IGNORED

Interlock Putting Grip Help?

Note: This thread is 3451 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Not sure, you could feel like you do and actually not be decelerating too much at all.

True. And if you look at the graphs posted of swing speeds, you are actually supposed to decelerate after contact? Or that is how I understand it. But then that drill is not completely correct? You should be stopping before te last coin to have a "Good" swing. How far would you say should I put the coins from eachother? Have done it with about 2 putterhead lengths between each.

Driver: Cobra Amp Cell-S - 10.5°
Woods: Cobra F-Speed 3 Wood - 15.5°
Hybrids: Cobra Amp Cell 2/3 Hybrid - 16°-19°
Irons: Mizuno MX-15 - 4-PW
Wedges: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled - 52°/8°, Titleist Vokey SM4 - 54°/8°, Titleist Vokey Oil Can - 58°/8°
Putter: Odyssey White Ice #1

Proud member of the "Breaking Bad Club"!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Originally Posted by saevel25

Not sure, you could feel like you do and actually not be decelerating too much at all.

True. And if you look at the graphs posted of swing speeds, you are actually supposed to decelerate after contact? Or that is how I understand it. But then that drill is not completely correct? You should be stopping before te last coin to have a "Good" swing.

How far would you say should I put the coins from eachother? Have done it with about 2 putterhead lengths between each.

What you are trying to avoid is consciously accelerating or decelerating.  Let the club do the work.  Don't get too confused about the terms.  The best putting strokes don't try to hit through the ball.  They let the pendulum of the swing do the work.   This leads to more consistency in distance control.  I don't think about my stroke.  I don't even take a practice stroke very often.  I just look at the distance and slope.

Definition of terms: Remember velocity is a vector and has both speed and direction.  Acceleration is a "change in velocity", so a change in speed or direction is acceleration.  Because you are putting in a circle, and the ball is just passed the bottom of that circle, the club head is losing speed because it is past the bottom part of the pendulum arc.  Technically, the velocity vector is always changing everywhere in the putting stroke because it is always changing direction and/or speed.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

What you are trying to avoid is [U]consciously[/U] accelerating or decelerating.  Let the club do the work.  Don't get too confused about the terms.  The best putting strokes don't try to hit through the ball.  They let the pendulum of the swing do the work.   This leads to more consistency in distance control.  I don't think about my stroke.  I don't even take a practice stroke very often.  I just look at the distance and slope. [SPOILER=Physics] Definition of terms: Remember velocity is a vector and has both speed and direction.  Acceleration is a "change in velocity", so a change in speed or direction is acceleration.  Because you are putting in a circle, and the ball is just passed the bottom of that circle, the club head is losing speed because it is past the bottom part of the pendulum arc.  Technically, the velocity vector is always changing everywhere in the putting stroke because it is always changing direction and/or speed. [/SPOILER]

I see. And looking at the pendulum movement, when you hit the ball, it should not have to much of an influende in clubhead speed. But that is going into too much detail! So I'll just go with what you guys say! Let the gravity do the work!

Wedges: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled - 52°/8°, Titleist Vokey SM4 - 54°/8°, Titleist Vokey Oil Can - 58°/8°

• Administrator

I see. And looking at the pendulum movement, when you hit the ball, it should not have to much of an influende in clubhead speed. But that is going into too much detail! So I'll just go with what you guys say! Let the gravity do the work!

It does, and that drop is reflected in the graphs.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

It does, and that drop is reflected in the graphs.

I do see the drop, but since you said the graphs are not on scale, how much is that drop truely? And if there is such a big drop, shouldn't your through-swing be shorter than your backswing by atleast a noticable amount?

• Administrator

I do see the drop, but since you said the graphs are not on scale, how much is that drop truely? And if there is such a big drop, shouldn't your through-swing be shorter than your backswing by atleast a noticable amount?

Actual graphs here: http://thesandtrap.com/t/74295/putting-do-not-accelerate-through-the-ball/216#post_1051932

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Actual graphs here: [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/t/74295/putting-do-not-accelerate-through-the-ball/216#post_1051932]http://thesandtrap.com/t/74295/putting-do-not-accelerate-through-the-ball/216#post_1051932[/URL]

That thread blows my mind! Great read! Tried some shorter lag putts in my house, getting 90%+ of my 6m (20 foot?) putts within 1m (3 foot) of my intended target. I know greens will be different, but I should be able to adjust quickly though?

Note: This thread is 3451 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!