IGNORED

Lie Adjustment Question

Note: This thread is 3574 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Get the 2 degree Callaway's or the 4 degree Ping's?

• Callaway
    • Ping

So if that's the case you get the 3 degree upright set and that only puts you 1 degree off (supposedly according to the fitter). Then he bends them an extra degree you have what he says you need (if he's right about that 4 degrees). Just my opinion: I have doubts that he can have somebody hit some shots on a lie board and see that the toe is hitting and know from that exactly how many degrees are needed to correct the lie angle. Usually you hit a club that has been adjusted or one like it and see if it turned out right. How does he know that 3 degrees won't do the trick and he wouldn't have to bend them at all? Here's my guess (could be way off). He has a set of standard lie clubs he wants to sell but he knows that you probably need a more upright set, and probably more than the 2 degrees he feels comfortable bending (because they can break). For some reason he doesn't order you a set with +3 upright lies and solve both problems.

Lessons for certain plus find a certified fitter of club maker when you decide to make a purchase. Right now it would seem it's the Indian creating a problem with contact. Once you find improvement then you can look into new arrows. A club fitter or maker that is certified by an independent organization instead of one that is trained and certified by the retail store is usually a better bet for getting it right. Just HMO

A few thoughts,

4 degrees is a lot. Is your wrist to floor somewhere around 38.25"? I just bought some used Pings 1 1/2 degrees too upright but I can play them without a problem. I would think that it playing irons that are too flat devastating and unmanageable.

Normally I would agree that lessons instead of clubs would be money well spent but you are not that close to standard specs.

If I were you I would check Ebay and Craigslist. You just might find a decent set in your specs. I notice that there are far more upright sets for sale than flatter lies.  Second, if you are dead set on new gear, buy Pings and get fit again because if somewhere down the road your swing changes enough to require a change in lie angle, Ping will change it free for the life of the club (not sure about lengths changed for free though). Ping just announced the G30s so expect some heavy discounts soon on the G25s.

David

So I have an update for you. Went back to Golf Galaxy and someone was right. I was getting a deal because they had a standard set they wanted to sell and I was a friend of a friend so they offered me a good value. However, I was assured that even if I ordered custom directly from Callaway to have +3 upright clubs, nobody would be able to bend the extra degree needed since it would almost guarantee to break. So I'm back to my original predicament. I'm thinking just get a relatively cheap pair and bend +3 upright and spend the rest on lessons. 1 degree for such a high handicap, like me, won't really affect my play, right?

I'm still skeptical that they know for sure you need exactly 4 degrees upright without having you hit something that's at least +3 and saw that wasn't enough.

I'm starting to think that lessons might be the way to go after all I've read. I only play once a week and do maybe 1 range visit between outings so I'm not that active. Lessons and more practice might be the way to go. Unless you guys think differently???

I am also 6'3 with 38 wrist to floor. I have been 2 degrees upright for a long time. The best I can say to my abilities is go with what is most comfortable. I know just looking at the club lay flush and square at my setup has mentally helped my swing. I used to see the toe in the ground and wonder??? Some of the other discussions on stance and posture I have read in here have been a great starting point from changing my swing and possibly effecting my lie upon impact.... 0-4 degrees really doesn't seem that much to me until you put it into perspective that wow a small blade is hitting a ball sitting still at 80-115mph.....Lots going on besides what a machine or calacultion says you need for a degree of lie. I am seriously not a good golfer but I have hit low 80s on rentals at cheap courses. so alot of it is mindset and how much your enjoying yourself. IF you get or got a smoking deal admire those beauties and whack the crap out of em.

Its not the dreams in the recesses of you mind, its the approach and how you go at it Roddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg9618n View Post

So I have an update for you. Went back to Golf Galaxy and someone was right. I was getting a deal because they had a standard set they wanted to sell and I was a friend of a friend so they offered me a good value. However, I was assured that even if I ordered custom directly from Callaway to have +3 upright clubs, nobody would be able to bend the extra degree needed since it would almost guarantee to break. So I'm back to my original predicament.

I'm thinking just get a relatively cheap pair and bend +3 upright and spend the rest on lessons. 1 degree for such a high handicap, like me, won't really affect my play, right?

I'm still skeptical that they know for sure you need exactly 4 degrees upright without having you hit something that's at least +3 and saw that wasn't enough.

Sorry, should have mentioned, when I initially went in to get fitted I did hit a 4 degree upright club and the tape showed it was perfect. But having said that, I can't say my swing is so consistent that the few hits I had with the club proved anything for certain.

Note: This thread is 3574 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!