!

Normally 150 balls will take me 1:30~2 hours. I really need to practice more putting although i do practice, just not enough.
Superquad 9.5 Stiff
G5 3 Wood Stiff
MP-57 3-PW
R-Series 56 Wedge
52 & 60 WedgesWH #5

Does hitting 20 balls before a round count? Unfortunately, I would have to answer almost never - and my handicap reflects it. I just don't have the time.

I hit about 20-30 balls a week in my basement, where I have a mat and net. But, not being able to 'see' the results, it's all based on feel...

WITB: Driver: Titleist 910 D2 10.5 R / 5 Wood: r7 ti / Irons: Ping G15 Steel R (3-P, U), / Wedges: Vokey SM4 56/11 SM4 60/07 / Putter: Scotty GoLo 33" / Ball: Titleist Velocity / Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 4.0 / GPS: SG3

Trying to spend less time beating balls at a practice range and more time reading various literature on the golf swing and trying to understand my own swing. Then put my learnings to practice but only after careful consideration, especially if I am going to attempt to change something in my swing.

I started off the year tinkering with every part of my swing by going to range everyday and just hitting balls while trying different things. My scores were horrible, my handicap went up and only recently have I started to turn things around.

Practice? Yes. But trying to practice in a correct, effective manner these days without "overdoing" it.

I play almost everyday, whether driving range or course. (in the summer that is, once I go back to school it'll be about 3-4 times per week.)

But, I try to get to the range once to twice per week and hit about 100 golf balls which is a large bucket, it helps me work on everything. I then go over to the practice green and chip/putt for a half hour, then I go home. That's my usual practice routine on days I don't actually play.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

i practice usually around 6-7 times a week (this summer). during the year it'll probably be 3-4 times
I'm a member at a public golf course so I get free play mon-fri and free range tokens so I usually hit the range for at least 1.5 hours sometimes longer and then some chipping and putting. If i'm feeling it, I'll go out and play 9 after hitting the range. I get a lot of practice time in, it feels so satisfactory for me

XTD Pro - 9.5* - GD YSQ
GS Tour - 15* -GD Red Ice
Rescue TP - 17* - Fujikura TP
Idea Pro Gold - 20* - Mitsubishi JavlnFX
MP-30, 4-PW - Standard Lofts / 2* flat - TT DG RAC Z TP (54*/10*) X-Forged (60*/10*)Scotty Cameron TeI3 - 35"

I was practicing everyday. Lunch time i use my 1 hr lunch schedule to go to the range. I buy 2 monthly package specials. 1 small bucket for the lunch time and then medium bucket for after work at 6:pm.

Sideline now for three months, left shoulder surgery.

HiBore XL Tour 10.5* Fujikura Speeder 652 Tour Spec X-Flex
HiBore 15* FW Aldila 70-S "Proto By You"
Hibore 2i Aldila 80-S "Proto By you"
MP-67 3-pw *Project X 6.0
MP-R Black Nickel wedges 52*-7 56*-10 60*-5 *Project X 6.0 GM2 Exchange #6 Staff Bag

Yes! His name is Killian. And he likes to steal my golf balls.

Mine does the same thing. If I try to putt accross the living room floor he will have the golf ball in his mouth before it gets anywhere close to the practice cup. I have to lock him in another room or put him in the back yard in order to practice on the carpet.

Driver:  Speedline 9.5° w/ Grafalloy Prolaunch AXIS Red Shaft
Fairway:  '07 Burner Fairways
Irons:  Apex Edge 3-W

Wedge:  52° & 58° /  60° 588 Satin

Putter:  Anser 4

It's definitely not how long/how often....it should be what and how you practice. Not everyone is Vijay and can stand up on the range pounding balls (that's what she said) for hours at a time. I tend to be more like Billy Mayfair. I'll hit the short game area (if there is one, if there isn't I'll make my own) for about 60% of my practice time, however long that is. I work on tempo, feel, and pre-shot routine trying to make every shot. I'll hit lobs, pitches, chips, bump and runs, and bunker shots. I try to put myself in situations that I might see on the course (everyone can make 20 foot chips from the fairway).

I'll spend 30% of the time putting working on again feel, my routine, and making putts (especially 4 to 5 footers). I get a kick out of people who do nothing but miss putts in practice and then wonder why they don't make them on the course.

Then I'll hit the range working on target selection, you guessed it, pre-shot routine, and trusting my swing. If something doesn't feel right I'll work it out but without hitting any balls. I want to make sure that every time I make contact with a ball I trust my mechanics completely.

Most days this is a 2 or 3 hour affair, but I've worked out everywhere from 30 minutes to an hour to 4 or 5 hours. I don't like the marathon sessions, and some weeks I'll work out every day, every other day, or less but that really all depends.

dmz

In My Bag:
Driver: 975J, 9.5, Grafalloy ProLite 3.5+ (tipped)
3 wood:
F-50, 15, True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 Irons: TA3 Form Forged, True Temper Dynamic Gold, 3-PW Wedges: Tour Action REG. 588, 51 & 60 RTG, 56 Chrome Putter: Studio Style, Newport 1.5 Ball: ProV1*

I love to practice. The most time I can spend on a weekend session is 2 1/2 hours. I'll practice everything during that time. During the summer, I'll get out to the practice area 1-3 times a week. When I'm on the range I hit about 75% of my shots using my preshot routine. I try not to rake and hit. On other days, I'll bring the shag bag and hit the pitching/chipping green. Since it's late I can usually putt on the same green. I can putt for about an hour before my back starts to hurt.

Our driving range is a 3 tier grass range about 150 yards wide. When it's empty, I'll go out and use the Sky Caddie to setup some yardages on the middle tier then practice hitting shots from 30-80 yards (7:30 and 9:00 swings with different wedges).

Driver: R7 SuperQuad TP 9.5° Fujikura Rombax 6X07
Hybrid: Rescue TP 19°

Orlimar3wood: Hip-Steel 15° (oldie but goodie)Irons: Ping i10 [4-GW] DG X-100Wedges: Ping Tour-W [54° & 58°] DG X-100Putter: i-Series Piper HBalls: B330-S or e5+

I have up and down comps with friends from short and long ranges in practice. Its really fun.
Driver Titleist 905R 9.5* (Stiff Prolaunch Blue 65g)
Hybrid: PT 585.H 17 * (Stiff titleist 75g shaft)
Irons: 695.cb 3-9 ( Dynamic Gold S300)
Wedges: 735.CM 47* PW, Vokey 200 series 50.08 Oil Can Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 Tour chrome, Vokey Spin Milled 58.08 Oil canPutter: Wilson Staff Kirk Kurrie #1[CO.....

I practice once a week on "average" for about 90 minutes or so - I'm flexible about the effort. It has been so hot in August that I've skipped it for the most part. I practice more when things are going wrong. I do focus on chipping. pitching and putting more than just hitting balls. I'm lucky in that I actually enjoy it. Paladin

Note: This thread is 6090 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!