IGNORED

Titanium Golf Clubs can cause fires

boogielicious
Note: This thread is 3566 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

No joke I guess, according to this recent article I read. Sorry if its a repost. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/03/140319143910.htm Here is the video. [VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdsYHgG3jlI[/VIDEO]

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

I've seen my driver make sparks on the tee box when I've taken a practice swing and grazed the ground.  There's quite a bit of sand here.

Yes the driver will spark, but no it won't set off any golf course fires. Unless you happen to be golfing at a course where the teebox is composed entirely of gasoline soaked matchsticks, there will be no ignition. Have you ever tried to burn green plant matter? It doesn't work, the best it does is smolder.

I'm honestly not sure what sort of scientific process these people went though, because the odds of the sparks landing perfectly on a incredibly dry piece of scrub brush (as they mentioned in the article) are slimmer than you would think. The sparks don't even last long enough to ignite the brush unless the immediately are in contact with it, in which case you would be swinging impressively fast for being INSIDE a bush.

It just seems ridiculous that they're claiming this is causing golf course fires. I won't believe that it can reasonably be done (unless you're trying to do it on purpose for a study) in a round of golf until I see a verifiable news report that specifically states the fire was caused by a club sparking on the ground.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I had a Titanium Cobra diver in the mid-90s that would throw an occasional spark.

With that said,  I have questions about the above video though....the guy looks like he's swinging a driver at pieces of flint for the sole purpose of making a spark..........LOL.........yea, no Sh!T mister........it's going to spark when you do that!!!!

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Yes the driver will spark, but no it won't set off any golf course fires. Unless you happen to be golfing at a course where the teebox is composed entirely of gasoline soaked matchsticks, there will be no ignition. Have you ever tried to burn green plant matter? It doesn't work, the best it does is smolder. I'm honestly not sure what sort of scientific process these people went though, because the odds of the sparks landing perfectly on a incredibly dry piece of scrub brush (as they mentioned in the article) are slimmer than you would think. The sparks don't even last long enough to ignite the brush unless the immediately are in contact with it, in which case you would be swinging impressively fast for being INSIDE a bush. It just seems ridiculous that they're claiming this is causing golf course fires. I won't believe that it can reasonably be done (unless you're trying to do it on purpose for a study) in a round of golf until I see a verifiable news report that specifically states the fire was caused by a club sparking on the ground.

I believe the article referenced a dry area. Possibly a desert area course. The courses are not all lush jungles, like I agree they should be.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

I believe the article referenced a dry area. Possibly a desert area course. The courses are not all lush jungles, like I agree they should be.

Yeah, but you're not getting the same amount of sparks as the guy shown in a desert area. You get maybe one or two sparks, and sometimes none, if you're swinging in a sandy area. You don't get a flurry of sparks as was shown in the video.

He was testing the hypothesis that the location of the start of a actual fire or fires on a golf course were made possible by a +30 handicapper in an effort by global insurance conglomerates to require fire policies be purchased by bad golfers. It has to be true, the guy was wearing a suit.

Tom R.

He was testing the hypothesis that the location of the start of a actual fire or fires on a golf course were made possible by a +30 handicapper in an effort by global insurance conglomerates to require fire policies be purchased by bad golfers. It has to be true, the guy was wearing a suit.

Those starting locations could have just as easily been caused by someone dropping a cigarette butt, dropping a match they light a cigarette with, or any other number of causes of regular wildfires. It just doesn't make sense to blame the clubs when it can just as easily been caused by numerous other factors.

Posts merged into an existing thread.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Yeah I vote for the stogie factor myself.

Tom R.

Note: This thread is 3566 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!