IGNORED

My Swing (late347)

late347
Note: This thread is 3561 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Videos are in the two links. My goal for shots is obviously straight shot, or either fades or draws, which put me acceptably into edge of fairway or rough.

I'm hi-handicapper hoping to lower handicap this summer at my local club.

I'm using the strategy of NOT -using-driver or fairway wood. Instead I teeoff with a hybrid. I have 24deg and 21deg hybrids which have good shafts. And, I have a 17deg hybrid with a different shaft.

Sure, this costs some extra strokes on long holes, but since I'm hi-capper, I teeoff from the closest allowed tees.

I can reach the green in such a manner (from closest tees) in three strokes max . This allows me 1-2 putts in theory at least.

This puts me going for either bogey or par, at worst, in theory, for the immediate future. Maybe with some extra effort I can learn the driver club during this year sometime ..

MY WORST MISTAKES ARE:

-hooking (not the most common but very annoying when it hapens.)

-thin shots (low fast shots, incredible bounces, and some spin forward I think) (average common error)

-push shots (straight shot, except it flies into slightly righthandside, from the aiming line.) (very common error)

IN THE VIDEOS, 7-IRON WENT GREAT, NO PROBs (slight fade, draw, and straight shots)

IN HYBRID SWING THERE ARE SOME PROBs

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Gorbag/media/video-2014-04-27-15-57-40.mp4.html?filters[user]=749934&filters;[recent]=1&sort;=1&o;=0

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Gorbag/media/video-2014-04-27-15-58-56.mp4.html

Always a good link to refresh on. Can't tell from that angle, but some reading can't hurt.

As for the swing. Your head is all over the place. I would work on keeping your head steadier, and then work on getting your weight forward at impact while maintaining that steady head. From there you can build on other things in the swing.

On a side note, please learn to embed your videos like I have done here. It makes it easier on us who look at your golf swing. I recommend using Youtube if photobucket doesn't work. The video embed button is the film real looking icon in the reply box, just right of the landscape icon for embeding images. Thanks!!!

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

as to my swing, I do shift weight.

But it might not be as pronounced weight shift as the dude with the glasses in your example video

He's basically standing crooked with his posture at impact which looks alittle bit weird (like he's falling over?), at least compared to my swing.

It doesn't look like a picture series from my golf guide paperback book! :-D

But I guess you get more power that way, with extreme weight shift?

• 3 weeks later...

Any comments on my new swing, including driver? Can you compare the orange shirt swing, to the blue shirt swing (blue shirt swing was earlier in the spring)

So, orange shirt was taken yesterday, blue shirt is old swing. Any better or worse please compare orange to blue!

driver swing... The third shot really flew well as a sidenote

17deg hybrid this shot went a little bit low, but still straight and far with roll...

Incidentally I seem to get about the same distances with 24deg and 17deg hybrids, weird, but it seems to be the case.

17deg hybrid is not in my bag as of currently, I have the more loftier hybrids 21deg and 24deg instead...

17deg hybrid

7-iron

old 21deg hybrid swing

old 7-iron swing

Work on keeping the head steady, it's all over the place

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

Work on keeping the head steady, it's all over the place

aargh tough croud bro!! hard to please... any good drills for this head steady thing? :dance:

Don't some of the pro players move their head a little bit too? Like the powerhitters on pga tour?

Which is better for steady head, and overall swing quality

Orange vs blue choose the better one?

Anything else wrong than unsteady head (I mean my head was slightly unsteady in orange, BUT I could still see the ball with both eyes though)

I was bombing the driver yesterday , I CARRIED 260 yards (total 270 yards) PROVEN with eyesight... at the range with range balls

With roll added for total distance, I drove to about 270 yards (I saw that after first bounce of the drive at the 260 yard mark, the ball hit the back fence of the driving range and stopped at that.

This drill is great, you can do it indoors as well. It will get you feeling what a centered pivot feels like at the top of the swing. Do this drill a few times, then make slow swings trying to make yourself get to that position at the top. Use a mirror or a video camera to back up you are doing it right.

