IGNORED

Newbie looking for advice - To Drive or not too Drive

Note: This thread is 6060 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I just started to play golf this summer for the first time. I've taken a few private lessons and would say that I'm finally getting a grasp. I'm not even trying to keep score yet, I figure if I take a dozen balls and come back with 3 or4 after a round of golf I did oK.

Here's my question I bought a set of orlimar hybrid irons which are nice and forgiving, I'm happy with them. I bought a driver, 3 wood and 5 wood which were Touredge, about $45 each. When I use my driver to tee off my stomach goes into knots because with 3 people staring at me I still don't really know quite which way the ball is going to go. Is it worth me buying a decent driver to get the ball to go straighter and may be a few extra yards in the process. I don't mind spending say $250-300 if it"ll make a slight difference

I know there's no magic club but anything that will stop the rolling of the eyes of my golf partners would be great

I am a newbie as well. When I started, people told me to stay away from the driver. Is the hardest to control. So, my 3 wood is the longest I had for a while. Now it is my one and only "go to" club. I can hit my 3 wood solid. Last 9 holes I played, except for the 2 short par 3's, I hit all 7 other fairways. At the range, out of a medium bucket, about 50 balls, may be only a couple duds, all other goes airborne with good consistency.

So I went and bought a Burner driver, you know, the hottest driver of 2007, ready to "bomb away" " gain a 100yards in my bag" and all that hype. You would think that it 'd be very similar to my Burner 3 wood. But no, very different setup. I get only about half of what I get with my 3 wood. Fancy driver doesn't let you bomb away, unless you can do it consistently. Definitely the hardest club to control.

Yeah, showboating with my driver is cool, the only few times I get to hit it right on. To me, it more gratifying with my 3 wood right now. But hey, practice makes perfect.

I took it out of my game. Only use it at the range. I hope to put my driver back in play by next season.

I just started to play golf this summer for the first time. I've taken a few private lessons and would say that I'm finally getting a grasp. I'm not even trying to keep score yet, I figure if I take a dozen balls and come back with 3 or4 after a round of golf I did oK.

Your driver is probably more forgiving than your 3-Wood. I wouldn't spend a large amount of money on either - I bet the driver you have is good enough. Give it a try on the range, see if you're at least as accurate and long as the 3-Wood. If you are, go ahead and hit it. If not, stick with what works for you. (I hit about the same number of fairways when I default to driver and when I default to 3-Wood, and I'm not particularly good with either) I realize we're on different coasts, but I'll bet your playing partners aren't rolling their eyes at you: especially if they're randomly assigned at the course!

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

i remember when i started playing i would only hit my 3w on the golf course. However, at the range I would continue to practice my driver until i felt confident enough to take it to the course.. Early on i relied on the importance on practicing my driver routing to the point that I was able to take it to course with much success.

I would still get the driver, get yourself properly fitted.. and you dont have to get today's latest and greatest, trust me, you probably wont even see much difference in distance if any. I think right now it would be a great time for you to buy since golf season is almost over.

Remember work on that driver, build your confidence then take it to the course.
HiBore XL Tour 10.5* Fujikura Speeder 652 Tour Spec X-Flex
HiBore 15* FW Aldila 70-S "Proto By You"
Hibore 2i Aldila 80-S "Proto By you"
MP-67 3-pw *Project X 6.0
MP-R Black Nickel wedges 52*-7 56*-10 60*-5 *Project X 6.0 GM2 Exchange #6 Staff Bag

Note: This thread is 6060 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!