IGNORED

Jeans, Golf Courses, and Father-in-laws

Roody
Note: This thread is 6065 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think all you have to do is tell him you goofed and get him some golf balls. He should also admit that it was pretty lame to show up in jeans. I would ask him "what were you thinking?"

I completely agree with gbk56.

Bag: Grom
Driver: HiBore 10.5° Fuji Stiff
3W: V-Steel 15° Graphite Designs YS-6 Stiff
3h-4h: Bobby Jones Stiff
5i-PW: CG4 Steel StiffWedges: 588 DSG RTG 52°, 900 RTG 56° Low bounce, Reg. 588 RTG 60°Putter: Dead CenterBalls: Pro V1 Speed Cart V1Home Courses: Riverdale Dunes / Knolls,...

I wouldn't ask him "What were you thinking?"....even though I'm sure that's what YOU are thinking! I agree, no jeans....particularly on the recently "converted" from private course.

I have worn jeans maybe twice in the winter, although I don't condone it....it was a very, very public/municpal course.

I would just drop it with Father-in-Law. Let it go. You probably should have at least offered to leave (not play) when he got the boot.....and hopefully he would've said for you to go on.

You probably are in the proverbial dog house with the wife. Flowers are good. Your father-in-law shouldn't hold a grudge like a woman might.

Note-to-self....may want to check with Pops to see what he's planning on wearing next time!! :)
In My Datrek Bag:

Driver: R9-460 9.5°
Woods: Burner 15°
Hybrids: Burner 3,4,5Irons: G10 Gap - 5 ironWedges: cg15: chrome, 56° 60°Putter: Studio Newport 2GPS Unit: Push Cart: 2.0

OK, after all this talk tell us what the wife and father-in-law had to say about this.

His punishment....he's banned from The Sand Trap and playing or

practicing golf for a month!! Just Kidding!!! Yes, we'd like to know how everyone reacted! P.S. My bride doesn't know about The Sand Trap...but she is tired of watching golf and the Golf Channel!!
In My Datrek Bag:

Hybrids: Burner 3,4,5Irons: G10 Gap - 5 ironWedges: cg15: chrome, 56° 60°Putter: Studio Newport 2GPS Unit: Push Cart: 2.0

How do ya'll play in jeans? I can't play in them. Too restrictive!

My Sticks:
DriverFT-5 9.5° Tour Accuflex Creation 65g Stiff -or-
:R7 Superquad Redboard Stiff
Woods::TEE CB2 Accuflex Creation 80g stiff
Irons:755 cb 4-SWWedges: CG10 Black Pearl 52,56,60Putter::Seemore Black FGP 34.25"

OK, after all this talk tell us what the wife and father-in-law had to say about this.

The wife wasn't upset at all. The first question out of her mouth was "why was my dad wearing jeans?" and then she rolled her eyes. I told her that "I probably should have left with him - and if we had rode together I would have HAD to leave with him and this wouldn't be an issue". She just told me that she sees my side of the story, and not to lose sleep over it.

As for the father-in-law, I talked to him on the phone shortly after the round. He was ready to send them a nasty email, but then I told him about the free golf. That got him to re-think his idea to send the nasty-gram. He then mentioned that "if it were you, I would have left the course with you" which of course made me feel like crap. I apologized to him, but then made quick mention that my approach is that I dress in appropriate golf attire no matter the quality of the course. He said "well that's you, us old guys do this all the time" and then he proceeeded to rattle off 5 golf courses he's played in jeans at. I just shrugged and said "but those are other courses, this is a semi-private course" I slept on it, and the next morning I gave him another call and told him I apologized for not leaving with him, that I had no excuse for it, and that I wasn't thinking properly. Even though I don't agree with what he did, the important theme of the day should have been that we got out to play golf together. We should have tried to find another course in the area that would have let us on. He merely told me that he hadn't even thought twice about it. He also mentioned that he shouldn't have worn the jeans, so he ended up apologizing to me for that. So all is good. I think we're gonna use the free round this coming weekend. I'm gonna make sure he wears Dockers even though that course changed the rule because of him. Better to be safe than sorry.
"The only thing in my bag that works is the bug spray."

