• Announcements

• iacas

Visit FlagstickRule.com   03/13/2017

Visit the site flagstickrule.com to read about and sign a petition for the USGA/R&A regarding the one terrible rule in the proposed "modernized" rules for 2019.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
foreplay

Issues with golf grip

11 posts in this topic

So, I have been browsing this forum for quite some time, but can't seem to find the answer to my question, so I have joined and now posting away.

I have short fat fingers(or at least I think I do) and am having issues with re-gripping the club at the top of my swing. I am always wearing holes in the heel pad of my gloves(no, not because I grip to high on the club). I am aware this a grip issue, but I can't seem to narrow it down to whether I need smaller grips or larger grips, or if I am just gripping the club wrong altogether. I use standard grips at the moment, but I have come to the conclusion that I may need undersized grips because my fingers are short and fat and just don't completely wrap around a standard grips. Especially with my right hand, that hand in particular tends to slide around in the backswing and obviously causes all kinds of trouble. And to add insult to injury my right index finger is shorter than the other fingers because I shattered my knuckle as a child and it just didn't grow with the others...lol

So, my question to this forum, what are your thoughts? Do i need smaller grips, larger grips, need to fix my grips or maybe you see something else? I really value any and all input and take constructive criticism well, so fire away.

Here are some images of what I am looking at:

Anybody?

My friend has hands just like you with short, fat, stubby fingers and he plays with midsize grips. I have long boney fingers, and I too play with midsize grips. Experiment with it. Go get a cheap midsize grip and slap it on a 7 iron. If you like it, you know to do all your clubs. Best answer I can give...

You seem to have a very strong grip with your dominant hand. Maybe give this a look and try it out. It might help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDNQ_hwQc3w

So, my question to this forum, what are your thoughts? Do i need smaller grips, larger grips, need to fix my grips or maybe you see something else? I really value any and all input and take constructive criticism well, so fire away.

Two things I would do with your grip.

- Get the heel pad more "on top" of the grip, it's a little on the palmy side

More on the grip stuff here, watch the first video

http://thesandtrap.com/t/73018/my-swing-shindig/18#post_986697

- Turn the right hand so that the "V" of the right hand is pointing to you right shoulder. Your "V" is pointed at your sternum.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@mvmac thank you, the videos really made the light bulb go on. I just got home from the range and was feeling quite defeated. I know my frustrations are the direct result of playing with my grip way to much. Your video was very clear as to how to grip and what you are trying to accomplish with the grip. Most videos simply tell you how to grip and forget to mention what you are trying to accomplish with the grip.

So, from what I gather, I need to get that left hand a little stronger and the right hand should also be turned a little more to my right?

Hi,I've got to say i disagree with some of these comments,on the right hand especially!! but what i will say,is watch what your doing when taking advice..there is no real set way to grip a golf club,i do agree with the heal pad always being on top of the grip.this will help the club hinge up,2nd don't go to much on v's you can still get it wrong,and with knuckles these are just reference points..they are alot of people teaching different thing's out there,butch Harmon strong grip..hank haney neutral..there's coaches that tell you to grip in the base of palm the other will say,heal pad to 1st joint of index finger..my point is find what works for you and your swing.. i will point you in the direction of nick Bradley,he wrote the 7 laws of golf!!,you might of heard of it? anyway he gives excellent advice of the how and why in this book..it gives you great pictures,for a visual image while out on the course..in my humble opinion your right hand isn't to far short of being a neutral grip!!,neutral is the place you want to start..there's also a training aid called the golf grip by treed..this goes on any club in the bag and is extremely beneficial for a neutral grip..it cost myself £15.00..but that's in the U.K.,could be different if your across the pond..good luck,and hope you get sorted..it's a silly game but a really do love it

So, from what I gather, I need to get that left hand a little stronger and the right hand should also be turned a little more to my right?

Correct, the first pad of the index finger should rest on the aft side of the grip. You was "on top" of the grip. On top being where the Golf Pride or whatever logo is.

Hi,I've got to say i disagree with some of these comments,on the right hand especially!!

but what i will say,is watch what your doing when taking advice..there is no real set way to grip a golf club,i do agree with the heal pad always being on top of the grip.this will help the club hinge up,2nd don't go to much on v's you can still get it wrong,and with knuckles these are just reference points..they are alot of people teaching different thing's out there,butch Harmon strong grip..hank haney neutral..there's coaches that tell you to grip in the base of palm the other will say,heal pad to 1st joint of index finger..my point is find what works for you and your swing..

Well the way he is gripping it now certainly won't work. Yes there are different variations of a good golf grip but there are certain commonalities among good players, whether the grip is strong or neutral.

How can you say it won't work when you haven't seen him swing? how can you see what is wrong or right from the 2D photos provided..hence me pointing him in the direction of good instruction and training aids!!

How can you say it won't work when you haven't seen him swing?

how can you see what is wrong or right from the 2D photos provided..hence me pointing him in the direction of good instruction and training aids!!

The position of the right hand isn't in a "functional" position. He's also a 16 handicap and looking for advice on why he re-grips during the swing. If his grip worked for him he wouldn't be having these issues.

How can you say it won't work when you haven't seen him swing?

how can you see what is wrong or right from the 2D photos provided..hence me pointing him in the direction of good instruction and training aids!!

His hands are conflicting. Basically the V on his left hand his pointing towards his right cheek, but his right hand is pointing left of that. I would like to see the V's pointing at the same spot, and the right can point maybe a tad more to the strong side. Conflicting hands don't work too well.

As for strong versus weak, I tend to like a stronger grip. Just my personal preference, and I think many golfers can benefit from that. If a person likes a weak grip, have at it.

Also it could work for the guy, but by his post he seems to be having trouble with the grip, so that tells us that it clearly isn't feeling right to him.

your left thumb you should be able to see like a hot dog in a bun right now it kinda looks like a corn dog, just trying to paint a visual image.