Don't some of the pro players move their head a little bit too? Like the powerhitters on pga tour?

Which is better for steady head, and overall swing quality

Steady head leads to overall swing quality. I am not saying keep your head still, but steady. That allows some sway, some rotation, but not as much as you do.

Here is Dustin Johnson's swing. Big HITTER. He has a good amount of movement, but his head doesn't move side to side that much at all. It rotates a lot in the backswing. He rotate's it back a bit in the downswing, but keeps it steady. He does lower the head, but that is a power move (see Tiger Woods). See how his head really never leaves that vertical read line, it doesn't sway much left or right.

Orange vs blue choose the better one?

Anything else wrong than unsteady head (I mean my head was slightly unsteady in orange, BUT I could still see the ball with both eyes though)

I was bombing the driver yesterday, I CARRIED 260 yards (total 270 yards) PROVEN with eyesight... at the range with range balls

With roll added for total distance, I drove to about 270 yards (I saw that after first bounce of the drive at the 260 yard mark, the ball hit the back fence of the driving range and stopped at that.

They both look the same to me.  Well you can always see the ball. I can see a lot of things moving around. The problem is your constantly have to readjust with your hands were to strike the ball with a moving hand. It would be like me saying. Take a gun, now stand still and shoot the target. Ok on the second shot you are going to bounce back and forth left and right. Which one do you think is easier to hit a bullseye with?

Ok you were bombing it, how good are you at it over an 18 hole round? How often are you in trouble compared to in the fairway? Just saying you can be bombing it a long way and be accurate if you get your swing cleaned up.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Steady head leads to overall swing quality. I am not saying keep your head still, but steady. That allows some sway, some rotation, but not as much as you do.

Here is Dustin Johnson's swing. Big HITTER. He has a good amount of movement, but his head doesn't move side to side that much at all. It rotates a lot in the backswing. He rotate's it back a bit in the downswing, but keeps it steady. He does lower the head, but that is a power move (see Tiger Woods). See how his head really never leaves that vertical read line, it doesn't sway much left or right.

They both look the same to me.  Well you can always see the ball. I can see a lot of things moving around. The problem is your constantly have to readjust with your hands were to strike the ball with a moving hand. It would be like me saying. Take a gun, now stand still and shoot the target. Ok on the second shot you are going to bounce back and forth left and right. Which one do you think is easier to hit a bullseye with?

Ok you were bombing it, how good are you at it over an 18 hole round? How often are you in trouble compared to in the fairway? Just saying you can be bombing it a long way and be accurate if you get your swing cleaned up.

I got a question about Dustin Johnson's backswing and head position. Don't you think he's a little bit over the top with his head rotation towards the right side? Dustin's head rotates back towards his hands and the golf club. (he rotates his head towards his own right side so much)

Dustin can no longer see the ball past his own big nose - with both his eyes, losing depth perception.

Is this severe head rotation necessary for powerhitting? Is it a good idea to incorporate into my swing? I'm little bit hesitant about this much head rotation.

I just felt happy about the driver shots today, personal best sofar... Achieved by swinging the driver more smooth, and being more relaxed in my muscles!!! :-)

I got a question about Dustin Johnson's backswing and head position. Don't you think he's a little bit over the top with his head rotation towards the right side? Dustin's head rotates back towards his hands and the golf club. (he rotates his head towards his own right side so much)

Dustin can no longer see the ball past his own big nose - with both his eyes, losing depth perception.

Is this severe head rotation necessary for powerhitting? Is it a good idea to incorporate into my swing? I'm little bit hesitant about this much head rotation.

I just felt happy about the driver shots today, personal best sofar... Achieved by swinging the driver more smooth, and being more relaxed in my muscles!!!

Not when he's turning what looks like 105 to 110 degree shoulder turn. :whistle: There is only so much the neck can take before it has to rotate due to the left shoulder.

