IGNORED

Diary of a bogey golfer with his 1st custom fit clubs

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 3177 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I consistent have topping issues with my woods off the deck so I'll certainly try and bring this thought next time I can hit some balls. I wonder what percentage of golfers have suffered from regularly topping the ball from the deck with their woods.

i think youll find that the topping is likely from not getting your weight forward.  the clubhead is on its way back up by the time it gets to the ball and you top it.

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by colin007

Quote:

Originally Posted by RFKFREAK

I consistent have topping issues with my woods off the deck so I'll certainly try and bring this thought next time I can hit some balls. I wonder what percentage of golfers have suffered from regularly topping the ball from the deck with their woods.

i think youll find that the topping is likely from not getting your weight forward.  the clubhead is on its way back up by the time it gets to the ball and you top it.

I suspect that also.   My weight move is weak and that is one of the swing changes I am working on.   During the improvement spurt, number and severity of topped shots have gone down too.  Instead, I got a lot of low trajectory screamers.   The results weren't bad as they rolled forever on fairway.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

[quote name="rkim291968" url="/t/78501/diary-of-a-bogey-golfer-with-his-1st-custom-fit-clubs/0_100#post_1112046"] I suspect that also.   My weight move is weak and that is one of the swing changes I am working on.   During the improvement spurt, number and severity of topped shots have gone down too.  Instead, I got a lot of low trajectory screamers.   The results weren't bad as they rolled forever on fairway.   [/quote] Maybe. A bit OT but... I think next time I'm at the range (if this snow ever melts) I'm going to record myself hitting my 3W and post it in my thread if I top one.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Maybe.

A bit OT but...

I think next time I'm at the range (if this snow ever melts) I'm going to record myself hitting my 3W and post it in my thread if I top one.

remember that the weight must go more forward with woods and drivers than it does for irons.  wider stance, ball position, etc.

Colin P.

remember that the weight must go more forward with woods and drivers than it does for irons.  wider stance, ball position, etc.

Hrm, didn't realize that. Look at the flipapotamus giving me some insight! ;)

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Hrm, didn't realize that. Look at the flipapotamus giving me some insight! ;)

I know very little, but what I know, I know. :-)

Colin P.

Quote:

Maybe.

A bit OT but...

I think next time I'm at the range (if this snow ever melts) I'm going to record myself hitting my 3W and post it in my thread if I top one.

It turned out, in my case, there was a simple explanation.   I made swing change/improvement with irons as all instructions and drills were done with various irons but not with hybrids & 3W.   Once I start applying the same drills with hybrids & 3W, I started making solid impact.  Even with misbehaving hybrids and playing the 4 courses (Bandon Dunes last week) I never played before, HI continues to drop.  It is down to 20.3 (from 23+ just a month ago) and will most likely go down further.   Lessons + better clubs + golf workout = improve in HI.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin007

Quote:

Maybe.

A bit OT but...

It turned out, in my case, there was a simple explanation.   I made swing change/improvement with irons as all instructions and drills were done with various irons but not with hybrids & 3W.   Once I start applying the same drills with hybrids & 3W, I started making solid impact.  Even with misbehaving hybrids and playing the 4 courses (Bandon Dunes last week) I never played before, HI continues to drop.  It is down to 20.3 (from 23+ just a month ago) and will most likely go down further.   Lessons + better fitted clubs + golf workout = improve in HI.

Fixed that. Also, great work on your game. I look forward to our planned match sometime. We might not need to give each other any strokes and play straight up by the time we play it. :-)

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

It turned out, in my case, there was a simple explanation.   I made swing change/improvement with irons as all instructions and drills were done with various irons but not with hybrids & 3W.   Once I start applying the same drills with hybrids & 3W, I started making solid impact.  Even with misbehaving hybrids and playing the 4 courses (Bandon Dunes last week) I never played before, HI continues to drop.  It is down to 20.3 (from 23+ just a month ago) and will most likely go down further.   Lessons + better clubs + golf workout = improve in HI.

Bandon Dunes? How did you like it? I hear it is a wonderful experience. (How were the caddies?)

Now that your HI is coming down, you need to go to the tab "My Profile" and then "Edit Community Profile" and update your handicap. Your progress is is very encouraging in such a short period of time. :dance:

Congratulations!

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkim291968

Bandon Dunes? How did you like it? I hear it is a wonderful experience. (How were the caddies?)

Now that your HI is coming down, you need to go to the tab "My Profile" and then "Edit Community Profile" and update your handicap. Your progress is is very encouraging in such a short period of time.

Congratulations!

Thanks!  I will update my HI once it goes under 20 (very soon, I hope).

