IGNORED

Joost Luiten

Silent
Note: This thread is 1764 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Luiten: played great today [quote]I knew I had to win my last match against Alexander Levy today, to even have a chance to win my group. For that to happen, Kevin Na did have to beat Hideki Matsuyama. Luckily, I did what I had to do. My game was right up there today, but my opponent also brought his A-game. I made four birdies in the first five holes, but that was only good enough for an All-square score. A birdie on the eight hole gave me a 1 up advantage and even though Levy did manage to level te score a couple of times, he never had the advantage. On hole ten, Levy did get back to all square and after that we halved hole twelve with birdies. On thirteen I missed a 9 feet birdie putt to take the advantage, but on fourteen I did manage to get back to 1 up. Unfortunately that was also the moment i saw Matsuyama beating Na in the match in front of us. At that moment I knew my tournament was over. I did want to win my match really bad though and because of a birdie on the last hole I managed to do so. It's a shame I won't be able to play any more matches, because my game felt great today. My iron game was outstanding and that's exactly wat used to be the problem the last couple of tournaments. My game feels good again and with taht feeling I will get ready to play The Players Championship from 7 till 10 may.[/quote]

~Jorrit

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Luiten: feeling confident for The Players

Feeling confident for The Players

I'm happy about the way I played my last match in the Cadillac Matchplay and because my game feels good I feel confident about getting a good result at The Players this week.

Last year Luiten went at T19 into the weekend, but on day three it went wrong. His game seems to get better and better and with a little bit more luck we would have seen him against McIlroy last weekend in the round of 16. Hopefully he can turn his confidence and good feeling about his game recently into a good result on this amazing tournament. Game on!

~Jorrit

I have high hopes for a good result from Luiten this tournament. He seems to get back in form again, and it's only a matter of time it will show in his results I believe. Played well against Matsuyama with a bogey free round, won against Na who is higher on the OWGR and against Levy he shot -8, again without any bogeys. Hopefully he can reach that kind of level this week.

~Jorrit

Good start from Joost today 5 holes played 5 GIR 2 birdies 3 tap in pars

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

Luiten: 'Happy I survived'

Quote:
When I arrived at TPC Sawgrass this morning I felt really bad with a severe flu. Very disappointing when you have to start in The Players, one of the biggest tournaments we play. But luckily I felt better and better after a few holes in the round. The adrenaline was stronger than the flu. From tee to green I played really good. I hardy missed a fairway and my irons were sharp. Unfortunately I didn't convert my chances on the greens. I made three 3-putts and the one on 1putted for eagle  6, the par-5, was a stupid mistake. I hit my second shot six meters from the hole. A great eagle-oppurtunity but I walked away with a par after I missed a very short putt. Frustrating but I finished very strong. On the island green on 17 I hit it to a meter and made the putt. On the difficult 18th hole I hit a 6-iron one meter from the hole again and I made the putt for a birdie-birdie finish on two very dangerous holes. That made me feel good. After the round I went to the putting-green for a short time but more important is having a good rest tonight and hopefully I will feel much beter tomorrow.

~Jorrit

T26 into the weekend, pretty solid golf yesterday shooting -2.

~Jorrit

Three birdies on the last four holes. Unfort. a double bogey at three, otherwist Luiten would have been T3 (!). Still a lot of holes left, game seems to be good.

~Jorrit

6 birdies today allready. But also 2 bogeys and a double bogey. Everytime you expect him to move inside the top 5 he shoots a bogey a moves the wrong way ;)

~Jorrit

Well, that was one very strange round. 7 birdies, at one point waiting to attack the lead even. But also a double bogey and, all on the back nine, 4 bogeys leaving his score at -1 for the day. Amazing. Feels like he could walk off at the course being in contention for the win tomorrow. Curious about his explanation about this round.

~Jorrit

This was Joost's comment this morning after a very up-and-down round.

Quote:

My 71 on Saturday was the worst possible score I could possibly make. Seven birdies in the third round of The Players and only one under. It should have been -5 at the least ...

Again I made two 3-putts and on top of that a double-bogey 5 on a par 3.

I left the course feeling very unhappy, with my current game I could have been in contention.

Han

'Looking forward to go home'

A very difficult last day at The Players

I had a decent start in my last round in The Players, but then I started to miss fairways and on TPC Sawgrass you can't afford to do that. In the end I had to sign for a disappointing 75. I hate looking for excuses, but I had no energy at all today. I had the flu earlier in the week and I was just exhausted. I kept trying, but in the end I was happy the round was over. I have spent the last three months in the USA. It was a great period in which I've learned a lot. But now I'm really looking forward to go back home to see my girlfriend, my family and my friends. I will rest a bit to get the body in the proper shape again. Then I will prepare for my next tournament, the BMW PGA Championship at Wentworth. After that I will play de Nordea Masters in Sweden.

On the Dutch version of his website he's a little bit more outspoken:

'The results after three months in USA were not what I was hoping for. Besides The Honda Classic I never player four good straight rounds, I just missed consistantly. I did learn a lot though. Playing and living in USA takes time to get used to. The PGA Tournaments are beautiful, but for me playing in Europe is less hard: In Europe when my swing doesn't feel right, I can pay on Monday before the next tournament my swing coach Phil Allen a visit. In USA that's obviously not possible, my coaches have their own agenda as well. Next time if I go to USA for a long, straight period we'll have to figure out how we're going to plan that.'

Next tournaments:

- BMW PGA Championship

- Nordea Open (Sweden, not in his original schedule)

- US Open

~Jorrit

This week Luiten plays for the first time in Europe since November 2014 (Turkish Airlines Open), at the BMW PGA Championship. Last year he finished 12th on this big tournament with a $ 5,000,000 purse.

~Jorrit

After a first rond level par. ( complains about the greens ) he just finished his second round -5. ending with 3 straight birdies.

The round included 2 bogeys also

About the greens all the players have something to say about them.......

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

Impressive round, T4 for now. Nice position going into the weekend.

~Jorrit

T11 finishing position after a good last round of -5. Not bad on this course with this kind of field. Unfort. a bad 4-holes streak (lost 5 strokes) on Saturday.

Next is a relatively small tournament on the European Tour, the Nordea Masters in Sweden, starting next week. After a week resting it's off to the US Open.

~Jorrit

Note: This thread is 1764 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!