IGNORED

Breaking 80 with the help of LSW

Lihu
Note: This thread is 3324 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Good prediction! I actually rolled through the fairway today on a good hit (not even going for the 3W it went 269 yards...), so I think the hybrid or the 3i is the play off the tee. However, a good second shot meant that I managed to rescue a par thanks to an nGIR and a decent putt - could certainly have made it easier for myself by hitting the left side of the green though... I actually did manage to break 80 on my course with a 78 (+8) thanks to a really good back nine. The front 9 was good, too, apart from one awful hole with the 2nd where I paid the price for an awful drive and then had the ball above my feet twice, both of which I mishit. I'm still going to keep going for this though as I think I can score better still. Generally really pleased though - 44% GIR is really good, whilst 54% fairways helped, too. The driving could have been better, but both of the holes I analysed beforehand went well :-) Round details here: [URL=http://www.gamegolf.com/player/benpage101/round/229048]http://www.gamegolf.com/player/benpage101/round/229048[/URL]

Nice job saving par on that hole! Congrats on the 78, too. . . Keep on going. . .:-)

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Nice job saving par on that hole! Congrats on the 78, too. . .

Keep on going. . .

Thanks - helps that I could actually hit my irons well today! We'll see what tomorrow brings...

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Question:

If you only have time for nine holes; like I did yesterday; does shooting 39 count?

Todd

Driver:  Cobra ZL Encore 9.5*

Woods:  Cobra AMP Fairway Adjustable 3-4W

Irons: Callaway XRPro S300 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i, 9i, PW, AW

Wedges:  Cobra Trusty Rusty - 53*, 57* / Callaway Mack Daddy PM - 60*, 64*

Putter: SeeMore SB2

Golf Ball:  Callaway SuperSoft

Yes, I carry 6 wedges, what are you gonna do about it?

Question: If you only have time for nine holes; like I did yesterday; does shooting 39 count?

Sure! Nice job! Tell us how you did it, though to help us improve. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Ok.  I got off to a good start and it just seemed to go from there.  I decided to use LSW decision mapping on hole number 3 when I hit a bad drive.  Left me a long way out and I usually would tell myself it would be better to just layup to a "good distance" for me to play my next shot.  This was on a par four.  There was really no danger to hitting a longer iron other than my lack of confidence in my ability to hit a good shot with it.  So I sucked it up, told myself I could hit that 5 iron.  I told myself, even if i miss the green with it, I will be much closer than laying up on a par four.  Concentrated, made a good swing, knowing I would be able to accept the result no matter what.  Looked up and ball was headed for the center of the green, where it landed and came to a halt.  2 putt for par.  That's when I knew that this might be the round.  Everything went ok after that.  I bogeyed the back to back par 5s with bad tee shots, but 2 over after 6 was not bad.  Par on 7, then it really started to set in.  2 over after 7.  I was so excited.  I've been playing golf for 30 years and this was the best start I had ever had, and the best chance to break 40 as well.  It got in my head and I started thinking about the score rather than the shot I currently needed to hit.  Worst tee shot on 8 I've ever hit (except for a whiff or a topped ball).  Put it all the way over in 9 fairway.  Lots of trees in the way, got myself into all kinds of trouble and doubled the hole.  Sat in the cart at 9 tee box for a minute.Thought about what had just happened.  Realized that it was my lack of concentration that caused my problem.  Had to get focused, and first item was figuring out tee shot on 9.  Its a short par 4.  I just had hit a terrible shot with my driver.  9 fairway is straight, no bunkers to worry about except greenside which I am not long enough to reach with driver.  I used LSW philosophy.  Shorten the distance between me and the hole as much as possible within reason.  After mentally looking at my options, i realized that the driver was worth the minimal risk I faced.  I got myself ready, choked down on the driver a little for better control.  Picked my line and told myself a good swing will be in the fairway.  Put it right down the center, 50 yards out.  Lob wedge to 6 feet.  6 foot put that breaks about 18" right extreme downhill.  I lined up and actually said outloud, "this is the right line, stroke with confidence".  Heard two clicks, first - putter face, second - bottom of the cup.  I was so excited, I nearly sat down on the green and cried.  I've hit a lot of golf shots in my life trying to just get 39 once.  Now it has happened, and I feel greedy.  I hope I am not wrong for that!!

