IGNORED

What is up with the Japanese golf market?

ClintonM3
Note: This thread is 6004 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was looking at a few manufacturer's Japanese websites, seems like they have some pretty cool stuff overthere that is not available over here. What's up witht that? I do realize that there are a couple websites that sell Japanese market products, but with substantial markup, which is sure due to exporting fee, tax and the sheer lack of retail outlets.

I can understand that Mizuno being a Japanese company, not exporting some of their cooler stuff here, may increase the prices out of the market. Yen versus the dollar, sure, lots of factors involved. But why would domestics like Taylormade, Callaway, and Titleist have different product lines in Japan.

I think any golfer regardless of nationality like golf equipment as much as the next guy. Do the Japanese have such different buying habits and preference/requirements that they need different products? I think some of the products overseas can be sold here with success. Everywhere you read, golf industry is booming, blah, blah. Why limit your product diversity? Especially in apparel, where you can gain much more brand recognition, just look at Puma and Nike.

I work closely with brand marketing, just something I noticed.

• Administrator
The Japanese golfers tend to:

1) be shorter
2) like technology and the help it can give them
3) like that technology to be more "visible" than it is here in the U.S.

There's a lot more to it than that, but those three things tend to cover the majority. The Japanese market also has/had slightly different rules, too. Their CoR, like Europe, used to be (or still is until 2008?) 0.86 instead of 0.83, etc.

Japanese golfers aren't as "traditional" as we are here. While we kind of like our technology to be "hidden" a little bit, they're a lot more lenient and in fact like to see displayed boldly.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yeah...like check out this Mizuno MP bag I found on line which has to come from Japan and because so cost $315 U.S. dollars. I love this bag but not that much

TEE - XCG6, 13º, Matrix Ozik HD6.1, stiff
Wilson Staff - Ci11, 3-SW, TX Fligthed, stiff

Odyssey - Metal X #7, 35in

Wilson Staff - FG Tour ball 

The Japanese golfers tend to:

yeah i've noticed japanese equipment is looks very 'technologically advanced'. I like the look of traditional equipment, however my game is such a wreck that traditional equipment is out of my league

I was checking out some of the wedges listed on theat tour spec page. The Japanese have always been known to be quite skilled metal forging. I bet some of those wedges have some pretty kick ass feel.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Like was previously stated the specs for golf clubs sold in asia are different, because of the different body types of asians.

I just moved to Korea (born and raised in Philly, but my parent are from Korea) and found this whole market of Asian spec (or Japan Spec) golf equipment. From what I understand the shafts are a little shorter and have a little more flex, and I think the flex point is different too. These clubs are made for people with an asia build. (probably males from 5'5" - 6' weighing between 130lbs to 180lbs)

All the clubs in my signature were bought in Korea with Asian specs. I think that these clubs work really well for me. Especially my MX-25's. Also the Taylormade R7 Super quad and my Adams woods are asian specs although they are US companies. I think I hit the asian spec clubs more consistently.

In the US I could not get these types of shafts unless I went to a Korean owned golf shop. There are several in the Washington DC metropolitan area and I am sure there are plenty in California.
In my bag:

Driver: R7 SuperQuad
Woods: RPM LP 3W & 5W
Irons: MX-25 4-SWPutter: Detour

the TaylorMade TP forged blades are only available in Japan and they are pretty sweet looking.

Driver: 9.5 905R 757 Speeder X stiff
3 Wood: 13.0 Sonartec GS Tour Red Ice 70X
Hybrid: 17.0 Sonartec MD Stiff UST IROD
Irons: 690cb 4-PW w/Rifle 6.0
Wedges: Cleveland 900 Series Gunmetal 50, 54, 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Newport 370g head

I was stationed in Korea in 95-96. I know back then, also in Japan, it was said the majority of golfers would never see a golf course, because of the expense. Most would just hit balls at multi level driving ranges with neting to catch the ball. Maybe this plays a factor. Also I played one round on a Korean course, it took 3 hours to play the front, and at the turn it took 2 hours to wait to tee off on the back, then the back took 3 hours. At the turn you had to wait in line while all the players sat inside and ate lunch. Very different experience over there.

Driver: Taylor Made R7 SuperQuad TP X stiff
3 wood: Taylor Made Vsteel proforce X stiff
Hybrid: Taylor Made 19* TP Project X 6.5
4-AW: Taylor Made R7TP Project X 6.5
Wedges: 56,60 Taylor Made TP y cutterPutter: Taylor Made Rosa

I was stationed in Korea in 95-96. I know back then, also in Japan, it was said the majority of golfers would never see a golf course, because of the expense. Most would just hit balls at multi level driving ranges with neting to catch the ball. Maybe this plays a factor. Also I played one round on a Korean course, it took 3 hours to play the front, and at the turn it took 2 hours to wait to tee off on the back, then the back took 3 hours. At the turn you had to wait in line while all the players sat inside and ate lunch. Very different experience over there.

Yeah, I can fortunately play every weekend if I want. The cost of a round is a couple hundred dollars though unless you are a member then its only about $120 (golf membership fees range from $100,000 to $500,000). We played a five hour round last weekend and that was considered extremely fast. We had to wait at the turn and also between holes 14 and 15 or something like that. Fairways are pretty narrow. Really gotta be accurate.

In my bag:

Driver: R7 SuperQuad
Woods: RPM LP 3W & 5W
Irons: MX-25 4-SWPutter: Detour

I have been craving the white Titleist "Japan Only" stand bag on eBay ,but I can't see $280 (shipping included) just to have a sexy white bag with black accents. But its still tempting, even at that exorbitant price.

I do wish these fcompanies really did become global and give everyone access to everything they offer. I would be willing to pay a slight premium to special order something from my local shop. Oh well.