I liked the Bandon experience a lot.   We are definitely going back.   I played Spy Glass, Spanish Bay, and Pebble Beach before.   The Bandon courses are comparable (if not better) to them at a fraction of price.

Good caddy service is a must.  I had the same "group" caddy for 4 days.  He was knowledgeable and friendly.   Without him, I would not have averaged 96 strokes on difficult course & condition (windy).  Without a good caddy service, my caddy told me that even a single handicap golfer can shoot over 100 and I believe him.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Handicap index is 19.5 after an 84 round today.  84 is the best score in the last 13 months of playing over 120 rounds.   19.5 is full 2 points lower than before I started with new fitted clubs, golf workout routine, and swing lessons.

Getting my HI down to 16 is one of my 2015 golf goals.  I can get it down to 17 if I am not already playing at that level.   Getting it down to 16 will be tougher and may take a few more golf lessons.

I may get an EDEL custom fit putter before FREAK does.  It may shave a 0.5 point off my HI, who knows. :-)

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Handicap index is 19.5 after an 84 round today.  84 is the best score in the last 13 months of playing over 120 rounds.   19.5 is full 2 points lower than before I started with new fitted clubs, golf workout routine, and swing lessons.  Getting my HI down to 16 is one of my 2015 golf goals.  I can get it down to 17 if I am not already playing at that level.   Getting it down to 16 will be tougher and may take a few more golf lessons.   I may get an EDEL custom fit putter before FREAK does.  It may shave a 0.5 point off my HI, who knows.  :-)

Nice! The main thing is for you to get ready to give me a tour of Nor Cal courses later this spring! :-)

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Quote:

Handicap index is 19.5 after an 84 round today.  84 is the best score in the last 13 months of playing over 120 rounds.   19.5 is full 2 points lower than before I started with new fitted clubs, golf workout routine, and swing lessons.

Getting my HI down to 16 is one of my 2015 golf goals.  I can get it down to 17 if I am not already playing at that level.   Getting it down to 16 will be tougher and may take a few more golf lessons.

I may get an EDEL custom fit putter before FREAK does.  It may shave a 0.5 point off my HI, who knows.

Nice! The main thing is for you to get ready to give me a tour of Nor Cal courses later this spring!

Lunch is on me if you want to join us on Sat or Sun outing at my home course.   That may take a sting out of the green fee a bit ;-) .   PM me if you are serious about a free lunch. :-)

I was looking at my last 20 scores.   I have 8 more soft scores to beat with my current level of playing.  When the 8 rounds are played in next 4 weeks, my HI may go down to 17.   Golf is fun again.

• Upvote 1

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I may get an EDEL custom fit putter before FREAK does.  It may shave a 0.5 point off my HI, who knows.

Congratulations on on getting your handicap under 20! :dance: I know you gotta feel good. And, if you keep shooting those 84's your index will be under 15 in in time at all.

It's always fun to get a new club. I hope you find a model that works for you. I've tried well over 20 putters in the last 40+ years, but I keep coming back to my Ping B60. But, you know, I won't ever stop trying to find something better. It's all about the journey, not the destination.

I love this game. :-D

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

Dfreuter415, you warned me that things can get worse before it got better.    I didn't want to believe that.   When my HI got worse and not better, I had some doubts about where things are going and had to recall your comments in this thread.   Thanks, again.

My HI is on a roller coaster ride and I just hope it isn't already at the bottom.  My last 10 rounds HI is about 17+ and the real test is where it is going afterward, flat, up, or keep going down.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Dfreuter415, you warned me that things can get worse before it got better.    I didn't want to believe that.   When my HI got worse and not better, I had some doubts about where things are going and had to recall your comments in this thread.   Thanks, again.

My HI is on a roller coaster ride and I just hope it isn't already at the bottom.  My last 10 rounds HI is about 17+ and the real test is where it is going afterward, flat, up, or keep going down.

Hopefully this. Otherwise, you need might to make more changes. Like @dfreuter415 stated, "It's all about the journey, not the destination." :beer:

It should be fun, albeit with some bad language every now and then, but fun nonetheless. :dance:

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Quote:

Hopefully this. Otherwise, you need might to make more changes. Like @dfreuter415 stated, "It's all about the journey, not the destination."

It should be fun, albeit with some bad language every now and then, but fun nonetheless.

Now you say it.   I was blaming you when my HI was going up.   It was the insane jealousy of your making progress which finally pushed me over to make the changes to my golf game .... ;-) Oh, you can tear up the golf instruction bill/invoice I sent you.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Note: This thread is 3177 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!