IGNORED

Sergio Garcia

golfbarefoot
Note: This thread is 5720 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What is the deal with Sergio? It is widely accepted around the tour with players and caddies that Sergio is the best ballstriker on Tour, however, he never seems to win. I know Tiger takes an awful lot of them, but even when Woods isn't factor, Sergio just doesn't get it done. He is a fine putter and always has been or he would not have won all those tournaments and the British Amateur. Somewhere along the way he lost confidence and struggles to roll the rock consistently. I think he hits so many GIR's, but not converting the hole eventually became smaller and smaller..and even still now for him...I have followed lots of players in tournaments and seriously, the guy has unbelievable talent and even to me is hands down the best ball striker I have even seen besides Woods. But as we all know, Golf is made of many parts and the mental part is what Garcia is lacking, not so much the putting.

People give him way too bad of rep for petty crap..I mean He whines a bit in press conferences, and needs to just take the knocks, but man..I am seriously starting to wonder if he has what it takes to win Majors???

What are you guys thoughts??

If he keeps dressing like that, no he wont.. I luv it yesterday when what's his name said, yea Sergio is doing great, it looks like he's almost there to break out and win some majors. and Nick Faldo replies.... "or he's getting ready to caddie at Augusta" LOL.. that was too funny. The kid was wearing all white with a green cap...

HiBore XL Tour 10.5* Fujikura Speeder 652 Tour Spec X-Flex
HiBore 15* FW Aldila 70-S "Proto By You"
Hibore 2i Aldila 80-S "Proto By you"
MP-67 3-pw *Project X 6.0
MP-R Black Nickel wedges 52*-7 56*-10 60*-5 *Project X 6.0 GM2 Exchange #6 Staff Bag

haha, thats hilarious....i was at the tour championship and told my friend the exact same thing about the master's caddy outfit

watching these guys hit the ball was unreal

He's won more than many players have in the Tiger era. 6 on the PGA Tour, 6 on the European Tour, and 4 others. He hasn't won lately, and he isn't approaching Phil or Vijay in career wins (or in age) either.

I believe a lot of professional - and top amateur - winning comes with maturity. I don't mean this as a jab at Garcia in particular (although many will make the maturity jab); I do mean there's a reason I keep hearing that many pros peak in their 30s. Garcia won't be 30 for a few years. If he matures the way many others his age do at that time, we may yet see him really pull it out and be a force to be reckoned with.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Tremendous amount of talent. If he gets the putting improved he should win at least a couple majors, and he is still pretty young.

Driver: Taylor Made  Rocketballz Stage 2
3 wood: Rocketballz Stage 2
4 wood: Rocketballz Stage 2
Hybrids: Cleveland 20 and 23.5 degree
Irons: Mizuno MP57 5-7, Mizuno MP62 8-9 Wedges: Mizuno MP62 Pitching Wedge, 49 degree,  Titleist Vokey SM4  55.13 (bent from 56.14) Sand Wedge, Titleist Vokey SM4 60.10 Lob wedge

I remember watching Ledbetter on Golf Channel when Sergio first came out.

He said he didn't like the "slashing" type swing --led to inconsistency. I think the "big muscle" swingers will always be more consistent.

> He is a fine putter and always has been

Um... no. Just look at the stats.

In my bag:

Driver Cleveland Classic 310 Tour 10.5°  Miyazaki Kusala 61 Black Reg
Fairway Wood Cleveland Launcher FL 3/15° Miyazaki C.Kua 43 Reg
Hybrids Cleveland Mashie 3/20.5° & 4/23° Miyazaki C.Kua 43 Reg

Irons Wilson Ci9 5-6-7-8-9-PW-GW FST ss105 Reg 

Wedges Vokey SM 56.14

Putter GEL Ruby 34"

Balls Callaway HX Bite, Wilson Staff FG Tour

a few years ago he was dead last on tour in putting, I believe he's listed at 14th this year. So there's been a clear improvement in his putting but I'm just not sure whats keeping him from the winners cirlce. clearly one of the best ball strikers on tour but it seems as if he can't put all of the elements together when he needs to. i'm not sure what he shot in the final round but i think it was either even or one under and he drove the ball horribly. he pulled some amazing shots from the woods and under limbs to save that score. he's a great players hands down, i followed him for a while at the deutsche and it was amazing, really showed me a lot

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

Best ballstriker on the tour? That's a bold statement. He's 112th in the Ball Striking (total driving and GIR rank) right now.

Anyway, the last two posts hit it on the head...he's not a good putter (anymore). His switch to the belly putter helped him at the Open, but he still couldn't close the deal.

Driver: R7 SuperQuad TP 9.5° Fujikura Rombax 6X07
Hybrid: Rescue TP 19°

Orlimar3wood: Hip-Steel 15° (oldie but goodie)Irons: Ping i10 [4-GW] DG X-100Wedges: Ping Tour-W [54° & 58°] DG X-100Putter: i-Series Piper HBalls: B330-S or e5+

He is making good putts consistantly. He should learn to read the greens a little better aswell. And work on his strategy maybe.
In my bag:
Driver: : D2 8.5°
fairway wood: 906 15°
Hybrid: 585H 19°
Irons: 4-PW 695MBWedges: 52° 56° & 60° CG12Putter: Bettinardi C-Series (Carbon Steel)Ball: Pro V1x

• 1 year later...
What is the deal with Sergio? It is widely accepted around the tour with players and caddies that Sergio is the best ballstriker on Tour, however, he never seems to win. I know Tiger takes an awful lot of them, but even when Woods isn't factor, Sergio just doesn't get it done. He is a fine putter and always has been or he would not have won all those tournaments and the British Amateur. Somewhere along the way he lost confidence and struggles to roll the rock consistently. I think he hits so many GIR's, but not converting the hole eventually became smaller and smaller..and even still now for him...I have followed lots of players in tournaments and seriously, the guy has unbelievable talent and even to me is hands down the best ball striker I have even seen besides Woods. But as we all know, Golf is made of many parts and the mental part is what Garcia is lacking, not so much the putting.

Update. During the last 15 months, Garcia is now 1-5 when it comes to playoffs or final-day pairings: L The Open '07 W The Players Championship '08 L PGA Championship '08 L The Barclays '08 L The Ryder Cup (Singles) '08 L The Tour Championship '08 Is it me being too harsh or is he having trouble closing he deal? (and the last five of those are Wood-less)
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Note: This thread is 5720 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!