IGNORED

Stopping the blowout holes

moe63
Note: This thread is 3450 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Might be an OK strategy in the short term but the ceiling is pretty low with that strategy. FIR is hugely overrated as a stat. Nice to have but never at the sacrifice of a GIR. GIR lead to lower scores, FIR (by themselves) do not UNLESS they are bumping up your GIR% which ain't gonna happen if you're acheiving your FIR by laying up.

As I said at the star,t this was an experiment and one worth investigating. Knowing what your clubs can offer on the course in a variety of situations is always a benefit is really interesting. How many people walk to a par 4 and reach immediately for driver? Closer is not always better, as we see on Tour, the pro's will club back if the risk is not worth the reward (hitting 9iron instead of 3/4 wedge may be easier to get close, especially to an elevated green). Sometimes winning a match is not always about being the flashiest golfer, and knowing how to get the job done with your skill set is what will serve you best. My move to a course ranked in top 20 in Australia has seen me go from a 10hcp to 19 and now after 14 months back to 13 after last weekend. I can hit the long ball what I have had trouble with is scoring, hence the post, there is no where to hide, nowhere to hit back from the next fairway and no water so you just have to keep it straight. I love it! a true test of character. Your ceiling is your ceiling, if that means a 5 iron of the tee when the driver won't work then so be it but Tiger can win a British Open with a 3 wood then maybe it's something we all should think about. Not every hole though I love my Bigdog..

Gidday everyone,

This is my first post for a while so bare with me. I have been sitting around the14 handicap range for the past couple of years and have been frustrated by ruining great rounds with big numbers on 1 or 2 holes, EG: podium finishes in consecutive monthly medal's recently with 9 and 10 on the card respectively.

My course is a group 1 course in Newcastle Australia and is quite penal on way-wood drives and big numbers happen easily if you loose your head. So, this brings me to my point. I went out for a practice round this afternoon to do an experiment that I think everyone should try. To play a 5iron off the tee on every par 4&5!

I hit my 5iron around 170m and was amazed when I walked off after 9 holes shooting 2 over off the stick with very little drama. I didn't try and hit the longer par 4's in 2, just laying up in front and got up and down on most and even birdied one of the par 5's with a dead stick PW and parred the other one. I didn't even look like getting in trouble. 38 is my lowest 9 holes ever.

So what am I saying, well I guess I've had a holy crap moment and having my wife say 'Really that's nice dear', I needed to share with someone that gives a hoot! Now I'm not saying I'm selling my driver and buying a pencil bag and only carry 5 clubs. But maybe the big dog is not the club of choice on every hole and long irons into elevated greens maybe are shots best left to the low markers even on the par 4's.

Now I just have to deal with my ego on Saturday and the crap I will cop from my buddies for hitting rescue on a par 5 and laying up on those long par 4's.

Anyway thanks for listening, love to hear your thoughts.

Cheers

Wow.You thought of something I just thought of weeks ago after having too many doubles,triples when all I needed to do was shoot around 82 in multi day tourney.I had this idea of making a longer course play shorter by cutting 20-30 yards off each hole by laying up short of hole.Takes pressure off of trying to hit green and the usual trouble around it.Keep the ball just short of green in fairway and just chip on and at worst 2 putt for a bogey.Some holes you should chip close enough to make a few 1 putts and at worst shoot probably 85.This year I decided to get more long iron practice by teeing off with a 4 iron every hole and lord behold I shot a 73 on a 6000 yard par 70 course.

Note: This thread is 3450 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!