In My Bag:
Big Bertha 454 Titanium (10º)
Big Bertha Fairway Woods Ping G2 HL (Black Dot) Ping M/B (56º & 52º) Mizuno MP-R Series (60º) Odyssey Black Series i #7

How do ya'll play in jeans? I can't play in them. Too restrictive!

They weren't 501s! A little baggier than that....but I agree...don't like it.

In My Datrek Bag:

What are the odds he says something to the staff about it (how he was right)???

Have fun and make the best of it!

Good thing your wife was cool about it!!!

In My Datrek Bag:

I liked this thread, except for the NY golf course talk etc. I was reading it a bit like a non fiction short story and was also interested in the wife's comments.

I totally have played without him just as you did. The finding another course thing was a good hindsight thing, or even attempting that. Sounds like you went about it pretty balanced.

Swing = Stacked and On Plane when possible.
In My Bag:
Driver: Ping G5 9° Alidila NV 75g Stiff
3-Wood: Nike SQ 15° Diamana Stiff (Stock)
Irons: NIKE FORGED SPLIT CAVIY (S300)Wedges: Taylormade RAC Fe2O3 (Rust) 52°/56°/60°Putter: Titleist/Cameron Newport 1.5Ball: Looking for a new...

I wish some courses allowed the mock-turtle neck (non-collared) golf shirts on courses. If pros and Tiger get to play in the pros without collared shirts, why not allow regular golfers to play in the same golf shirts the pros wear as well?
In my Viper by Hippo Golf stand bag:
Driver: Cleveland HiBore 10.5° Fujikara reg. flex
Woods: 3- MacGregor NVG2 Fujikara reg. flex
Hybrids: 3 & 4-Taylor Made Rescue Mid
Irons: Titleist 775.cb w/Graphite Shafts (5-GW)Wedges: Cleveland 588 Tour Action SW & 60° lob Putter: Taylor Made Monza...

Some people may not agree with me but i hate the fact that people wear jeans on golf courses. Golf should not be played in denim clothes and sports clothes. If the golf course wants to be respected there should be a dress code. If there is a dress code, no casual people that do not care about the game play at the course. If people also wear the correct clothes, it also shows that the people are making an effort to play the game as it should be played. Just think if jeans were played on tour

Some people may not agree with me but i hate the fact that people wear jeans on golf courses. Golf should not be played in denim clothes and sports clothes. If the golf course wants to be respected there should be a dress code. If there is a dress code, no casual people that do not care about the game play at the course. If people also wear the correct clothes, it also shows that the people are making an effort to play the game as it should be played. Just think if jeans were played on tour

Sorry, the clothes do NOT make the golfer. I've seen impeccably dressed players who can't even understand that that gimmes only apply in match play not in stroke play. Yet I know golfers who play in bib overalls who would call a penalty on themselves even if nobody was watching. Clothes have nothing to do with ability or integrity... nothing at all.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I wish some courses allowed the mock-turtle neck (non-collared) golf shirts on courses. If pros and Tiger get to play in the pros without collared shirts, why not allow regular golfers to play in the same golf shirts the pros wear as well?

I'm surprised you've had a problem with this. So far I've encountered no courses that have had a problem with the mock turtleneck shirts.

"The only thing in my bag that works is the bug spray."

In My Bag:
Big Bertha 454 Titanium (10º)
Big Bertha Fairway Woods Ping G2 HL (Black Dot) Ping M/B (56º & 52º) Mizuno MP-R Series (60º) Odyssey Black Series i #7

I have no problem with any golf courses dress policy. If they say no jeans than no jeans. If your not sure what the policy is call them.

R7 9.5 S Shaft
560 R7 quad R shaft
RAC LT irons
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum

Note: This thread is 6065 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!