IGNORED

Need advice in getting a Fairway wood

RKO
Note: This thread is 6061 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello, I have a handicap of around 14-15 and I am in need for some advice on getting some decent Fairway woods (possibly 3 and 5). To shed some light on my game, my past three scores have been, 86 (Par 71) (124/68.6); 78 (Par 67) (109/63.8); 89 (Par 72) (126/71.1). I play my driver with an average of 230-240 yards. I am looking for a club to fill in the gap between 190-220'ish respectively. I can strike the ball fairly decent, but something more forgiving would be a bonus for sure. I am frustrated in maxing out with a long iron on the long par 4's and coming short then attempting to get up-and-down. If anyone can suggest some Fairway woods that worked for them, that would be great. Cheers guys!
Driver: Nike 9.5° SasQuatch SUMO²
Fairway Woods: Adams 16° Tight Lies 3 Wood
Hybrids: Adams 19° Idea Pro Hybrid
Irons: Callaway X-18 4-AW (Rifle 6.0 Precision)
Wedges: TaylorMade: 56/12 Degree RAC SatinPutter: Odyssey 34" Tri-Ball SRT PutterBall: Callaway HX HOTHome...

Cleveland Hibore with the fuji gold shaft. Easy to hit and get airborne. The only three wood I've found I can hit.

Driver: Cobra HS9 X 9.0 YS Stiff
Hybrid: Cobra baffler DWS 16* NV Stiff
Hybrid: Cobra baffler DWS 20* NV Stiff
Irons: King Cobra FP 4-LW
Putter: Cobra Optica SL-01 Ball: Bridgestone B330

Just goofing around one day at the proshop, I hit the new 2007 Big Bertha 3 wood. Astounding. I've never hit anything so well off the deck. We're in similar shoes regarding length and whatnot (I generally drive 230-240) and I hit the 3w about 210 consistently.

taylormade burners is a great choice it is a bigger head very foregiving as well for cally big Berth. try them out very good of the tee not to sure about the deck i olny demo them on the monitor

Titleist 905R 10.5* w/ Avix Tour Red 69(X)
Titleist 906F4 13.5* w/ Aldila VS Proto 80(S)
Titleist 585H 17 deg w/ S300
Titleist 690.mb w/ S300
Vokey SM 56 degVokey SM 60 degSCOTTY CAMERON STUDIO STAINLESS NEWPORT 2

I have the burner 3 wood, and i abosolutely love it

In The Bag...

Driver: SQ Sumo 10.5* w/ Aldila VS Proto
3 Wood: Burner
Hybrid: SQ 18*Irons(3-PW): 755 w/ Dynamic Gold S30052.08*: Vokey Oil Can56.14*: Vokey Spin MilledPutter: Newport 2Ball: pro v1xShoes: Footjoy Athletics

You could also get a low degree hybrid. I couldnt hit my 3 wood well but I hit my hybrid great. TaylorMade made their #2 hybrid only a degree different than their 3 wood. My hybrid is a 16 degree and the burner 3 is 15 degree i think That just may open a few more options for you and I hit my hybrids alot straighter which you said was a concern. Good Luck.

In the bag:

Burner 10.5
Rescue mid 16, 19, 22, 25
X-16 irons Forged+ Vintage 48, 54, 60 Circa 62 #3 A009125

You could also get a low degree hybrid. I couldnt hit my 3 wood well but I hit my hybrid great. TaylorMade made their #2 hybrid only a degree different than their 3 wood. My hybrid is a 16 degree and the burner 3 is 15 degree i think That just may open a few more options for you and I hit my hybrids alot straighter which you said was a concern. Good Luck.

definitely something to consider

i've hit the cleveland hibore and it's nice I have the cobra ld speed f 3 wood and it's very easy to hit and nice.. however I'm guessing you need something above 3 wood like 5 wood for that range or definitely a low hybrid... my setup is 3 iron-190 3 hybrid 200-210 3 wood 220-230 driver 230

XTD Pro - 9.5* - GD YSQ
GS Tour - 15* -GD Red Ice
Rescue TP - 17* - Fujikura TP
Idea Pro Gold - 20* - Mitsubishi JavlnFX
MP-30, 4-PW - Standard Lofts / 2* flat - TT DG RAC Z TP (54*/10*) X-Forged (60*/10*)Scotty Cameron TeI3 - 35"

Bobby Jones fairway woods are great. Try one. They are amazing.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

Thanks for all the responses guys, you guys are really quick on this forum! I wrote all the suggestions down, and will be doing some research / reading reviews on them for sure, then going to the local shop to hit them. Also, I do have a TaylorMade Rescue Mid 19 degree. I used to be able to hit it great, but due to a recent swing change and grip change, I just cannot seem to hit it anymore (atrocious hook almost every single hit) so I am thinking of desperately making the switch to fairway woods again.

