IGNORED

Putting from Fringe Scoring/Stats Question

Rock26
Note: This thread is 3291 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Look, there's tradeoffs with using the short grass of the green as a hard cutoff. Using "greens" literally will exclude from your putting stats putts that are probably, on average, on the long end since they're in the fringe, so it's increasing your putting stats by excluding those. I think your position is defensible, but it's not something that I'd get in a lather about if people do it differently, especially if they have a good reason for it. If a person is keeping their own stats, I suspect they're doing it to evaluate their game more honestly, and not to show off their stats. So I'd defer to them to make judgment calls like these on an ad hoc basis to make the stats as valid as possible in their minds. (I'm using the term "valid" there in the experimental sense of "making sure what you're measuring actually reflects what you're trying to measure")

But it technically isn't inceasing the putting stats by excluding those because those aren't considered putts if the ball is not on the green. If I have 18 putts in a round that is great, but most likely my GIR is going to be suffering. So by that it shows me that I need to work on my approach shots. They aren't evaluating their game more honestly because it technically isn't the correct way to do it. If anything it is the opposite of what you said...I'm not trying to show off my stats if I am doing it the correct way, but if I am doing it my own way that seems to me more like the person wants to show off their stats more than the person that is doing it the way it is supposed to be done...inflate the GIR and still have "normal" putting stats...

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

But it technically isn't inceasing the putting stats by excluding those because those aren't considered putts if the ball is not on the green. If I have 18 putts in a round that is great, but most likely my GIR is going to be suffering. So by that it shows me that I need to work on my approach shots. They aren't evaluating their game more honestly because it technically isn't the correct way to do it. If anything it is the opposite of what you said...I'm not trying to show off my stats if I am doing it the correct way, but if I am doing it my own way that seems to me more like the person wants to show off their stats more than the person that is doing it the way it is supposed to be done...inflate the GIR and still have "normal" putting stats...

You're making a putting stroke at the ball with a putter from a fairly clean lie with potentially as little as an inch or two of fringe before the ball gets on the green. If someone wants to call that a putt for statistical purposes and not lump that in with their scrambling or chipping stats, I have zero issue with that. You can have a putt from the fringe 8 feet from the hole as a missed green or a GIR and have a 50 footer to the hole. I would personally label them traditionally because as I said earlier, I don't care for putting from the fringe, so it doesn't make a difference to me regardless, but I don't think a person who does it differently is deluding themselves. I entirely understand the virtue of not dogmatically tying oneself to these rigid definitions. When, if memory serves, Mickelson hit the green, but was on the wrong side of the bunker in the middle of the green at Riviera in the LA Open, and had to flop it over, that was a GIR and a putt. If someone put that down as a missed green and a chip, I'd completely understand and think they'd have a point.

• Upvote 2

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3291 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!