Heaven is 630 a.m. Saturday morning, 65 crisp degrees headed toward a comfortable 80, first tee (elevated, of course) . . . and not another worry in the world.

Driver: r7 quad/10.5 degree, stiff shaft
3W: Steelhead III, stiff shaft
7W: r5, stiff shaftIrons (2-SW): ISI K/Black dot, stiff shaft,...

I have been craving the white Titleist "Japan Only" stand bag on eBay ,but I can't see $280 (shipping included) just to have a sexy white bag with black accents. But its still tempting, even at that exorbitant price.

I, too, became aware of "Japan" only issued equipment and accessories. There was a silver Titleist stand bag I saw on eBay I really wanted, about a year and a half ago; really cool looking, with old fashioned Titleist script on the side. I found a fellow on ebay who had one who was willing to part with it in trade for a putter he wanted I had that I never used. So, I traded him the putter for the bag. I use the bag to this day. Is it that much better than domestic issued bags? No. Does it look a little more exotic? Yes. Does anybody care? No. Has it improved my enjoyment of the game? Not really. It's a very nice bag, but is it worth over $300? Indeed, it is not. I would not part with that much cash for any bag, much less a nylon/polyester bag. I guess my point is this: I can't see paying twice or more than twice for some gear just because it comes from or is made exclusively for the Japanese ( or any other market, for that matter ), [eventhough it may have a marginally more interesting appearance] UNLESS that equipment is going to really enhance either my enjoyment of the game or somehow improve my playing ablility. I don't think there's anything wrong with anyone buying Japanese market prices for a lot of money ( or certain expensive limited edition clubs ) if that floats their boat, but I don't think I will be joining them. In fact, I might suggest buying the fine products available here, and spending the balance on lessons.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

Yeah...like check out this Mizuno MP bag I found on line which has to come from Japan and because so cost $315 U.S. dollars. I love this bag but not that much

Here they sell it in stores for around $220. I've seen and held the bag and I can honestly say it is the hottest and sexiest bag I've seen (the silver one). I'm sure you'll like it more when you see it in person. I know this guy who's just starting out to play golf and already bought this silver Mizuno staff/cart bag and combined it with Mizuno MP-67. Very very sweet.

I'm also looking forward to buy new Mizuno bag, but I just can't decide buy this Mizuno staff/cart bag or the new Twister III.
What's in the bag:
Driver: r7 SuperQuad 10.5° ~ UST Proforce V2 65g Regular
Wood: 906F4 18.5° ~ Aldila VS Proto 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60 3-PW ~ True Temper Tour Concept S3
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 252.08, SM56.10 & SM60.08Putter: Marxman Mallet 33"

• 5 weeks later...
Here they sell it in stores for around $220. I've seen and held the bag and I can honestly say it is the hottest and sexiest bag I've seen (the silver one).

Yes the silver one is it...where did you see this bag for $220...I want one bad!

TEE - XCG6, 13º, Matrix Ozik HD6.1, stiff
Wilson Staff - Ci11, 3-SW, TX Fligthed, stiff

Odyssey - Metal X #7, 35in

Wilson Staff - FG Tour ball 

Also I played one round on a Korean course, it took 3 hours to play the front, and at the turn it took 2 hours to wait to tee off on the back, then the back took 3 hours. At the turn you had to wait in line while all the players sat inside and ate lunch. Very different experience over there.

I would go absolutley bonkers.

There's a joke in the new Ben Stiller movie about playing behind Asian golfers. Really funny.

Driver: Sumo2 5900 10.5*
3+ Utility: 3DX Utility 13.5*
Hybrids: 4DX 18.5*
Irons: MP-30 3-PW
Wedges: Vokey SM54.10 & SM60.04Putter: T.P. Mills StudioBall: GamerBag: Warbird Stand

Being a huge Mizuno fan I have also found Asian golf stuff on websites that you can't find here in the US.

Kind of funny to me that Asian golfers prefer high tech, but Mizuno has made some of the best forged blades I've ever hit, MP29, MP33, and my favorite MP37's.

I was stationed in Korea in the late 80's and we could easily get on our military courses at Camp Casey, and Camp Redcloud any time and the rounds were a normal 4 hours. I do remember a few Korean Nationals playing on our courses but from what I remember they were charged an outragous amount to play. Only the extremely wealthy Koreans could afford to play but we were very close to the North Korean border. Maybe there was more oppertunities for the average Korean to play in Soel.

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

Consumers in Japan are willing to pay a lot more for equipment than Americans. In US $, $1200 for FIVE irons is a typical Japanese price. Drivers are often $800 or more. Wedges run close to $200.00.

Because the consumer is willing to pay more, they sell the newest technologies their, then in a few years, something similar comes here. Additionally, most Japanese market irons are forged by masters in Japanese forging houses. Most of the goods in the US are mass produced in Chinese factories. There is a huge quality difference. You do get what you pay for.

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

I couldn't find the thread, but "iacas'" Japan-only Titleist bag is cool as hell. I got the simple, US-only version of his bag.

There's a regular at my club that is Japanese and always has the latest-and-greatest from his home country. The coolest part? He's 75 years old and shot a 74 at Barefoot's Dye Course. Got his name in the paper for that score.

I got a 983X Tour Prototype a few years ago when that was Titleist's main model and sold it on ebay for $1600 to a guy from Japan. He said he could get $2000 for it there. That's just insane.

Driver: 9.5 905R 757 Speeder X stiff
3 Wood: 13.0 Sonartec GS Tour Red Ice 70X
Hybrid: 17.0 Sonartec MD Stiff UST IROD
Irons: 690cb 4-PW w/Rifle 6.0
Wedges: Cleveland 900 Series Gunmetal 50, 54, 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Newport 370g head

Note: This thread is 6004 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!