IGNORED

My swing (Huddo)

Huddo
Note: This thread is 3409 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm working on getting my left wrist less cupped at the top of the backswing but it's proving really difficult. My grip is neutral and I have a slight cup at address.

Is it just a case of persevering and it will eventually happen? Stephan has got me to use a folder to practice the feeling of keeping the left arm in contact throughout the backswing. The problem seems to be that my left wrist naturally wants to dorsiflex.

Any advice gratefully received, thanks.

Yes, it's difficult. . .Flat or "palmered" is even better. That helps me keep the swing on plane and my dominant shoulder down on the down swing.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think the open clubface has been the root cause of my many swing faults that have developed. I do recall having a good weight transfer when I first started playing but over time a slice crept into my game which stopped me playing. It seems my current over the top has stemmed from my lack of confidence in clubface position and subsequently effected my weight transfer........almost scared of slicing, if that makes sense?

Matt

I think the open clubface has been the root cause of my many swing faults that have developed. I do recall having a good weight transfer when I first started playing but over time a slice crept into my game which stopped me playing. It seems my current over the top has stemmed from my lack of confidence in clubface position and subsequently effected my weight transfer........almost scared of slicing, if that makes sense?

I only started slicing recently as well. It was from coming OTT while experimenting with high hands, but I didn't incorporate Key 2 and Key 3 into the swing. This caused a severe slice. Prodigiously long, but way over to the left.

One key for me was to keep the wrist flat or palmered. This in addition to turning from the hips and keeping my arm as straight as possible. I admit that I am only just starting to incorporate these elements, but my son is watching my swing a la Mike and Dana's instruction from our last lesson (It helps to have the same instructors).

I've started seeing some success as of Sunday. I am getting some decent drives, but since I am not yet comfortable with it, I can't put anything into it yet. It's not so comfortable that I do the same swing every time yet. It'll take a lot of deliberate practice and mirror work and possibly another lesson with Mike before I see significant results.

Takes time. Take your time as well. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Thanks @Lihu , I'm currently experiencing the "feel is not real" with my practice and it certainly will take time. I don't know what I would do without a camera to prove me wrong every time!? I've ordered a glove with a bit of plastic in to try and keep my wrist flat. It's probably a gimmick but worth a try......at least I hope.

Matt

Thanks @Lihu, I'm currently experiencing the "feel is not real" with my practice and it certainly will take time. I don't know what I would do without a camera to prove me wrong every time!? I've ordered a glove with a bit of plastic in to try and keep my wrist flat. It's probably a gimmick but worth a try......at least I hope.

Mirrors also work.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Mirrors also work.

Strange thing is.....they don't for me? I can get a flat wrist in front of a mirror but at the range the cupped wrist returns! I'm doing a slow measured backswing which looks great but the swing to hit the ball has a cupped wrist...........really annoying!

Matt

Strange thing is.....they don't for me? I can get a flat wrist in front of a mirror but at the range the cupped wrist returns! I'm doing a slow measured backswing which looks great but the swing to hit the ball has a cupped wrist...........really annoying!

It takes time to make this change.

In the mirror, you can do "stop motion" movements (incrementally turn a few degrees then look at your positions). This helps you get the feel for the flat lead wrist. Do it several times a day. Take it to the range. Stop and adjust to the correct body positions at as many angles as you can. Turn your head to see if you are keeping your body in the proper positions you are focused on.

Yes, it is really annoying. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Cheers for the advice @Lihu I will slow things down even more! I'm booking a 1 or 2 hour lesson with James in the next 2 weeks so hopefully that will help. Evolvr lessons are amazing but I'm the type of person who also needs to be coached in person, so that I can replicate the right things to do in my swing. Thanks again!

Matt

Cheers for the advice @Lihu I will slow things down even more! I'm booking a 1 or 2 hour lesson with James in the next 2 weeks so hopefully that will help. Evolvr lessons are amazing but I'm the type of person who also needs to be coached in person, so that I can feel the right things to do in my swing.

Thanks again!

I'm pretty confident it will help . I'm also the type who needs coaching in person. Mike has helped me a whole ton. Just be patient with your swing. It takes a long time to develop. . .something will just click in place, but not immediately. . .

Have a great lesson!

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Here are my latest videos sent trough to Stephan at evolvr.  I'm working on maintaining a centered pivot, head position during the backswing and a less cupped left wrist at the top of the backswing.  I'm really pleased with my improved head position but there is still loads of work to do with my left wrist.  It's the area I'm targeting during my 5 mins per day April challenge!

Matt

Not sure if this will be a rhetorical question but could lack of flexibility, especially in my hip flexor region, be a cause of my upper body still lifting in the backswing? I'm still finding it tough to maintain my spine angle, it seems to begin once the club gets close to A3. It's fine during a slow practice swing but not when any resistance is introduced. Any help appreciated, thanks.

Matt

The BBC are going Masters mad......like we all are.  Have a look at the following link, it's their take on "what makes the perfect swing", quite a good watch.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/guides/z3yw7ty

good ol Ken Brown '' turn the shoulders 90 and resist with the hips''

ok Ken - :doh:

Mark

Weapons of choice:
:titleist: 910 D2 :titleist: 910 Fd 15° :titleist:910H 17°
:mizuno: Mp54 4-PW :vokey:52 -12 :vokey:  56 - 12 :vokey: 60 - 08
:odyssey: Pro Type 2 ball 

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that

Quick update on my progress;

My last round of 18 was a 97, as per previous rounds I blew hot and cold which is down to the inconsistency of my swing.  Unless I had a great day with the putter, I believe that 95+ is probably my score ceiling, hence the need to keep practicing.

Practice has been a little scarce due to the kids being off for holidays but I'm doing my 5 minutes per day in the garden - focusing on a feeling of a bowed left wrist at the top with a shortened backswing.  I really want to nail down my key #1 so that I can start to work on the weight shift and hopefully address the OTT move.

I will post a few videos over the next few days.

Matt

I've put my rounds so far (5) onto an excel spreadsheet to monitor my progress.  The average for the 5 rounds is 99.8, which is not a bad start to my Golfing career......well at least I think so!  My putting average is 2.0 and my GIR 20% - probably due to my lack of distance off the tee currently.  Interestingly, if I totalled up all the best scores for each hole, I would shoot a 79...........if only it was that easy!

Going for another round tomorrow before my shootout with @Nosevi on Friday!  I'm looking forward to watching a low handicapper in action, and I will hopefully learn a few things along the way.

Matt

Just seen the thread. Look forward to Friday too although I've been off the course for a bit so you may be giving me a few shots rather than the other way round :)

Pete Iveson

Just seen the thread. Look forward to Friday too although I've been off the course for a bit so you may be giving me a few shots rather than the other way round :)

Hi Pete, weather looks favourable for Friday which is a bonus. I will book the tee, obviously with you on the white's and me on the ladies.....you will still batter my 4 iron though! See you at 10.

Matt

Note: This thread is 3409 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!