IGNORED

Just bought a new driver, have some questions...

Note: This thread is 6062 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I just bought an R7 Superquad 8.5*, and put a 757 speeder X shaft in it. My previous driver was a Mizuno 300s 8* with a Fujikura Vista Pro80 S shaft. I'm not sure when that Mizuno came out, not sure if it ever came out in stores, but I had it given to me by a Mizuno rep about three years ago. The pro at my club had me play with him since I was having a hard time finding a driver that would help me keep the ball down. The rep sent me a 300s and 300s II, but I ultimately liked the feel of the 300s the best and it was only a 300cc clubhead which I liked. I was playing a 975D 6.5* EI-70 S at the time which went too high and created too much backspin.

I loved the Mizuno, until recently I decided it was time to make an upgrade and purchased the R7. I did this not so much for extra length, but for more forgiveness. I took the R7 out to the range today for the first time. I played with the standard weight distribution in the clubhead. This is where my questions begin. My first shots were low bullet duck hooks. I'm not sure if that's because I was excited or what not, but it seemed almost impossible at the beginning to hit a straight shot or even a fade. With the mizuno with the 82 gram shaft it was difficult to hit a duck hook. With almost all other shafts I duck hook them as well.

My best shots with the R7 came when I opened up my stance a little and stood further away from the ball. Then they got a great deal of height and length, with a little fade or a little draw. The only problem is, this is not how I am accustomed to hitting a driver. The speeder is a little lighter at 79 grams, and is noticeably lighter when swinging. I guess my question is, did I buy too much shaft for myself or too little?

I figured I was buying a somewhat comparable shaft in the 757 speeder X as the Vista Pro 80 S. One was a little heavier and the other was a little stiffer. I wanted a little lower penetrating trajectory from the the speeder. I didn't get to practice with it too much, so I just might need to tweak it a bit with some practice in the future. Does anyone have any experience with both the Vista Pro 80 S and the 757 X?

I was looking to lower my trajectory a little bit, but when I aim square it goes like a bullet but quite low, seems like there is a lot of over spin. If I open up the stance and stand further away it goes really high, not ballooning, but a little higher trajectory then I would want if lined up square. Would buying the taylormade TP weight kit help out at all?

The reason I am so concerned is because I liked the fact of not having to worry about the left side of the course so much on the tee when I hit the Vista Pro 80. Usually when I hit a shaft that is too stiff or heavy I block it high right. When I hit a flex that is too weak or a shaft that is too light I hit it left like I did with the speeder, but I usually get a good bit of height or too much height in most cases. I'm confused... Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Personally, I had a Superquad 9.5 stiff, replaced the shaft with an NV-65 Stiff shaft and still had the same issue.. I had 14gm weights inthe front and 6 or 1 gms weights in the back, and still the ball had an incredible amount of back spin (4800rpms worth) and just lost distance on the club. GRanted at times I had good control but most times it just didn't do it for me.

I liked the feel of the club, but not the performance. It took some time for me to be able to hit it, I came from the BB II 415 to the 460 superq which in it's self took some time to get used too. But I never really liked the performance I got out of it. I hope you don't have the same issue.

SiD

WITB
What's in SiD's bag

Ogio Stand Bag
Driver
910D3 9.5 set to 8.5
907D2 9.5 VS Proto Stif

f3WoodCleveland XLS 15* Stiff

Irons TaylorMade Tour Preferred 4-9

Wedges Gun'd 48* & Vokey 58

Putter 34" XG #7

Paragraphs man. Paragraphs.

I second that... Was reading till line 4 and my eyes got tired...

Driver
909D2 9.5º w/ Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum Stiff

Woods
909F2 13.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway Stiff 909F2 18.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway StiffIrons MP60 3-PW w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Sensicore S300Wedges Vokey Design 200 Series Tour Chrome 52-08 w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold S200...

Hey All you budding English majors should ask Erik for a job writing for the site.CALM DOWN it is a blog and some people can not type as well as they may speak.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

Sorry guys, I'm new to this forum and have never really posted in any type of forum before. I will use your suggestions in the future. This place looked like a great place for me to ask my specific question. I thank ripsid for replying to the question at hand, but more input on the topic would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi, I'm no match for your swing however, I started with a regular men's Taylormade r7 (2 years old). I found that a Superquad stiff shaft is a better fit for me. Better control and better distance too. I need a lighter shaft so I think the one I tested is an nv-65. You probably need a heavier shaft. Best wishes on your new driver. I'm getting ready to either buy a Superquad 10.5 or the Cobra that I tested this summer except I dont' like the loud noise the Cobra makes.

Jennifer
--------------------
What's in my bag:
Nickent 4DX 9 deg V2 stiff driver
Tour Edge CB2 15 deg stiff fairway woodTour Edge #2,3,4 Tour Bazooka Hybrid (always take one out of the bag depending on the course)Soon: Adams Idea Pro 3+ 4+Tour Edge 5-PW Irons graphite regularSoon: Taylormade...

Note: This thread is 6062 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!