IGNORED

My Swing (Terminalpunk)

terminalpunk
Note: This thread is 3353 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Thanks @iacas I'll certainly do that. Got enough problems and don't want to create more! I have to admit I do struggle with lining up that face square. My eyes find it hard to judge with the offset in irons. Guess I've just gotta give a go and practice it.

• 6 months later...

Hey Fine Folks of Sandtrap,

Apologies for the long delay but I have moved. Been back at the golf and practicing. Still suffering for some overdrawey and pulled shots but strike is definitely getting better. Regressed a bit and stuck in the low to mid 90s but the new course I am playing on is probably a good 400 - 500 yards longer than my previous one. Have uploaded the latest practice sesh as below, help, comments and criticism is always welcome!

• 5 weeks later...

Holla Sand Trappers,

We I've taken the next step and have started taken some lessons. My coach is teaching a conical release and more of a Mike Austin technique I think so I'm trying to move towards that and away from rolling the arms to square the club. It is still gelling and I haven't quite got the knack for it yet but I'm gonna stick at it. Some things with the swing I've noticed is that my ball flight is definitely higher which I like. I used to hit some very punchy shots all the time with some crazy divots. I can also get my hands higher which I previously thought was not possible for me physically. Here is me one the range the other day trying to get it 'in play'. Sorry for the crap portrait but I have to position my phone on a ledge. My previous cameraman quite as soon as I put a ring on her finger...go figure!

We I've taken the next step and have started taken some lessons. My coach is teaching a conical release and more of a Mike Austin technique I think so I'm trying to move towards that and away from rolling the arms to square the club.

Good to hear you are taking lessons and seeing improvement, but I feel I should let you know that Mike Austin's swing has a lot of coordination and timing elements involved in it.

I have one question, though: what is a conical release?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My apologies @billchao it is a Dan Shauger technique, it might be a Mike Austin one as well I'm not sure of the details to be honest.

This is a pretty boring vid but for 3 mins it sums up the conical action. Instead of cocking straight up like hitting a hammer with your wrists you actually set them on the target line....I suppose almost like a flip?

My apologies @billchao it is a Dan Shauger technique, it might be a Mike Austin one as well I'm not sure of the details to be honest.

This is a pretty boring vid but for 3 mins it sums up the conical action. Instead of cocking straight up like hitting a hammer with your wrists you actually set them on the target line....I suppose almost like a flip?

No need to apologize, I was just curious. Thanks for sharing the video; I'll watch it later.

I just wanted to let you know what you might be getting yourself into if you're learning a Mike Austin type of swing. He was a very gifted athlete and his technique is reflective of that.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3353 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!