IGNORED

I have a swing question

Crate
Note: This thread is 6084 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

At the range I have noticed two individuals that seem to hit the ball so effortlessly is uncanny. I notice that on the back swing they both had something in common. This happened at two different ranges.
The left arm remained so straight all the way back, It was still straight at the top and even went past their head and it was still straight. I try to do it and my body will not move that way. Like I'm not flexible enough or are these guys just double jointed or what? Perhaps as I get better I will learn to turn as they do buy damn I don't know how they do it.
I hope I did not start this game to late in life. I consider myself young and in sorta good shape.

A straight left arm at the top of a backswing means nothing. If it is a comfortable position for you, do it, if not, dont. All the ball knows is impact. That is where you should focus while watching these guys at the range. They may be able to bring the club back further than you, but this is something you can work on with stretching, a little time at the gym, and alot of time at the range. Remember though, that getting too long in your backswing can cause directional issues, just look at Phil Mickelson and his recent driver issues. Butch Harmon has done great work with him to shorten his backswing. The effortless power part comes from understanding the golf swing and knowing that power in the swing comes from your legs and core, not from your arms. The more you try to force the club with your arms, the tighter and slower your swing is going to become. This is a huge reason why a light grip throughout the swing is necessary for "tour" power.

Flexibility might not be your issue either. Watch them and see how much they turn their hips and torso. Most amateurs have very little movement in both of these places which in turn really inhibits their ability to coil around their spine. A good drill to practice at the range is at the top of your backswing, see if you can get your back pointed at your target without moving your head off the ball.
In My Bag
Driver: R5 TP 9.5 Diamana
3 Wood: V-Steel 15* UST V2
5 Wood: R7 Steel
Hybrids: Heavenwood 20* UST V2 Rescue Mid 22* UST V2Irons: RAC LT2 5-9 Project X FlightedWedges: RAC Black TP 47* 51* 55* 60*Putter: White Hot 2 BallBalls: One Black

Keep in mind the golfers you see w/ perfectly straight arms also have relaxed arms. If you lock the arm straight the tension spreads to many muscles in the arm limiting flexibility. Test the difference in the motion your struggling with.

I've been taugh to keep the arm as straight as possible without having tension, bending the left arm can bring inconsistancy. Some times you bend your arm a little, sometimes alot.

When you keep it straight it always straight!
Superquad 9.5 Stiff
G5 3 Wood Stiff
MP-57 3-PW
R-Series 56 Wedge
52 & 60 WedgesWH #5

So we are all on the page, my arm is straight. Very straight. It's just that it does not go as far back as the two gentlemen i saw at the range. Go figure. Guess I gotta stretch or thats just as far as my arm goes.

Hank Kuehne, who is as long as or probably longer than John Daly, has a bent left arm at the top of the swing. You should have a straight left arm at impact though.

Can't think of any now, but more than a few tour players have slightly bent left arms at the top.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If you match your breathing pattern with your swing tempo, it seems to slightly aid bringing the arm up since when you inhale your shoulders rise. I do this breathing through my nose.

Also, don't get addicted to driving ranges. It may be easier to improve and understand your swing just my working on it in front of a mirror. Work on it until you get into the position you want tension free.

[QUOTE=bwinger79;75483]A straight left arm at the top of a backswing means nothing.

It may mean nothing, but bending the left arm adds a moving part to the swing in that the arm must strighten out in the downswing and; a left arm that bends in the back swing takes a lot of the natural wrist hinge out and promotes an early relaese in the downswing as it straighens out.

At the range I have noticed two individuals that seem to hit the ball so effortlessly is uncanny. I notice that on the back swing they both had something in common. This happened at two different ranges.

The straightness of the left arm is a bit deceiving when you are looking at a person straight on as they swing. It's not really that hard to keep it straight and up to the top of the backswing as long as you are rotating your torso/shoulders along with your arms. As a drill try looking at yourself in the mirror and start off the backswing with just your arms (keeping the left arm straight) without turning your torso/shoulders. When you reach that maximum point where you can't swing your arms further start rotating your torso/shoulders only now with the straight left arm remaining still and you will see that the more you turn your torso/shoulders the shaft of your club starts to get more parallel with the ground. Note too in the mirror that your left arm appears to get more perpendicular/vertical with the ground.

This is the illusion created when someone appears to have a very straight left arm. It is all about rotating your torso/shoulders along with the arms during the backswing to make it appear that the arms are straight up over your head at the top of the backswing.

What's In my bag:

Driver: TaylorMade R5 Dual 9.5* UST Proforce V2 77g S
3Wood: Mizuno F-60 13.5* Mizuno Exsar 75S
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 3/4 Aldila VS Proto 80SIrons: Adams Pro Forged (5-PW) True Temper Black Gold SWedges: Cleveland 588 (3) 50, 588 (DSG) 54 & 60Putter: Ping i-Series Craz-EBalls:.....

A slightly bent left arm is okay. You don't want something like 30*.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It may mean nothing, but bending the left arm adds a moving part to the swing in that the arm must strighten out in the downswing and; a left arm that bends in the back swing takes a lot of the natural wrist hinge out and promotes an early relaese in the downswing as it straighens out.

I agree that it adds a moving part, but in no way alters release, nor inhibits wrist hinge. Again I will say, ALL THE BALL KNOWS IS IMPACT. That is where focus needs to be placed. There are 1000 different ways to get to impact, just look at the PGA Tour, but the constant that you will see from swing to swing is impact position. Some of the best players on tour have a slight bend to their lead arm at the top of their backswing. You gotta go with whats comfortable for you and your swing. As long as you are getting the club into proper position for impact, the rest can be your own. Look at Furyk. Thats swing cant be taught.

In My Bag
Driver: R5 TP 9.5 Diamana
3 Wood: V-Steel 15* UST V2
5 Wood: R7 Steel
Hybrids: Heavenwood 20* UST V2 Rescue Mid 22* UST V2Irons: RAC LT2 5-9 Project X FlightedWedges: RAC Black TP 47* 51* 55* 60*Putter: White Hot 2 BallBalls: One Black

I started this thread with about a question about the left arm. I would like all to know that I appreciate your posts. But my question may have misconstrued.
My left arm does not bend. My arm is very straight. It's just that when I looked at the gentleman swing, on his back swing looking at him from behind his arm went straight up BEHIND his head without bending. My range of motion will not let that happen. So I guess why we all keep are arms straight , some people can just bring it back farther than others.
Should one stretch to achieve this range of motion or bring the arm back, as far back as you can naturally good enough?

Note: This thread is 6084 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!