I wouldn't say he can't see it. He's probably looking at the ball out of the corner of his eye.

I wouldn't say its a trend of power hitters. Its a trend of golfers who get their shoulders past 90 degrees at the top.

Rory is past 90 a bit there, and his head is a bit less rotated. I think he gets a more upright swing, so that might help him keep his left shoulder from pushing his head. Still his head does rotate, but its due to his turn not because he hits it 300 yards.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

yea Dustin Johnson is like the 2nd place at driving distance on PGA tour at the moment...

Top place is the good old man from Florida, Bubba Watson. :-D

Tiger also doesn't rotate shoullders so far either. Tiger sees the ball pretty well I'd wager.

Left knee rotates inward too much on the backswing. Left hip and head move away from the target. I would recommend the left knee feeling like it flexes in front of you, rather than towards your right foot. Will help keep things centered and set up some good things for the downswing.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Left knee rotates inward too much on the backswing. Left hip and head move away from the target. I would recommend the left knee feeling like it flexes in front of you, rather than towards your right foot. Will help keep things centered and set up some good things for the downswing.

Does correcting the knee motion - fix both the problem of hip motion and feeling more balanced (or centered)

Because I didn't quite understand what you meant by hip movement?

Of course the left hip moves - left hip must rotate, so you get more coil in the swing, am I right

So, basically correct me or confirm me, but I have to stop swaying the hips, to the backfoot, because the knee movement to the backleg, is causing the hips to move to the backleg also?

Does correcting the knee motion - fix both the problem of hip motion and feeling more balanced (or centered)

Because I didn't quite understand what you meant by hip movement?

Of course the left hip moves - left hip must rotate, so you get more coil in the swing, am I right

So, basically correct me or confirm me, but I have to stop swaying the hips, to the backfoot, because the knee movement to the backleg, is causing the hips to move to the backleg also?

For the grip, watch the first video

http://thesandtrap.com/t/73018/my-swing-shindig/18#post_986697

Mike McLoughlin

Thank you mvmac! It seems ya folks are pretty knowledgable about golf around this subforum of the sandtrap website. For further training and swing videos, should I include two points-of-view, down the line from behind and face on (such as these vids I already had made)

For further training and swing videos, should I include two points-of-view, down the line from behind and face on (such as these vids I already had made)

Yes

Mike McLoughlin

Bubba watson has little bit inward knee flex in his lead leg. But I guess he's doing it less than me...?

Sure does, as do all great players. As I said in the video, to get the lead knee looking like Bubba or the other examples I've given you, you'll need to feel like the left knee flexes in front of you.

Guess what his hips don't do, they don't slide back, they turn.

Mike McLoughlin

mvmac, Sorry but I never understood the following aspect of the driver swing , can you please clarify? My driver impacts are extremely inconsistent, I can either bomb it, or just terribly mishit it.

1. you want to have most weight on the lead leg, at impact position correct?

2. in order to hit the ball the most effective with driver, do I need slightly upwards strike? My clubhead speed has not been measured, but my best drive thusfar has been 275 yards carry in neutral sideways wind (+ maybe a few yards roll). My driver is big bertha 10,5deg regular shaft. Clubhead speed should be at least 100-105mph, if we guesstimated from distance vs clubhead speed charts.

Certain portion of my  low flying mishits, can often reach 275 yards total distance, (mostly due to extreme rolls)

3. How is is possible to do both 1 and 2, at impact position? Weight forward on the lead leg, and also slight upwards strike at the ball, at impact position?

4. Doesn't your center of balance (in terms of physics) become completely disturbed? Basically, at adress position, you tilt the spine slightly towards the backfoot, in order to induce possibility for upward strike at the ball.

5. During backswing, you coil around your body, presumably maintaining the spine tilt (in order to keep upwards strike possible, same low point of the swing so to speak) So, in other words try to maintain the reverse K- setup at backswing, downswing and impact.

In other words, to maintain the spine tilt, of the adress position until impact, yes or not?)

Note: This thread is 3561 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!