IGNORED

Edel Putter or Irons

Note: This thread is 3635 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'd also lean towards the irons, however, I like the idea of going a bit cheaper on your irons and getting both. If you like the i20 or i25, maybe consider picking up a nice used set of i15s or something like that, or maybe the 710 AP1s instead of the 714s.

I agree. Irons haven't advanced that much in the past 5 years. I would look for something maybe last season or two seasons ago. You can probably get them for a fraction of their original retail. Then you can get yourself a putter that you'll never want to replace :-D

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If I were starting out and wanted to make my first golf club investment, I'd buy the IRONS.  Sure, you will grab your putter on every hole.  But, you're going to swing an iron on every hole too.  There are lots of deals available on last years models.  Do take the time to get fit at a local golf store.  That doesn't obligate you to purchase anything, but find out if your swing requires an upright or toe-down lie angle.  If you are standard, then you can get away with "off the rack" clubs.  At that point, hit everything and expand your considerations to ALL the club manufacturers.  Also, choose a make-up of clubs that fits your skill level.  Trying to hit 3 & 4 irons as a 33 handicap will make for a long day.  Consider driving irons and or hybrid's for the longer clubs.  Adam's may be a good club choice.

Also, think about your wedges.  Another personal item.  Will you add matching wedges to your new irons?  Do you like the wedges you currently have?  You probably pull out your wedges on every hole too, so think about getting wedges that you feel extremely comfortable with.

Not to place the putter at the bottom of the list, but any putter will knock the ball in the hole.  For the money you will spend on an Edel, you can get several swing lessons that will go farther in improving your score than a custom fit putter.  Before I had an Edel, I thought I was a good putter and made lots of putts per round.  It was threads here that got Edel into my head.  I'm poorer for it! There is science behind the fitting process, but players were getting it done before this was introduced.  Get a putter you like and master it before taking the leap to an Edel.

Hope this helps.  Happy shopping!

amac

Driver :tmade: R1

Fairwaywood :tmade: Rocketballz Stage 2 15*

Hybrids :ping: i15 20* and 23* Hybrids

Irons :mizuno: MP64 4 - PW

Wedges :edel: 54* and 58* 

Putter :edel: 

Golf Ball :titleist: Pro V1 

I agree. Irons haven't advanced that much in the past 5 years. I would look for something maybe last season or two seasons ago. You can probably get them for a fraction of their original retail. Then you can get yourself a putter that you'll never want to replace

I was under the impression that you couldn't get fitted for irons if they weren't the current model or the one immediately before the current model.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

I was under the impression that you couldn't get fitted for irons if they weren't the current model or the one immediately before the current model.

Probably not through the manufacturer. You could always buy the shafts after market and reshaft the irons.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

Probably not through the manufacturer. You could always buy the shafts after market and reshaft the irons.

How much are you really saving, though?  I would imagine if I got 7 irons, I'd have to get 7 reshafts and that'd run me at least $350,  no?

Christian

Probably 200-400 depending on the shaft.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Probably 200-400 depending on the shaft.

Yeah, I mean I can probably get new clubs for around $500 so not sure if I should go the route of getting irons from a couple years back and getting fitted with them to spend on shafts. Seems complicated, haha.

Christian

Note: This thread is 3635 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!