Todd

Ok.  I got off to a good start and it just seemed to go from there.  I decided to use LSW decision mapping on hole number 3 when I hit a bad drive.  Left me a long way out and I usually would tell myself it would be better to just layup to a "good distance" for me to play my next shot.  This was on a par four.  There was really no danger to hitting a longer iron other than my lack of confidence in my ability to hit a good shot with it.  So I sucked it up, told myself I could hit that 5 iron.  I told myself, even if i miss the green with it, I will be much closer than laying up on a par four.  Concentrated, made a good swing, knowing I would be able to accept the result no matter what.  Looked up and ball was headed for the center of the green, where it landed and came to a halt.  2 putt for par.  That's when I knew that this might be the round.  Everything went ok after that.  I bogeyed the back to back par 5s with bad tee shots, but 2 over after 6 was not bad.  Par on 7, then it really started to set in.  2 over after 7.  I was so excited.  I've been playing golf for 30 years and this was the best start I had ever had, and the best chance to break 40 as well.  It got in my head and I started thinking about the score rather than the shot I currently needed to hit.  Worst tee shot on 8 I've ever hit (except for a whiff or a topped ball).  Put it all the way over in 9 fairway.  Lots of trees in the way, got myself into all kinds of trouble and doubled the hole.  Sat in the cart at 9 tee box for a minute.Thought about what had just happened.  Realized that it was my lack of concentration that caused my problem.  Had to get focused, and first item was figuring out tee shot on 9.  Its a short par 4.  I just had hit a terrible shot with my driver.  9 fairway is straight, no bunkers to worry about except greenside which I am not long enough to reach with driver.  I used LSW philosophy.  Shorten the distance between me and the hole as much as possible within reason.  After mentally looking at my options, i realized that the driver was worth the minimal risk I faced.  I got myself ready, choked down on the driver a little for better control.  Picked my line and told myself a good swing will be in the fairway.  Put it right down the center, 50 yards out.  Lob wedge to 6 feet.  6 foot put that breaks about 18" right extreme downhill.  I lined up and actually said outloud, "this is the right line, stroke with confidence".  Heard two clicks, first - putter face, second - bottom of the cup.  I was so excited, I nearly sat down on the green and cried.  I've hit a lot of golf shots in my life trying to just get 39 once.  Now it has happened, and I feel greedy.  I hope I am not wrong for that!!

That is an awesome read - well done!

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Nice writeup, thanks for sharing!

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Nice writeup, thanks for sharing!

This was also an important hole that LSW helped me on.  At first, I really wanted to hit an iron off that tee after seeing my previous hole's shot with driver.  But I knew to break 40 I had to have birdie and the best way to do it was to get as close to the green as possible if there were not too much risk involved.  It paid off.

Todd

Lowest score won, for me! Shot a 77, but it's about the same as shooting 82 from my normal course and tees . I finally shot the same or a slightly better differential as on the longer course, it was a curse that I couldn't before this. I hope I don't jinx myself for the next round on it. . . :-X

Anyway, not every shot was that good. In fact, I hooked drives into a trees more than once. My irons were generally okay, but I did have my share of missed greens and mishits that piddled to the wrong part of the green and just plain shanks right off the hosel.

However, following the strategy principles of LSW, I started saving pars and bogeys with a lot more ease than I've ever experienced previously. Once I get over this swing issue, I'm going to put full focus on the strategy sections and a bit more effort on the short game skills.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Lowest score won, for me! Shot a 77, but it's about the same as shooting 82 from my normal course and tees. I finally shot the same or a slightly better differential as on the longer course, it was a curse that I couldn't before this. I hope I don't jinx myself for the next round on it. . .

Anyway, not every shot was that good. In fact, I hooked drives into a trees more than once. My irons were generally okay, but I did have my share of missed greens and mishits that piddled to the wrong part of the green and just plain shanks right off the hosel.

However, following the strategy principles of LSW, I started saving pars and bogeys with a lot more ease than I've ever experienced previously. Once I get over this swing issue, I'm going to put full focus on the strategy sections and a bit more effort on the short game skills.

Let's start breaking 80 on a regular basis and get that single digit!!!

Todd

Let's start breaking 80 on a regular basis and get that single digit!!!

I'd be happy with a solid 10, too. ;-)

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Great stuff, @lihu!

I broke 80 for the first time today. Shot 78 on a par 70. Very excited!!

Cool!

I actually know how you feel. . . Unfortunately, I also know how it feels to shoot a 97 on the same day as a 77. . .

On a positive note for myself, I played 9 holes of practice this evening, and scored back to back birdies on three holes on Brookside Course 2! I'm also getting a little bit dissatisfied with making GIR on par 5s in 3 shots. My first thought is "crap", then I realize I get 3 shots to make it.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 3324 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!