IGNORED

My Swing (Triggers)

Triggers
Note: This thread is 2725 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Played a few 9 hole rounds at my local executive muni course. Not playing terrible ( averaging about 8 over through 9 on par 31~ ) but man, I can't shake the pushes with my irons.

Planning on taking my last lesson of the package I bought, chipping/putting has been saving me. Surprisingly my driver/3wood are doing pretty well; nothing like my irons  but I only hit them once or twice on that course anyways.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just looking at your latest videos (and take my advice with a pinch of salt, i'd hate to give my opinion and screw your work up)

The face on 7I looks like you have the ball waaaaaay forward, almost in the same position as your driver? I dont know if that is to give yourself more time to close the face? but that far forward on an iron i would of thought may lead you to hold the face open and facilitate a push, it also looks like it makes your shoulders setup open to target, but FO could just be my depth perception being off? although someone more conversed in the swing may have a better understanding of that

The other thing I notice is how you seem to fall back on the follow through and dont get your weight far enough forward over your right leg, this could from my understanding add loft/openess to the club and again cause the push

Final thing is you posture, looks fine on your driver but on your 7I it looks very "S" shaped and bent over, you could be stood to far away from the ball?, ive just finished reading a great thread on here about that which would help, but cant find it now, hopefully someone else could chime in and link it

congrats on the scores dropping by the way, wish mine went that way as quickly!

:tmade: Driver: TM Superfast 2.0 - 9.5degree - Reg flex
:mizuno: 3 Wood: JPX800 - 16* Exhsar5 Stiff
:mizuno: 3 - PW: MP-67 Cut Muscle back - S300 stiff
:slazenger: Sand Wedge: 54degree, 12degree bounce
:slazenger: Lob Wedge: 60degree 10degree bounce
:ping: Putter: Karsten 1959 Anser 2 Toe weighted
:mizuno: Bag - Cart Style

22 minutes ago, carpediem4300 said:

Just looking at your latest videos (and take my advice with a pinch of salt, i'd hate to give my opinion and screw your work up)

The face on 7I looks like you have the ball waaaaaay forward, almost in the same position as your driver? I dont know if that is to give yourself more time to close the face? but that far forward on an iron i would of thought may lead you to hold the face open and facilitate a push, it also looks like it makes your shoulders setup open to target, but FO could just be my depth perception being off? although someone more conversed in the swing may have a better understanding of that

The other thing I notice is how you seem to fall back on the follow through and dont get your weight far enough forward over your right leg, this could from my understanding add loft/openess to the club and again cause the push

Final thing is you posture, looks fine on your driver but on your 7I it looks very "S" shaped and bent over, you could be stood to far away from the ball?, ive just finished reading a great thread on here about that which would help, but cant find it now, hopefully someone else could chime in and link it

congrats on the scores dropping by the way, wish mine went that way as quickly!

Ball is definitely very far forward, and you're right that is/was an attempt to give myself time to square the face. I meant to use it as sort of a practice drill but it snuck into my normal setup. Thinking about it more, assuming I'm trying to take the same swing and the ball is way forward - couldn't my swing path be almost out-to-in at that point? See crappy 10 second paint drawing -

rpSf2Gv.png

As for the shoulders being open, they might; but the camera angle isn't the best - I think it's a little in front of a true FO shot. I can see what you mean about hanging back. 

Posture - Probably right, comparing it to a few tour pros it looks like I'm a little too flex at the knees and a little too flexed at the waist. In theory, standing up a little straighter should flatten out the swing plane a bit maybe and help me turn 'around my waist' that should help with dipping in my back swing that I struggle with.

Thanks for taking the time to watch and comment!

No worries at all

Your picture makes sense (although being a righty it took me a minute or so to flip it round in my head :banana:

Ive attached a similarly quick/crappy drawing from paint, the black dot that would be the ball position in your stance having it so forward is outside of the swing curve, to me that would end up possibly straightening the end of the downswing curve in an effort to reach the ball? and if your weight is going backwards even more so, which would open the face into impact

Untitled.png

(edited)

Played over the weekend, moving the ball back to a 'normal' ball position seemed to help a lot. Still having an occasional push, but in all it felt much better than lately on the range. 

Shot a 93, with some horrendous putting ( I think 5 3 putts, and some missed short ones that should have easily been 1 putts ). Didn't lose a single ball all day, which is nice; score probably coulda been at least 2 strokes lower not counting the putts. I hit a really long drive for me ( probabl 270-280 ) that was in the trees left and was looking for the ball about 20-30 yards short of where it was... ended up taking an ob drop assuming it went out beyond the sticks and made 7..   Next hole I was long on a par 3 that ran parallel to the previous hole and found my original drive that was only about 30-40 yards from the green :( at worst it was probably a bogey 5 from there ( chip up and 3 putt lol ) 

Planning a lesson in a week or two to try to figure out why I'm occasionally pushing still.

Edited by Triggers

Sweet, sounds like the ball position move helped a little, you may need to play around with it a bit to find the most consistent position for you that works.

With the driver I get a push/push slice when my arms disconnect from my chest and get stuck behind me, I swing in to out with a face either square or open to that path = push/push slice, I try to focus on maintaining the triangle i create with my arms at setup, all the way through the backswing and all the way through the downswing, it helps to have a nice and relaxed transition from the top, too quick and i snatch my tourso round and leave my arms behind, obviously this is all feel and i dont fully maintain this triangle, my right arm still folds etc but its the feel that helps me keep my hands inline with my sternum throughout the swing, it may help you, or it may be a different feel etc, the one warning with this is if you sync yourself up more I started pulling shots because my weight shift is not great, so kind of fixed one problem and created another,....

relaxed transition from the top, too quick and i snatch my tourso round and leave my arms behind, obviously this is all feel and i dont fully maintain this triangle, 

This is a big thing I've been working on constantly, my instructor always gets on me during my lessons for being to aggressive at the top. I've been trying to 'feel' like I'm putting a Matsuyama type pause at the top, which really ends up being a tiny pause / slow down lol

so kind of fixed one problem and created another,....

Pretty much sums up golf LOL

Thanks for following along, I'll give that triangle mental thought a try next time I'm at the range. Really sucks now that the time has changed :( No more 5:30-6pm sneaking to the local course!

Edited by Triggers

have you solved the pushes but created another problem now?

I noticed at the range last night If i stood to a ball, did a waggle then did a smooth backswing and downswing the result was good but sporadic, i then noticed that if i stood to the ball, did a waggle then paused for a second everything kind of settled and the backswing was automatically smooth and shots less sporadic, i dont know why, its likely a feel for me, but i agree on your thoughts of the transition though, less jerky is good

No new problems yet, actually haven't gotten to the range this week yet. 

Biggest thing for me during preshot is keeping a consistent routine, I don't do a waggle but sort of a club lift and grip pressure adjustment. If I get up and rush it, things feel off and usually results in a bad shot. I don't have the mental discipline yet to notice it and just back off / reset.

The pause you do after the waggle might relax your arms/wrist a bit that allows for the smooth swing, even if it is just a 'feel'

Note: This thread is 2725 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!