IGNORED

Lets discuss, putting spin on the ball..

fastfed
Note: This thread is 6047 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I went from my cheater gap wedge, the "RIP STOP" and no matter how I hit it, the ball would have crazy back spin.

Now, I am finally starting to get good at this game ( mid 90's so far for last couple weeks ) and I got rid of my rip stop and got the vokey spin milled 53 degree wedge.

I am trying to hone down my skills with doing my shots.. I use this club from 100 yards up to 30 yards. What I am trying to do is get as much back spin as possible.

I play it towards my back foot, but more like middle back. I address the ball then bring my hands a little infront of the ball. I start my back swing but keep as much of my weight in the front at all times, and follow through with almost all my weight going forward as if I am throwing the club and my body at the target.. All the while, I am still hitting down on the ball, trying to pinch it, but for some reason this is not working as well as I thought it would, I am not seeing the back spin I would like to..

Any other tips or tricks?

THANKS

Yes. Learn to hit every shot with a flat left wrist and make a divot that begins after the ball, then bottoms out 4" past the ball. If you can do that, you'll probably be a scratch player in no time.

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

My guess is that you're either too stiff (softer hands will really allow you to accelerate through the ball and generate more spin), or that even though you may not feel it you are shifting weight around... How do I know? I recently had this problem. Reading back over my notes and some other articles helped to remind me of the fundamentals of generating spin though...

Can I ask why you want "as much back spin as possible?"

Driver: 905R 9.5*
3-wood: 906F 13*
Irons: Forged Blades
Wedges: Black Satin SV Tour 52* , 56*, 60*
Putter: FuturaBall: ProV1x or One Platinum---------------------------------------------------------My 2008 Tournament Qualifiers:Tennessee State Match Play - Qualified - July...

I read in a magazine about a conversation with an older tour pro. A player was asking him how he put back spin on the golf ball. The tour pro asked how far he hit is 7 iron. The player answered with 150 yards. The tour pro said if you only hit a 7 iron 150 yards why would you want to make it go shorter by adding spin.

It's an interesting concept. I think most people want spin because it looks SO cool. The reason it looks cool is because not many people can spin the ball. I'll be honest, I've never been able to spin a ball much more than a few feet. When I'm striking the ball well my shots will either sit close to their pitch mark with wedges, run forward a few feet down to my 7 iron to holding most greens with my 3 iron. When it's right. Tour Pros aren't spinning the ball as much as a few years back because it's hard to control is my understanding.

Swing = Stacked and On Plane when possible.
In My Bag:
Driver: Ping G5 9° Alidila NV 75g Stiff
3-Wood: Nike SQ 15° Diamana Stiff (Stock)
Irons: NIKE FORGED SPLIT CAVIY (S300)Wedges: Taylormade RAC Fe2O3 (Rust) 52°/56°/60°Putter: Titleist/Cameron Newport 1.5Ball: Looking for a new...

i open my stance and clubface a little bit, and make a short swing with my arms but a big swing with my wrists. follow me? i get wristy i guess, it makes the clubhead accelerate and pops the ball high in the air and stop quicker than a pitch. i suck at explaining but i hope it helps a little bit, so to paraphrase: get wristy.

In my wasabe green ozone bag:

Hibore 9.5° w/ UST V2 Stiff Shaft Driver

G10 15° 1H w/ UST V2 Stiff Shaft G10 18° 2H w/ UST V2 Stiff Shaft T-Zoid Pro 3-PW S300 CG10 52° 2 Dot Black Pearl CG10 56° 2 Dot Black Pearl Newport 2 TerylliumLow Score = 88

I can spin the ball back, I can also make it land dead or make it "chase forward." I usually try to make it land dead- two bounces and stop. Second choice is chasing it forward. The ONLY time I spin a ball back is a front pin, when I want to make sure I stay below the pin and also land it on the green. This is actually reasonably rare.

Why would you want to spin it back?

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

Note: This thread is 6047 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!