IGNORED

Macgregor irons?

Note: This thread is 3344 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Can anyone tell me any thing about these irons? I have the whole set of these older Macgregor clubs. The woods are still made of wood. I think they date back to the late 80's to mid 90's but I'm not sure. I'd like to know about the irons. All I know is that they're Macgregor tourney, looks to be blade styles. Are they any good, or are they junk?

For much of the 20th century, MacGregor was a rival of Wilson Staff as one of the top golf club manufacturers in the USA. Lots of tour and club pros played one or the other. Pros won 59 majors playing MacGregor clubs. Jack Nicklaus was a MacGregor guy during much of his competitive career.

I played MacGregor MT irons from 1974 to 1994. About 1980, I picked up MT woods also.

Anyway, during the 1980s MacGregor started getting bought and sold, and when someone bought the company in the mid 1990s, McG had mushroomed to several dozen brands of clubs. Basically, the went from pro tour in prestige to department store status.

I fear the once proud Tourney name had fizzled by the time your iron set was made.

The 1990s buyer pruned down the line to about five models, but MacGregor continued to sputter. Aussie pro Greg Norman had MacGregor the last few years it was a solo brand, but in 2009 sold it to Golfsmith. It now represents an excellent - but somewhat unheralded - house brand for Golfsmith.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thank you WUTiger for the info you give me. I kind of figured what I have is junk. What do you think of the Golfsmith 2014 Macgregor tourney irons? I'm new to the game. This spring will only be my 2nd year playing. Right now I'm playing with a old set of clone irons called King snake mr over size. I could hit the ball good because I live out in the country (farm land). I practice a lot. But I real want to up grade my irons. I guess cavity backs would be the best for me. Any thoughts on what would be a good set of irons for a high handy capper for $300. or less?

Thank you.

It's funny how things work. A couple years ago I came across 4 complete sets of older clubs for little to no money. One set was these Macgregor tourney's. The others where a set Wilson 1200 LT's. I like them, but they're a little to short for me. I have a set of King snake MR over size. I think these are a King cobra clone. But they're the one I chose to play with. The last set I had was a set of John Daly Hippo's. These are the ones I gave to my brother when I took up the game last year. Because I figured I needed a golf partner, and he didn't have a set. Now after reading the forums. sounds like the only ones I had that where even halfway decent where the Hippo's.

Oh well! Things happen. Soon enough I'll go out and get fitted for some irons. Hopefully I can find a good set of new or used ones for about $300. or less. Global golf look to have a lot of good deals on used clubs. But it's hard to make a choice, till I get fitted.

The 2011 or 12 can't remember exactly VIPs were awesome

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

• 2 weeks later...

I still play my 1025c irons, butter.

Also use a Tourney 5W and hybrid.

Lately I have been using my DCT, Bobby Grace Captiva putter.

I'm down to a 10 handicap. At this rate, I'll get to scratch at 90 years old!

short iron,

I would need to see the physical specs from Ralph Maltby site, which is down for maintenance this weekend.

MacGregor Tourney 2014 would be solid, durable irons - I'm just not sure how user-friendly they are for a beginning golfer.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3344 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!