IGNORED

Ruling Question?

Red4Life
Note: This thread is 6051 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I played a round today with my brother-in-law. At a long par 3 he teed off, the ball struck the yageage board of the ladies tee (about 15 yards in front of our tee box, to the left), the ball shot back 10 yards past us about a yard into some heavy bushes. Unsure of the ruling and because we were just out for a bit of fun I told him to just rehit, no penalty. But I'm curious, in case this comes up in a competition, was that the right call??? Are the yardage markers counted as 'part of the course'???

Thanks in advance for the help...
In The Bag:
Cobra F-Speed Driver 10.5°
Cobra F-Speed 3W LD
Cobra Baffler 2 19°
Cobra Baffler 4 23°PING G5 5-WPING Tour 52°PING Tour 58°PING i5 PutterBushnell V2 Rangefinder

I played a round today with my brother-in-law. At a long par 3 he teed off, the ball struck the yageage board of the ladies tee (about 15 yards in front of our tee box, to the left), the ball shot back 10 yards past us about a yard into some heavy bushes. Unsure of the ruling and because we were just out for a bit of fun I told him to just rehit, no penalty. But I'm curious, in case this comes up in a competition, was that the right call??? Are the yardage markers counted as 'part of the course'???

I think it's just a rub of the green. He'd have to play the ball as it lies.

"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

• Administrator
Not the right ruling, no. Play the ball as it lies. You can bounce it off a trash can or a water cooler or a car parked on the course and you'd still have to play it where it ended up. Pros bounce balls off spectators and play it as it lies - they're not "part of the course" either.

It's almost always irrelevant if something is part of the course or not when a ball simply hits it and deflects away (exceptions include you, your equipment, your opponent, etc.) - whether something is "part of the course" only comes into play if your ball is resting on it, in it, or your stance or swing are affected (like the earlier example of a garbage can).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Or if he lost the ball in the bush it would be called a Lost ball and he would have to hit again from the tee box, not sure on which stroke he'd be on though.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

• Administrator
Or if he lost the ball in the bush it would be called a Lost ball and he would have to hit again from the tee box, not sure on which stroke he'd be on though.

1 for the shot, 1 for the lost ball, hitting three from the tee again. He could also declare it unplayable and hit again from the tee - same deal.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I may be way off base here, but I believe if the ball is declared unplayable, you'd have to take relief from the bush and play it from there with a penalty, hitting three. Re-teeing would only be an option if the ball was declared lost.

I may be way off base here, but I believe if the ball is declared unplayable, you'd have to take relief from the bush and play it from there with a penalty, hitting three. Re-teeing would only be an option if the ball was declared lost.

Yes, you ARE way off base.

Rule 28- Ball Unplayable - (a) allows the player to "Play a ball as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played".

the only thing that a few course around here have is if you strike the power lines which cross the fairways you can play the shot again with no penalty.... and its marked on there scorecard... unless otherwise stated on the card its unplayable and tee it up agin hitting 3...
Team Santa Cruz, CA......

SPONSORS......
PING
FOOTJOYPAY-PAL VISABLUE CRUSH SPORTFISHING

Thanks to everybody for the replies, I'm going to text my brother-in-law and tell him he signed an incorrect scorecard and is disqualified from our two man tournament - I win, YES

Serves him right for listening to somebody that doesn't know the rules (me ha ha ha)...

In The Bag:
Cobra F-Speed Driver 10.5°
Cobra F-Speed 3W LD
Cobra Baffler 2 19°
Cobra Baffler 4 23°PING G5 5-WPING Tour 52°PING Tour 58°PING i5 PutterBushnell V2 Rangefinder

we have power lines on one of our holes and it is declared a re-tee no penalty if the wire is hit. and you can see plenty of marks from being hit! haha.

I would agree that if the ball hits something it would be played as is, where is, as lies.

oh yeah I got DQ in a tourney for moving a 150 marker out of my way. come to find out since it affected my swing, I would have been able to take a free drop. Oh well live and learn...

Note: This thread is 6051 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!