IGNORED

Need special golf vacation ideas

rdoty
Note: This thread is 3251 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Long time lurker first post

I signed up just to throw in a place you may never think of as a golf destination.

Cambodia

I know it's a long way from the USA

There are three courses in the Siem Rep area, all top notch (with prices to match about $150 each for caddy, clubs, cart and green fees)

The city itself is the best place I have ever been

It's a city of 1,000,000 people and it's incredibly quiet, no one drives over 20 mph

The place is dirt cheap, a 4 star hotel in the centre of town will cost you about $50 per night ( I ate that much in the free buffet breakfast!)

The sights are astonishing. It is about seven miles from World Heritage Site Angkor Wat. That alone is worth the trip the place is astonishing. and you will never, ever forget it.

I spent my mornings playing golf and the afternoons playing Tomb Raider, clambering over these thousand year old buildings. It was a very tiring but brilliant holiday

You can get a driver for about $25.00 per day (gas included) who will drive you anywhere you want to go, anytime you want to go in a very modern car. So that's $75 per day for a room and taxi. Try getting that sort of value anywhere else.

I also went to Phnom Pehn Cambodia, there are four courses to play there. With the exception of Garden City they are not in the same class as the ones in Siem Reap

They are rougher around the edges and much cheaper. I didn't love PP as I did Siem Reap but I didn't regret going there. The tourist sites, such as The Killing Fields, are a lot more sobering. You won't forget going there either

If anyone is interested I put more complete reviews of the golf in Cambodia on an Australian website similar to this one called iseekgolf

This is Siem Reap

http://forums.iseekgolf.com/topic/49917-siem-reap-cambodia/

This is Phnom Pehn

http://forums.iseekgolf.com/topic/56049-phnom-penh-cambodia/?hl=phnom

I doubt there are any direct fights from the USA to Cambodia but you can easily fly there via Hong Kong or Singapore or Bangkok

US currency is accepted everywhere (take small notes! 1's and 5's), you get your change in the local riels (about 9000 to a dollar)

If anyone is interested I can try to answer any questions. I have also played more than 40 courses in Thailand including Black Mountain in Hua Hin which had a tournament just last week.

Good choice. But you probably need to tell her the destination before she packs - the clothes one would take for Hawaii are a bit different than those for Texas, especially if you're a young woman!

I figure if I tell her Arizona - she's never been there - I can talk her into shorts, golf shirts and her bikini.  And if she travels light (good luck with that!) I can treat her to a couple of new outfits.  I'm even thinking we could fly the first leg to Phoenix and change there to a flight to LAX.  Haven't worked all the details but I really want this to be a very special surprise for a very special young lady.

And I just discovered that there's direct flights to Kona airport from Phoenix.  How great is that!?

You should be able to get to Maui direct as well. Oh yeah, and can you be my dad too? Sounds like an awesome time.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

k-troop, I'm still laughing.  Not sure I'm up to adopting a son at my age but it's an interesting idea!  Maybe depends on how much you bring to the table! :)

Guess I can give a little background.  My "daughter" is actually my granddaughter.  I ended up raising her from birth , finally adopted her when she was seven, guided her through high school and last fall she enrolled at the University of Nebraska with a major in vocal performance (she wants to pursue a career in opera).  She's a very good golfer (low 80's, 240 yd driver - and I make her play from the whites) but her profs absolutely discourage golf because of the allergy risk.  That notwithstanding, whenever we get a chance we enjoy a day on the links.  She's such a good kid and we're the best of friends and I want to do something special for her and I know she'd really enjoy this.  Besides, I might not be able to afford this if I decide to adopt you!

• 3 months later...
Note: This thread is 3251 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!