IGNORED

how far is your long game?

Note: This thread is 5904 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. where are you after the 2nd stroke?

• on the green
    • a chip away (5-20 yards from green)
    • almost there (21-50 yards from green)
    • kind of close (51-80 yards from green)
    • i can clearly see the pin (81-120 yards from green)
    • pw,9 or 8 hmmmm (121-145)
    • is that the flag or a tree? (146-more yards from green)

I have played and competed a great deal at sea level and I gotta tell you, sea level doesn't affect well struck golf shots to the degree you think it does.

I don't think I'm the one kidding myself. I know several very good,

very good golfers here in Myrtle (5 handicap and below, up to plus handicap and teaching professionals), and they will tell you to a man the sea level factor is real. Dude, you are at 5,400 feet. It's not 25%, but it damn sure is 10%. What's 10% of 150? Well, your 150 club is now your 140 club, at best . (and you have soft fairways and no roll in the desert? Interesting!)

Cleveland Launcher Comp, 9.5* stiff
TaylorMade V-Steel, T/S stiff
Cleveland Halo, 19* stiff
Mizuno MP-32, stiff
Cleveland 588 Gunmetal, 51*Cleveland 588 DSG RTG, 56*Scotty Cameron Newport II

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For your average handicap golfer? Heck yeah. Think about it this way: if you hit a 300 yard drive, you still have 240 yards left. How many handicap golfers can hit a green consistently from 240 yards (much less a 300 yard drive)? C'mon...

thank you crazy horst! my thoughts precisely....

Hoofer Vantage Bag Carrying:
DRIVER Fusion FT-3 Driver Proforce V2 65 Graphite Stiff
FAIRWAY WOOD G10 4-Wood
HYBRID G10 21 Degree
IRONS MX-25 Irons 3 thru PW Precision Rifle Shafts & Golf Pride GripsWEDGES CG10 56 & 60 Degree WedgesPUTTER 2-Ball SRT BALL ProV1xCLUB ...

I don't think I'm the one kidding myself. I know several very good,

Like I said its a half club for me. And when was the last time you were in Albuquerque? During the summer our fairways are very wet. They have to be that way or they would die.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Like I said its a half club for me. And when was the last time you were in Albuquerque? During the summer our fairways are very wet. They have to be that way or they would die.

You see that hippy-dude juice that iron over the green on that episode of the Big Break?

You see Gerry (Mr. Bodybuilder) misjudge yardages? Those Gateway Tour guys are so not used to hitting the ball above sea level, eh? Yet they've been around and know...

You see that hippy-dude juice that iron over the green on that episode of the Big Break?

Seriously! Mesquite, NV, is 1610 feet above sea level. These guys play the Gateway Tour (read: sea level), from SC to FL, and they're blasting it past their usual yardages... at

1,610 feet. Also, at the Frys.com Open outside Denver, I distinctly remember the commentators talking about how the players add 10% to their normal distances, i.e. their 150 club now went 165, a 300 yard drive would go 330, etc. That's at 5,800 feet. I think it's safe to say 5310 feet (where good ol' Albuquerque is) to sea level is a bit more than "half a club," unless you have 30 yard gaps between your clubs.

Mizuno MP-32, stiff

You guys are crazy if you thing 1610 is making that much a difference. Some yardage just plays longer. If you want to use those two examples then why not use Hiroshi when he thought he hit it perfect and came up 10 yards short.

Everyone occasionaly blasts one across the green especially when you are a long drive champion and body builder.

Seriously! Mesquite, NV, is 1610 feet above sea level. These guys play the Gateway Tour (read: sea level), from SC to FL, and they're blasting it past their usual yardages... at

In Ny I play at about 700 feet. I spent a week in Hilton Head and played the Ocean course and Harbour Town and the biggest influence on shot distance I believe is Humidity. The day I played Harbour Town it was much less humid and the ball seemed to travel further then when I played the Ocean course. .

In Ny I play at about 700 feet. I spent a week in Hilton Head and played the Ocean course and Harbour Town and the biggest influence on shot distance I believe is Humidity.

Well...

Although we say 'air is heavy' on hot, humid days, the air is actually slightly less dense when the humidity is higher. That's because the molecular weight of water is less than the average molecular weight of the relatively constant mixture of the other gases of dry air (nitrogen, oxygen, carbon dioxide and other trace gases). Therefore golf balls carry slightly further in humid air than in dry air. Air pressure also affects distance. Since higher altitudes have less air resistance than lower elevations, a golfer can hit the ball further at higher elevations. http://www.chicagosportsweather.com/ The density of air is higher at low temperature {cool days}, at high air pressure {sea level), and in a gas of higher molecular weight (more O2 and N2; less H2O). Under these conditions, there is more air resistance, so that well-hit balls will not travel quite so far. http://www.iit.edu/~smile/weekly/mp100703.html ~ Altitude - The altitude has an effect on distance. Keeping all factors equal, a ball hit at a higher altitude will go further than a ball hit at a lower altiture. This is due to the less resistance in the atomsphere. The air at higher altitude's is thinner than the air at lower altitude. A golf ball will travel a longer distance at a high altitude because there is less air resistance causing the ball to go further. http://clackhi.nclack.k12.or.us/Phys...ing/index.html http://wbztv.com/topstories/local_story_299202818.html The evidence is overwhelming, gents.

Mizuno MP-32, stiff

Sharp Park, Pacifica, CA has a uphill par 5 measuring 454 yards and on a good day I can reach it in two. My drivers are anywhere from 250-270 yards, and my 3 wood is 220 - 230 yards. My weakest part of my game is the short game around the green and within 50 yards. I need to work on these things to be more consistent.

In my Bag:
Taylor Made R5 TP 10.5 R Diamana
Taylor Made r7 3 wood 15 degree R
Taylor Made 5 Wood bubble shaft
Cleveland 24 Degree Hybrid steel shaft R
Irons: 5-pw Mizuno Mp33 Dynamic Gold R300
Wedges: 52, 56, 60 Mizuno mp series
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 33"
Ball: ProV1

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Well...

Well maybe when you get on the course the ball is flying further but after you have been swinging a club for an hour with 90 degree heat with severe humidity you get tired easier which leads to a power reduction.

Well maybe when you get on the course the ball is flying further but after you have been swinging a club for an hour with 90 degree heat with severe humidity you get tired easier which leads to a power reduction.

Sure.

Sure...

Mizuno MP-32, stiff

• 2 weeks later...
Two very good hits and I would be 10-50m short. Most likely I would lay up as I have never reached a Par5 over 500 yards in 2 shots.

23Rounder

Tour Burner 9.5 / RE*AX 60g Stiff
Launcher 13 & 17 Fairway / Fujikura Gold Stiff
MT Pro-C 3-W / DG S300 MP 52.07 Vokey SM58.12 Tracy II, 34" Putter Z-URS or NXT Tour

I'm generally one of the longer players in my groups in both in casual and tournament rounds. We have a straight-away 535 yd par 5. I can't recall seeing anyone putting it on the green in two. Ever.

We've got a dog leg 495yd hole and I've seen people put it on the green all the time. Way easier when you can cut the corner.

I'd have to answer this in several parts:

If I absolutely killed my shots, I'd be on - driver, 3 iron.

A "great" shot - meaning I actually didn't murder the ball - maybe on with driver, 3 wood. Or a chip away.

Average - 50 yards or more. Sometimes I'll murder the ball and end up in the trees and have to punch out, or something like that.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

Note: This thread is 5904 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!