Cleveland Hibore (Fujikira Gold Shaft)
Callaway Big Bertha 2007
TaylorMade Burner
Corbra LD Speed F
Bobby Jones

A person said the Big Bertha was great off the deck, how are the rest? Thanks again
Driver: Nike 9.5° SasQuatch SUMO²
Fairway Woods: Adams 16° Tight Lies 3 Wood
Hybrids: Adams 19° Idea Pro Hybrid
Irons: Callaway X-18 4-AW (Rifle 6.0 Precision)
Wedges: TaylorMade: 56/12 Degree RAC SatinPutter: Odyssey 34" Tri-Ball SRT PutterBall: Callaway HX HOTHome...

Exactly what I was going to say. My 16* #2 TM Rescue Dual covers 190-220 yards. However, using hybrid will promote lower trajectory flight than 3 wood.

If you're not into hybrid, then try r7 Draw 3 wood. It's easy to hit! Also perhaps TM r7 steel or Burner 3 wood?
What's in the bag:
Driver: r7 SuperQuad 10.5° ~ UST Proforce V2 65g Regular
Wood: 906F4 18.5° ~ Aldila VS Proto 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60 3-PW ~ True Temper Tour Concept S3
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 252.08, SM56.10 & SM60.08Putter: Marxman Mallet 33"

I used to have problems hitting a 3 wood off the deck but after I got the Big Bertha ´07 that problem is almost solved. My hc is currently 17.1 and of course I hit a few bad shots every now and then but when I swing the Bertha properly the ball just goes and goes. Off the tee it is amazing (big head....almost like an extra driver). Golf Digest´s top pick for a 3 wood! I´m certainly not a long hitter but I can hit the ball 200 metres (about 220 yards) with this club. 2 of my friends have tried it and one is currently in the US of A buying a 2007 Big Berta 3 wood and the other is considering it after he hit it just as long off the tee as his Big Bertha 454 driver :) I know this sounds like an ad but I highly recommend this club. Very forgiving. The big head might not appeal to all but at least it doesn´t bother me as long as I keep hitting good shots. Golf on!

Driver: Smooth 9° E160 regular.
3 wood: Fast 10 15° Wasabi regular.
Hybrid: Fybrid 19.5° V2 regular.
Irons: Ci7 4-GW regular steel.
SW: CG10 56°.Putter: White Hot XG Marxman Mini 34".The rest of my set is still work in progress....

• 1 month later...
Similar dilema for me. I have a TEE CB2 3wood and it is absolutely great off the tee for narrow fairways and those times when the driver is acting up. But, it is a deep face 3W and I have difficulty hitting it off the deck. I also have an Adams Idea Pro hybrid (23*) to replace the 3 iron. Need something to fill the gap. I am leaning towards a 5 wood (Keep hearing the Bobby Jones are greeat off the deck with the low face) as opposed to a 19*-20* hybrid. I figure the 5 wood will be longer and fill the gap on long par 4s and 2nd shots on par 5s.

Thanks for all the responses guys, you guys are really quick on this forum! I wrote all the suggestions down, and will be doing some research / reading reviews on them for sure, then going to the local shop to hit them. Also, I do have a TaylorMade Rescue Mid 19 degree. I used to be able to hit it great, but due to a recent swing change and grip change, I just cannot seem to hit it anymore (atrocious hook almost every single hit) so I am thinking of desperately making the switch to fairway woods again.

I carry the Burner, I can hit it off the tee and also off the deck easily. Also I can hit it out of the rough pretty well.

Here's what I play:

Titleist 907 D2 10.5* UST ProForce V2 76-S | Titleist 906F4 18.5* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist 585H 21* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist ZB 4-PW TTDG S300 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 54.10 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.08 | Scotty Cameron Red X5 33" |

Note: This thread is 6061 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!