IGNORED

Woody's "Non-Putt"?

iacas
Note: This thread is 6069 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Did Woody Make an Attempt to Putt the Ball at 15 in Round 3 at the Tour Championship?

• Yes
    • No

1. Yes, a whiff is a stroke.

Whatever happened to ....... INTEGRITY! if you have none, then i guess that would explain the reason to come up with an excuse.
HiBore XL Tour 10.5* Fujikura Speeder 652 Tour Spec X-Flex
HiBore 15* FW Aldila 70-S "Proto By You"
Hibore 2i Aldila 80-S "Proto By you"
MP-67 3-pw *Project X 6.0
MP-R Black Nickel wedges 52*-7 56*-10 60*-5 *Project X 6.0 GM2 Exchange #6 Staff Bag

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched the video in slo mo and to me I vote no stroke. The key thing for me is that his stride doesn't hitch at all. If it was me and I was trying to stroke and missed, my body would stop as in what did I just do. He appears to ground the putter then slap it in.

Swing = Stacked and On Plane when possible.
In My Bag:
Driver: Ping G5 9° Alidila NV 75g Stiff
3-Wood: Nike SQ 15° Diamana Stiff (Stock)
Irons: NIKE FORGED SPLIT CAVIY (S300)Wedges: Taylormade RAC Fe2O3 (Rust) 52°/56°/60°Putter: Titleist/Cameron Newport 1.5Ball: Looking for a new...

is there a video out there of this? I missed it

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

Kind of like OJ.

Yeah but everyone knows OJ is innocent

is there a video out there of this? I missed it

There's a link to it in this thread. Or just go to youtube.com and search for it there.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

• Administrator

The poll has been running about 60/40 in favor of "Woody is a liar."

FWIW, this is the "forum topic of the week" in our most recent podcast, episode 072:
http://thesandtrap.com/podcasts/golf_talk_episode_072

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think he was doing a Tiger-Tap-In where he's frettening the ball with a big swing, making the ball feel afraid and then just taps it in.
In my bag:
Driver: : D2 8.5°
fairway wood: 906 15°
Hybrid: 585H 19°
Irons: 4-PW 695MBWedges: 52° 56° & 60° CG12Putter: Bettinardi C-Series (Carbon Steel)Ball: Pro V1x

I also added the 'actual speed' version to go along with the slower version I posted earlier.

In my staff bag
Driver: 907D2 - 9.5° - X100
3-Wood: PT13 - 13° - X300
Irons: MP-33 - 2i - PW - X300
Wedges: Vokey 54° & 58°Putter: Anser - 33" - (Face weighted)Ball: Pro V1x

After reviewing the YouTube replay, I am sure I was right the first time... that was a stroke. The putter had forward momentum on it when it hit the turf. He was flipping his wrist and the timing was off. He meant to hit it; otherwise he is an even bigger fool for swinging the putter at the ball like that NOT meaning to hit it.

SubPar

I had only seen this in slo mo as I missed the tourney. After reviewing the full speed version I am now saying that he made a stroke at the ball.

Woody's stock just went down in my book.

In My Bag:
Irons: NIKE FORGED SPLIT CAVIY (S300)Wedges: Taylormade RAC Fe2O3 (Rust) 52°/56°/60°Putter: Titleist/Cameron Newport 1.5Ball: Looking for a new...

Woody is entitlted to his position, but IMO he intended to hit that ball. I saw it in realtime and thought immediately that he had tried to hit the ball. I was unpleasantly surprised when Maltbie reported that Austin said he had carded a 5. Maybe I'm being too harsh, but Woody Austin ranks well below Sabatini today.

I'm sorry but there is absolutely no way that was NOT a stroke.

I agree 100%. It seems very obvious.

In the bag:

Callaway Big Bertha 454 9* w/ Aldila NV 65-S shaft
Callaway Big Bertha 3-Wood
Titleist DCI 981 irons Cleveland 588 60* and 64* wedgesOdyssey White Hot #5 center shafted putterBridgestone B330/Callaway HX Tour balls

I just watched the video again several times. If you notice, even in slow motion, there was absolutely NO hiccup to his walk. I think if one was planning to walk up and, in stride, stroke the ball in the hole, but stubbed it into the ground unexpectedly, your stride would be broken. Woody didn't even flinch, his balance was never upset, he immediately swung the putter back a couple inches and then stroked it into the hole, without missing a beat. I think there was no violation.

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

I just watched the video again several times. If you notice, even in slow motion, there was absolutely NO hiccup to his walk.

I agree that slo mo doesn't show a hiccup but in real time the hiccup shows up. The stutter / hiccup in the stride is his "tell" on what he's thinking IMO and in real time he has a slight stutter in his step. It's slight but it's there. Slo mo doesn't pick it up. Even how hard he leans on his putter after gives him away to some degree. I know you'll say that's just because he's angry but I think it's a sign of him trying to smooth out his mistake.

It was a stroke.

In My Bag:

I agree Diggity.

That is one tainted stroke.

WIMB
TaylorMade Burner driver 10.5* REAX Reg
TaylorMade Burner 3-wood 15* REAX Reg
Mizuno MX-23 4-PW Reg Steel
Mizuno MP Series forged wedges 52, 56, 60
Putter:  Odyssey White Hot Rossie 36" --  Ball: Snell MTB Black

• 2 weeks later...
The real lesson here is that no one should rush up and move the club toward or around the ball in such a manner as to raise the question. Also, with a lot of money on the line, such emotional malfunctions can be costly.

A week or so after Woody's "incident" a European player at the British Masters took a swipe at a ball an inch from the hole and wiffed it.

SubPar

• 4 weeks later...
I don't understand who actually makes the"call" .Woody says he did not intend to make a stroke,but was stopping himself from doing so;or falling down;whatever he says,IT is taken as a done deal.settled,kaput. BUT Phil M. has deemed his ball as lost( anyone remember this??) only to be told that a ''paying outside agency' finds it so guess what?sorry P.M.your "call" has been revoked.do not pass go, .......Cheers Flash

• Administrator
I don't understand who actually makes the"call" .Woody says he did not intend to make a stroke,but was stopping himself from doing so;or falling down;whatever he says,IT is taken as a done deal.settled,kaput. BUT Phil M. has deemed his ball as lost( anyone remember this??) only to be told that a ''paying outside agency' finds it so guess what?sorry P.M.your "call" has been revoked.do not pass go, .......Cheers Flash

A lost ball is not a matter of integrity, but of fact.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 6069 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!