IGNORED

Making some history at the Royal and Ancient - New Female R&A members Claire Dowling/Renee Powell

nevets88
Note: This thread is 3346 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

http://www.independent.ie/sport/golf/making-some-history-at-the-royal-and-ancient-31030966.html

A look into the lives of two new members of the R&A; GC.

Quote:

As it happens, Claire Dowling has done her own share of trailblazing. During the 1990s, as a representative of the Ladies' Golf Union, she became the first woman to sit on the R and A's Amateur Status Committee. And when Darren Clarke captured the Open Championship at Royal St George's four years ago, she became only the second woman to act as an on-course referee.

The first was England's Elizabeth Earnshaw, a pioneer on handicapping, who refereed at the 1995 Open at St Andrews and became the first British woman to referee at the US Masters, two years later. Regarding her Open experience, Ms Earnshaw recalled: "The press went bananas. They didn't want to know about the rules: they wanted to know if I'd be allowed in the R and A clubhouse at St Andrews. And for the record, the answer is yes. The members were very hospitable."

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3346 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• TST Partners

TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    ShotScope
    The Stack System
    FlightScope Mevo
    Direct: Mevo, Mevo+, and Pro Package.

Coupon Codes (save 10-15%): "IACAS" for Mevo/Stack, "IACASPLUS" for Mevo+/Pro Package, and "THESANDTRAP" for ShotScope.
    • I am in the same boat, I just don't remember this kind of stuff. It's an interesting topic though. I look forward to reading other responses. 
    • Yea that’s a positional shot. Otherwise it’s considered an approach shot and you would have missed the pin short by 90’.
    • Question for the group regarding positional shots.  I had one in my last round where I had 286yds remaining into a long par 5. I don't have a club that can reach that, but I still was able to hit 3 wood and advanced it 260yds leaving myself just under 30yds to the pin.  Is that considered a positional shot? I wasn't "going for it" because I had no chance of reaching it, but I wasn't necessarily trying to leave myself a certain yardage or get back in play or anything. (Btw I then hit the pitch shot to 3 feet and holed it for birdie on a 575yd par 5 and gained 1.19 strokes compared to scratch and 0.79 vs a Tour Player on that hole alone)     Also something else I find surprising is that for my tee shot on that hole, which was actually with a 3 wood due to where water pinches in, went 286yds (sloped fairway got me some extra roll beyond my normal 260 range) and just trickled about a foot or so into the left rough and per strokes gained I lost 0.02 strokes on that compared to scratch. I get that strokes gained doesn't distinguish how far in the rough it goes, but I was still a bit surprised that hitting it 286 in the rough is considered worse than average off the tee for a scratch player.  I was curious so I moved that tee shot into the fairway, then it says I gained 0.10 strokes compared to scratch. The 3 footer I made for birdie on the same hole gained 0.14 strokes compared to scratch. Moving it around a bit more, 290yd tee shot in the fairway is 0.10 strokes gained but 294yds is 0.21 strokes gained? I don't get how an extra 1% or 12 feet more on a 290yd drive makes 0.11 difference in strokes gained. I thought I understood strokes gained pretty well but that seems a bit odd to me that a 286-290yd drive in the fairway isn't as "above average" for a scratch player as holing a 3 footer is.    Edit - Did a bit more poking around and am even more confused. A 247yd tee shot in the fairway gained me 0.05 strokes but 286 in the rough loses 0.02? 40yds further ahead but in the rough cost me almost a full tenth of a stroke? That doesn't feel right (or I don't understand strokes gained as well as I thought I did)
    • Wordle 1,047 3/6 ⬜⬜⬜🟨🟨 🟨🟨🟨⬜🟩 🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
    • I don't remember a ton of favorite putts (maybe I need to make more) but here's two that I do remember.  18th at Kyber Run  We had been playing a 4v4 Scramble for $25 a guy and it had been absolutely pouring the entire day. Talking like 4+ hours of non-stop rain, but we had this money match planned for a while and the course was happy to take our greens fees. The foursome we were playing against was the group in front of us and they just finished and were watching us come up 18 from under a pavilion out of the rain. We thought we had a 1 stroke lead going into 18, but they had birdied 17 to tie things up. They parred 18. So they knew we were tied as we played 18. We had about a 35 footer straight up the hill for birdie and by this point water is starting to pool up on the green. I'm the last person to putt in the group, step up and hit it about as twice as hard as I normally would from that distance, water is spraying up behind the ball as it's rolling, ended up being perfect speed and drops in for a birdie, giving us the win and not realizing why they were so shocked about the putt until we realized that it was for the win.   12th at Talamore We had been playing 2v2 best ball and our opponents hadn't been playing great as we had a 3up lead through 8 mainly due to their mistakes rather than our great play. I went on a bit of a heater, holing a 10 footer on 9 for par to win the hole, birdied 10 after hitting a wedge to 12 feet and pouring that in, birdied the par 5 11th after hitting my 3rd shot to 4 feet to put us 6up with 7 to go. Par 4 12th, pin is front left and I am on the green back right after hitting a great punch slice recovery shot from the right trees. I had 50 feet left for birdie and was just trying to lag it close, it ended up going in the hole and I walked it in for my 3rd straight birdie and ended the match right there as my two opponents just shook their heads and my teammate was cracking up with laughter.

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...