IGNORED

Hogans Five Lessons

nyjets2806
Note: This thread is 6081 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I heard alot about this book since i started coming to this forum and alot of people seem to like. My question is that when i looked at the preface it was talking more about breaking 80 which i do regularly so would it be worth spending alot of time reading and practicing new fundamentals in the book as a high/mid 70s shooter?

Driver: Taylor Made Burner 9.5*
Woods: Callaway X 3 Wood 15*
Hybrids: Callaway X 2 Hybrid 18*
Irons: Callaway X Forged (3-9)
Wedges: Callaway X Tour 54*Wedges: Callaway Forged+ (52*, 56*)Putter: Heavy PutterBall: Callaway HX Tour

I havent read the book, but i'm willing to go out on a hunch and say you may learn a thing or two from Mr. hogan that will improve your game regardless.
HiBore XL Tour 10.5* Fujikura Speeder 652 Tour Spec X-Flex
HiBore 15* FW Aldila 70-S "Proto By You"
Hibore 2i Aldila 80-S "Proto By you"
MP-67 3-pw *Project X 6.0
MP-R Black Nickel wedges 52*-7 56*-10 60*-5 *Project X 6.0 GM2 Exchange #6 Staff Bag

yea i know itd help me at least a little but would it be enough to say take me from 5 handicap to 2 or even 0? i hope my original post didnt come off as arrogant in any way, it wasnt meant to be.

Driver: Taylor Made Burner 9.5*
Woods: Callaway X 3 Wood 15*
Hybrids: Callaway X 2 Hybrid 18*
Irons: Callaway X Forged (3-9)
Wedges: Callaway X Tour 54*Wedges: Callaway Forged+ (52*, 56*)Putter: Heavy PutterBall: Callaway HX Tour

you're only going to get to be a scratch golfer by your commitment and hard work. How many times have you not heard from pro players say "yeap i learn this from so and so, while playing at?" There is no magical book. but as stated previosly it wouldnt hurt, you're always going to learn or change something about your game, no matter how low you get your score. Alah Tiger Woods

P.S. you can always go to a Barnes & Noble and check it out for yourself, before buying it.

MP-R Black Nickel wedges 52*-7 56*-10 60*-5 *Project X 6.0 GM2 Exchange #6 Staff Bag

you're only going to get to be a scratch golfer by your commitment and hard work. How many times have you not heard from pro players say "yeap i learn this from so and so, while playing at?" There is no magical book. but as stated previosly it wouldnt hurt, you're always going to learn or change something about your game, no matter how low you get your score. Alah Tiger Woods

couldn't agree more.....

What's in my bag?

PING G5 driver......125 shipped
Ping G5 3 wood.....110 shipped
Taylormade RAC LT irons 3-PW......200 plus shippingTaylor made 2 iron......(sold)Black Callaway golf bag.....(sold)Titlist Vokey Wedge 58* 40 shippedTitlist Vokey wedge 54* 40 shippedAll For sale......If...

Once you get into the 70's, it's harder to remove those strokes. I agree about the hard work. I think that's what makes golf hard is being consistent around par. I've played with a lot of guys that can shoot around par when everything is going right, but the next day or week they shoot 80 or higher. Once you have the physical game to shoot around par, the mental game is where a lot is decided. The difference between a 72 and 76 might be a couple of mental mistakes.
I think that's what seperates Tiger from the rest. He is so much ahead in the mental part of the game.
play4him

Driver: Titleist 905R
3-Wood: Titleist 904F
Hybrid: Titleist 585 19 DegreeIrons: TitleistWedges (PW,Gap,SW,Lob): TitleistPutter: Bettinardi C04

A 5 hcp player knows the basic fundamentals.

Hogan's book is about the "Modern Fundamentals," so I don't see that you need it.

If you are a "cerebral" type of person who likes to read instruction books, then you must read it, because it is the classic instructional text.

If you are a feel player or have developed your game, which is excellent as a 5 hcp, on your own, I would say DO NOT read this or any other instruction book.

You're doing great on your own. See an instructor if you want to get some help to get down to scratch.

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I decided to buy it when I saw an interview with Nick Price after he won a tournament 5 or 6 years ago, at Colonial, I think. He talked about how he carries a copy of this book around at all times, it's all marked up with his notes and pages are bookmarked, etc. He said he referred to it all the time.

I figured if a top PGA pro was using the book regularly, it was something I had to check out. I don't know if it will be what takes you from where you are down to scratch, but I don't think it's going to hurt your game any. I'd be surprised if there aren't more scratch golfers who have read it than who haven't.

Bag: Grom
Driver: HiBore 10.5° Fuji Stiff
3W: V-Steel 15° Graphite Designs YS-6 Stiff
3h-4h: Bobby Jones Stiff
5i-PW: CG4 Steel StiffWedges: 588 DSG RTG 52°, 900 RTG 56° Low bounce, Reg. 588 RTG 60°Putter: Dead CenterBalls: Pro V1 Speed Cart V1Home Courses: Riverdale Dunes / Knolls,...

I dont know about you, i dont know your game, but for me I was self taught to play this game after my baseball career ended. I got a few tips from people here and there. It was not until i broke 80 and decided to take this game seriously and get to know my swing. Why do i do what I do. I started reading books and got prespectives and thoughts from pro's.. That may be the case for many players including PGA pro's from the past. The resources that we have today mainly via media and internet is nothing in comparison to what it was 10 years, which is why it doesnt surprise me that, Nick Price carried that book around.

So to the previous post as stated," because your a 5 hcp, the book wont help you because it teaching about fundementals and a 5hcp is expected to know the fundemental" in it's entirety of the game is an assumption and absurd. Reading the book may not only teach you but it may also build your confindence and create an assurance of your game.

I'm a 4 handicap and routinely go back and read the book just to check positions. I actually pulled it out this past weekend.

I've been a +2 and the difference has been frequency of play and practice. Those 3 or 4 strokes saved by hitting a couple more greens or getting up and down are the key and the consistency only comes from drilling in a routine and relying on it.

Driver: 9.5 905R 757 Speeder X stiff
3 Wood: 13.0 Sonartec GS Tour Red Ice 70X
Hybrid: 17.0 Sonartec MD Stiff UST IROD
Irons: 690cb 4-PW w/Rifle 6.0
Wedges: Cleveland 900 Series Gunmetal 50, 54, 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Newport 370g head

I live and die by this book, base my teaching to my students by this book, and give the majority of advice in this part of this forum based on this book. To think that Mr. Hogan would take time to write this book, only five years after his historical season in '52, I couldn't be more grateful to have the information. Needless to say, I think it is a pot of gold.

I re-read the book about a year and a half ago, and it really sparked a fire in my game. Actually I re-read Part 4 three weeks ago. I truly believe it can help any level player at any time. Once more it is incredibly easy to read.

So, yeah, give it a shot.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Note: This thread is 6081 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!