IGNORED

being able to hit it both ways.

owens251109
Note: This thread is 3457 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Forget the fade or the draw and just try to hit the ball straight.You can play for your ball to go one way or the other but to me I prefer to try and hit it straight therefore my miss to the left or right will be less.I have seen a lot of long hitters hitting irons trying to play a draw mostly and when it doesnt draw they are in the junk.I told an instructor my theory and he told me well then they don't have too good of control over there swing.Well as amateurs I don't see too many that do have that much control.Ive seen the pros playing a fade or draw and there are times where its the same thing,it doesn't fade or fades too much and they are in the thick or worse.I can understand the pros playing those shots but for amateurs especially ones not really low handicapped id say try to hit the ball as straight as you can unless the shot has to be drewor faded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aflighter View Post

Forget the fade or the draw and just try to hit the ball straight.You can play for your ball to go one way or the other but to me I prefer to try and hit it straight therefore my miss to the left or right will be less.I have seen a lot of long hitters hitting irons trying to play a draw mostly and when it doesnt draw they are in the junk.I told an instructor my theory and he told me well then they don't have too good of control over there swing.Well as amateurs I don't see too many that do have that much control.Ive seen the pros playing a fade or draw and there are times where its the same thing,it doesn't fade or fades too much and they are in the thick or worse.I can understand the pros playing those shots but for amateurs especially ones not really low handicapped id say try to hit the ball as straight as you can unless the shot has to be drewor faded.

I think that you are assuming that "working the ball" or a "draw" or "fade" means a lot of curve, because you say:

Quote:
I have seen a lot of long hitters hitting irons trying to play a draw mostly and when it doesnt draw they are in the junk.

A solid pattern - either direction - shouldn't curve that much.  It certainly shouldn't curve so much that your start line is "in the junk."  Your "shot cone" should all fit into a safe zone.  Meaning, if you play a draw, your starting direction shouldn't have to be anymore than a couple of yards right of the center of the green while your target isn't more than a couple of yards left of the center of the green.

Also consider that if you're trying to play a straight shot, your misses will be more unpredictable (some will go left and some will go right) and since you are trying for straight, then that means you are aiming to start the ball DIRECTLY at your target.  Consequently, on anything less that a perfect shot, even your really, really good ones, the ball will curve AWAY from your target.

If you play a consistent pattern, OTOH, then your perfect shots AND your great shots AND even some of your good shots will be curving some amount TOWARDS the target.

Intentionally trying to play it dead straight, and thus ignoring your tendencies, is a mistake.

• Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think that you are assuming that "working the ball" or a "draw" or "fade" means a lot of curve, because you say:

A solid pattern - either direction - shouldn't curve that much.  It certainly shouldn't curve so much that your start line is "in the junk."  Your "shot cone" should all fit into a safe zone.  Meaning, if you play a draw, your starting direction shouldn't have to be anymore than a couple of yards right of the center of the green while your target isn't more than a couple of yards left of the center of the green.

Also consider that if you're trying to play a straight shot, your misses will be more unpredictable (some will go left and some will go right) and since you are trying for straight, then that means you are aiming to start the ball DIRECTLY at your target.  Consequently, on anything less that a perfect shot, even you're really, really good ones, the ball will curve AWAY from your target.

If you play a consistent pattern, OTOH, then your perfect shots AND your great shots AND even some of your good shots will be curving some amount TOWARDS the target.

Intentionally trying to play it dead straight, and thus ignoring your tendencies, is a mistake.

Wel I was going to post a response but yours was better so Im just going to say WHAT HE SAID ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3457 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!